Melodicas??

• Members

My son, who's a sax player, has requested a Melodica for his birthday??

A quick check shows that while most are not that pricey, there's a big difference in price ranges and styles.

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

I know I'm not giving out much info here, but any help would be appreciated!

• Members

While I know nothing about the instruments, I see that Yamaha offers one. Yamaha is pretty much always good quality and affordable.

Did you ask him why he wants a melodica? Thats a bit unusual, it seems. Maybe if you can get an idea of what he wants to do you'll better be able to find one to fit his desires.

• Members

While I know nothing about the instruments, I see that Yamaha offers one. Yamaha is pretty much always good quality and affordable.

Did you ask him why he wants a melodica? Thats a bit unusual, it seems. Maybe if you can get an idea of what he wants to do you'll better be able to find one to fit his desires.

Thanks for the comments. He's apparently heard some jazz sax player has been experimenting with it -- didn't say who.

You're right about Yamaha - he has a Yamaha Custom Alto and I have a Yamaha keyboard. Both are great instruments.

I've been looking at the Hoehner HM 32; mid-range price wise. Altho an equivalent Yamaha is actually a bit cheaper.

• Members

I bet he's talking about saxophonist Jason Ellis, it was him that also drove me to get one! The site melodica dot com it probably your best bet. There's a 60 dollar model whoch I have and its ok, some notes are out of tune. The 115 dollar model seems like a step up. Other than the intonation problems its great, and I've even red that you can tune them though I haven't tried yet. Anyway, good luck!

• Members

I bet he's talking about saxophonist Jason Ellis, it was him that also drove me to get one! The site melodica dot com it probably your best bet. There's a 60 dollar model whoch I have and its ok, some notes are out of tune. The 115 dollar model seems like a step up. Other than the intonation problems its great, and I've even red that you can tune them though I haven't tried yet. Anyway, good luck!

Thanks, I'll check that site out!

Archived