Old York double french horn help

• Members

I recently acquired an old, silver, double french horn. On the horn it says: YORK, GRAND RAPIDS MICH. USA. It has the serial no. 92313 and another number of 177 on the 1st valve. Does anyone have any info on this horn? When it was made? What is the 177 for? I have tried googling it-no help.

• Members

York was at one time a very high-end maker of brass instruments. In the US, most of their stuff seems to be older than about 1950. The York brand is still around, but to my knowledge it is not the same company.

Some manufacturers will mark slides to match the horn, but usually they use a partial serial number. I can't explain why they would use 177, unless its a batch number or something similar.

Try a look here; do any of these look familiar?

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/display.php?secondsel=+and+instrument%3D%22French+Horn%22&selby=+where+maker%3D%22York%22

• Members

I recently acquired an old, silver, double french horn. On the horn it says: YORK, GRAND RAPIDS MICH. USA. It has the serial no. 92313 and another number of 177 on the 1st valve. Does anyone have any info on this horn? When it was made? What is the 177 for? I have tried googling it-no help.

It does have rotary valves ... correct?

It is not uncommon, especially among older / vintage horns, for parts to be substituted from "cadaver horns". I do it myself. Whatever it takes, to make a good horn "whole", once more.

You may have a horn that has a valve (or valve parts) from a different horn. No big deal. Don't be concerned.

Too many people are becoming what I call "horn anthropologists". They are compelled to research every aspect of the horn's history. Why? :confused:

Just enjoy the horn and play it. :thu:

Archived