Alto sax, Dukoff D7 Help Please!

• Members

Hey, I have a gig on April 4th where I have to play saxophone. I play only a couple times a year now, but I've been able to get through.

Now I notice a problem .... The sax sounds real good on the low notes all the way up to middle F#. I tune to F# right on, the lower notes are a bit flat, but I can usually adjust as I go along. As the notes go higher than F# they start to get really really sharp, to a point where the high C# is extremely sharp, whereas a middle C# (all open) is just a little flat, but okay. The second problem is those high notes are squeaking a lot.

Granted, I only play a few times a year and the saxophone is old, but after 13 years of playing I haven't really ever had tone and intonation problems like this.

I doubt it is the saxophone itself, because the majority of the notes sounds great. Last time I played when it was working fine, I had a 3 reed, now I have a 2 1/2 ...Could this be a cause indicative of the problem?

It could be the ligature, but I'm most suspecting of the mouthpiece. It's a Dukoff D7. I never really paid attention, but I notice that the mouthpiece hole that goes into the neck isn't a perfect circle. I don't know if this is the typical shape of it.

Here is a pic I took with my phone:

?ui=2&ik=4e40721f3b&view=att&th=120453d2

As you may be able to see the bottom of the hole is sort of flat

• Members

Hi there, go right back to the 3 strength, no doubt this is too much of a change. I play 3.5 on all my horns regardless of what mouthpiece I use and how open or closed each one is. Don't worry about the Dukoff being warped at the shank end because they are made of such soft metal (what they call silverite is really pewter-like.), you can worry if the beak and/or tip gets bent out of shape. Their quality from mouthpiece to mouthpiece can vary quite dramatically as well.

Anyway, you may feel that there is nothing wrong mechanically with your sax but , by your own admission you play only a few times a year and maybe a cork or felt stopper was dislodged and or fell out entirely in the upper stack.

Take it to a tech, especially if your gig is just a week away.

• Members

Hi there, go right back to the 3 strength, no doubt this is too much of a change. I play 3.5 on all my horns regardless of what mouthpiece I use and how open or closed each one is. Don't worry about the Dukoff being warped at the shank end because they are made of such soft metal (what they call silverite is really pewter-like.), you can worry if the beak and/or tip gets bent out of shape. Their quality from mouthpiece to mouthpiece can vary quite dramatically as well.

Anyway, you may feel that there is nothing wrong mechanically with your sax but , by your own admission you play only a few times a year and maybe a cork or felt stopper was dislodged and or fell out entirely in the upper stack.

Take it to a tech, especially if your gig is just a week away.

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right on .. I found an old 3, it was even chipped but worked a little better than the 2.5. There was still some squeaking though. I'm going to pick up some 3s this week and have the sax checked out.

Better than having to pick up a new Dukoff for 170 bucks I suppose.

• Members

Cool, man...yeah, saxophone is very unforgiving once the reed goes bad; if you can bend the tip slightly, with great care mind you and it keeps that form, it's time to move on. Check your upper stack and make sure that you're getting good seals on those pads, too. Good luck with the gig!

Archived