What breath controller will work with VMK-161 by StudioLogic?

• Members

I'm looking at testing out the 'graded action' of the VMK-161 by StudioLogic FATAR.

Does anyone know if there's a breath controller that will work with the VMK-161 keyboard?

Thanks in advance.

--Just Registered. Researching keyboards and what to put into the DAW.

• Members

If I understand the product description on their webpage, none.

You use a breath controller to control a SYNTH (which responds to midi CC controller data), not another controller which just outputs midi data....

(For example, I use a WX-5 to control synths like Garritan Jazz&BigBand, Kontakt and hardware synths like a VL70-m.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If your keyboard controller has a 1/8" input designed for a breath controller, then buy a Yamaha BC3A breath controller and plug it in.

But I don't think it does; afaik the only in-production keyboards that have breath controller inputs are produced by Yamaha and CME.

MIDI Solutions makes a breath controller interface box that can be placed between any two MIDI devices, such as your keyboard and a synth rack. It has a MIDI in, a MIDI out, and a 1/8" breath controller jack. It converts the breath controller's voltage into MIDI bytes and merges them with the incoming data stream.

I've got one. It works, but it's expensive. It's also not as expressive or responsive as an out-of-production Kurzweil Expressionmate I have. It's fast enough for swells and crescendos, but if you want to tongue notes on a physically modeled instrument it may seem a little coarse or sluggish.

Archived