Tenor Sax suggestions please!

• Members

I'm a seasoned musician and I want to learn saxophone enough to play horn parts in a blues/rock band situation, and possibly progress from there. What can I expect to pay for a decent enough beginner horn that would also be gig worthy? What are good brands for my purpose? Thanks!

• Members

This is something that I tell trumpet players looking for their first "good" horn:

Buy a used pro-level model if you can. Generally, it'll be no more than a new student model in price and the difference in quality is vast. And if you decide not to stick with it, you can re-sell a used horn for almost 100% the original price which will not happen with student horns!

Yamaha and Selmer are probably the two biggest sax makers. I've also worked on vintage Conn saxophones that were good quality, though I do stress the old part. Most Conns after '75 or so aren't really that great.

• Members

I've got a '72 Selmer Mark VI that I'll never play again. I had it overhauled about 6 years ago and it's been cased ever since. Earlier examples are more highly regarded, but it is a monster horn (and comes with a nice little mouthpiece collection).

I probably want way more than you want to spend, but let me know if you're interested, I can on rare occasion be reasonable. :thu:

• Members

I've got a '72 Selmer Mark VI that I'll never play again. I had it overhauled about 6 years ago and it's been cased ever since. Earlier examples are more highly regarded, but it is a monster horn (and comes with a nice little mouthpiece collection).

I probably want way more than you want to spend, but let me know if you're interested, I can on rare occasion be reasonable.
:thu:

Thanks, but after doing a little checking I'm sure that what you have is WAY too rich for my blood. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Buy a used pro-level model if you can. Generally, it'll be no more than a new student model in price and the difference in quality is vast. And if you decide not to stick with it, you can re-sell a used horn for almost 100% the original price which will not happen with student horns!

Yamaha and Selmer are probably the two biggest sax makers. I've also worked on vintage Conn saxophones that were good quality, though I do stress the old part. Most Conns after '75 or so aren't really that great.

Why spend $1000 on a used scratched up ugly old horn when you can get a brand new shiny POS out-of-tune pot metal Taiwanese sax for only $999?

But seriously, what sunburstbasser said is too true. Buy used. Go to saxontheweb.com and peruse the saxes for sale section, you can find out much about what horns are good and quickly find a reputable seller.

And now that you ask, I've got a Dolnet tenor that's in fine shape, a great rock and blues sax, that I'm considering parting with. Made in the late 50s in Paris, it's a great old horn for around $1000. There's lots more out there, definitely shop around and ask lots of questions.

For a NEW horn worth keeping, expect to pay $2000+, and lots more than that if you start looking at new Selmers, Keilwerths, or Yamahas, some of the biggest names in pro horns right now.

• Members

As a proud Dad (the guy who forked out the money)of a tenor player, I agree with the Yamaha YTS-62 advice. That horn has gotten my son through 4 years of high school and 1 season of college football marching band and into basketball pep band with minimal repairs and minimal TLC from him.:thu:

Archived