Sax microphone

• Members

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I've been thinking of posting this for a while.

I'm looking for a good mic that I can bring with me to gigs. I'm currently in a rock band with three horns (Me on Tenor, plus a Trombonist and Trumpet player). What's really annoying me is that certain notes, specifically notes that require pressing all the keys below A, come out pretty clearly with the bell in front of the mic. Any notes with a lot of open keys, e.g. C#, get lost in the mix because most of the sound is coming out of the keys, not the bell. We did some recording, and the guy who recorded us pointed the mic sort of halfway between the bell and keys. It was a genius solution that worked great, but it doesn't work as well live, where the soundguys don't always know what to do with horn players, and the mic's aren't necessarily ideal. So I've been thinking of just buying my own mic for live stuff.

• Members

Sennheiser MD421

Large diaphragm, no proximity effect to speak of, rugged as can be, and it will not change your tone like those other mics I've tried (and I've tried many).

I was needing a new mic, and I went to my local music store. The owner took a 421 out of his recording studio and said I could try it for the weekend, and if I liked it he would order one for me.

I was playing Sundays upstairs at a yacht basin in a room with open windows. A musician friend of mine came to see us, and when she came in she said "What did you do to your sax! It sounds great! I could hear the difference in the parking lot!!!"

It's simply the best dynamic mic you can get for a saxophone.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Sennheiser MD421

Large diaphragm, no proximity effect to speak of, rugged as can be, and it will not change your tone like those other mics I've tried (and I've tried many).

I was needing a new mic, and I went to my local music store. The owner took a 421 out of his recording studio and said I could try it for the weekend, and if I liked it he would order one for me.

I was playing Sundays upstairs at a yacht basin in a room with open windows. A musician friend of mine came to see us, and when she came in she said "What did you do to your sax! It sounds great! I could hear the difference in the parking lot!!!"

It's simply the best dynamic mic you can get for a saxophone.

Insights and incites by Notes

Ok, well, are there any good mic's that don't cost almost $400.00?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Try a clip- on dynamic on the bell ( I use an AKG ) , and a small diaphram condensor on a stand out front.

The clip-on is the sort that is normally used for drums...

The small diaphram condensor should be cardoid, and carefully angled away from other sources. Condensors can be hell on a stage if you're not careful, but well worth it for me.

I ain't rich , and this set-up ain't cheap ( around $ 500.00 in my case )... but a good sound's about all I want in the world.

I have a mic stand out front of me for vocals, so it's pretty convenient to clip on a gooseneck for the condensor...

I do my own sub-mix with a small mixer ( yamaha mg85cx - which has fx ) and hand the sound man a trs insert cable or a mono send.

A friend of mine does a similar thing with a clip-on drum mic, but- he then uses one of those little clip-on condensors ( also attached to the bell ) and aims it up the body. I think that if he played in as loud and full-range an environment that I do... he would get lots of feedback on the condensor.

• Members

It is definitely a matter of taste, but personally I don't like the sound of a sax with the bell mic. The sound of the bell balanced with what is coming out of the key stack sounds much more sax-like to my ears. The bell mic misses some of the nice harmonics I like to hear. But as I said, that's me.

I like to put the 421 pointing towards the place between the bell and the body and about as high as the upper A key on my sax.

Notes

Archived