• Members

Just picked up a Conn 28K Satin silver with gold trim 4 valved Eb sousaphone. I've been wanting to get a good sousaphone for awhile now and when I came across this one the wife said yes so I did it:thu: The little I've played it so far it seems to have a good response throughout the range. Gonna take it out to my classroom tomorrow and run through some of the pep band tunes with my students this week and then take it to the Octuber fest in a couple of weeks to run it through its paces.

Here's a link to some pics if anybody is interested: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26639&id=1662936609&l=65e65b8106

• Members

You will most commonly find sousaphones (and the typical school horn) pitched in Bb (or BBb if you prefer). In the early part of the 20th Century a lot of schools in the US started tuba players on Eb horns as the transition from a Bb trupmet or baritone was an easier one; also because most Eb's are typically smaller in size and therefore require a little less air, though you are a brass player and understand that may not always be the case ;)

Anyway, most sousaphones are BBb, but as my personal tuba is an Eb I've been looking for a good Eb sousaphone or helicon to use and came across this one so went ahead a jumped on it. I just ran it through some of my solo works and etudes and it plays very well with only one or two funky notes that can easily be fixed with alternate fingerings. All in all I am happy with this horn so far.

• Members

I bought it in the hopes of eventually getting a strolling type dixie jazz group going and the sousaphone would be more practical for that type of setting. I also figured if I'm going to continue teaching in smaller rural schools that I will continue playing at the games with my pep bands so I'd rather have a good Eb rather than continue to go from my Eb concert tuba to a BBb sousaphone and occasionally miss a note because I fogot which horn I had:facepalm:

That and I just really wanted one to call my own:love:

• Members

And why I have a professional euphonium, a bass trombone, a straight tenor trombone (in addition to my wife's), and a 2 valved baritone bugle pitched in G. Who knows what tomorrow's adventures will bring to the growing family
:lol:

My college had a SWEET 5-valve C tuba. Everyone should have one!

• Members

That is a nice sousaphone you got there. I started out on Tuba what seems years ago. I had a full-ride playing for a local college but ended up dropping out of the Music Ed. Program.... Biggest mistake of my life. I mainly played BBb and C but did use an Eb from time to time for solo work... Great keyed instrument. I definitely like them, and you sousa find there. VERY NICE

Archived