• Members

Well i am a guitarist, and it is just as hard, just different, i bet you cant play a chord on one wood wind instrument, but at the same time, you just have to get a good guitar for good tone.

it all evens out, well accept for violin, it has the hard of both worlds, my sister plays and i tried once only to be instantly defeated.

• Members

i suppose :rolleyes: but i like guitar better,

and can you do this.....:rawk: on a harmonica? or an accordion? well i guess those arent woodwind but still.

dont get me wrong though, i think all instruments are amazing(accept kazoo) Personally i just like playing guitar better. i do admit it takes much more skill to play any woodwind!!!

• Members

accordion uses reeds and airflow to make sound--it is a woodwind, and a damn awesome one at that!

but yeah, it seems that everyone "plays" guitar--it's pretty cool. It's not so cool to play something like trombone. Yes, everybody here thinks it's cool, but the masses (especially in high school) do not :(

• Members

Chords on a brass instrument? Sure. Multiphonics. Anyone dig Bill Watrous? If not, you must. I couldn't find any good Watrous multiphonic video on the web, but here's video of James Morrison doing some crazy {censored}e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1H3AvcFiZU&feature=related

Digeridoo players are the masters of multiphonics.

Chords on a woodwind? The legendary Rahsaan Roland Kirk:

RolandKirk.jpg

• Members

accordion uses reeds and airflow to make sound--it is a woodwind, and a damn awesome one at that!

but yeah, it seems that everyone "plays" guitar--it's pretty cool. It's not so cool to play something like trombone. Yes, everybody here thinks it's cool, but the masses (especially in high school) do not
:(

it is cool to play trombone:mad:

• Members

:thu: damn right...

Chords on a brass instrument? Sure. Multiphonics. Anyone dig Bill Watrous? If not, you must. I couldn't find any good Watrous multiphonic video on the web, but here's video of James Morrison doing some crazy {censored}e.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1H3AvcFiZU&feature=related

Digeridoo players are the masters of multiphonics.

Chords on a woodwind? The legendary Rahsaan Roland Kirk:

RolandKirk.jpg

• Members

"It takes more dedication, perseverance and skill to coax a good tone out of a horn than to buy a guitar and bang our three chords."

You can quote me but not over on the guitar board....

;-)

Speaking personally, as someone who started out on clarinet, but spends most of his free/practice time on a guitar, I can very much agree. I was thinking the other day, trying to get a guitar part down, that "I only have to move my fingers!" That is, I only have to worry about four fingers one hand, and I don't have to worry about breath control, ombuchure, etc...

Scott

• Members

Well i am a guitarist, and it is just as hard, just different, i bet you cant play a chord on one wood wind instrument, but at the same time, you just have to get a good guitar for good tone.

it all evens out, well accept for violin, it has the hard of both worlds, my sister plays and i tried once only to be instantly defeated.

Well, you can get polyphony on a clarinet, if you know how. But it's a fairly advanced trick (and they don't teach it in high school...) :)

Scott

• Members

Speaking personally, as someone who started out on clarinet, but spends most of his free/practice time on a guitar, I can very much agree. I was thinking the other day, trying to get a guitar part down, that "I only have to move my
fingers!
" That is, I only have to worry about four fingers one hand, and I don't have to worry about breath control, ombuchure, etc...

Scott

I think people are just better matched to different instruments. I tried, a long time ago, to play guitar, but it was not happening! There's too much "thinking", as you have to put each finger in a certain place, then God forbid, if you want to play leads, then you have to hold a chord down with one hand, while playing the other six strings, while moving your fingers on the left hand, and still somehow have it all flow together into something that makes melodic sense! Forgettabout it, no way, it's Greek to me, and I've always wondered how guitars are so widely played....

With a sax or flute, it's far more intuitive, and you really can play by "sense of feel" (& pinball too, I guess), as I've always been able to play with my eyes closed. Plus, they go down to up, the more pads shut the lower the note, less shut, higher, so playing is like a "massage" of sorts, or even like surfing....

So no, IMHO, I'd say definitely a big NO to guitar being "easier" than a sax, and I've heard enough guitarists with a lousy tone, to know it ain't all that easy to get that happening either. People may say drums are "easy" too, but there's no way in the world I could EVER play four different rhythms, one with each limb,.....nope, I can shake or hit one thing at a time, do it well, but it stops at one.

Melody is it for me...... I can think complex things, but on the physical plane......nope.

Oh, I guess if I played like Richie Havens, just moving one finger up and down the fretboard, yeah, then I could play guitar..... :thu:

• Members

Thats actually what most guitarists do-grab a barre chord, slide it around. Its not that different from sax; you don't consciously think about which fingers to put down to play an A, you just do. The average guitarist isn't doing anything really complex that actually involves moving lots of fingers, and good ones just view it the same as you do when you slap those keys down.

• Members

Unless your playing jazz, look up some jazz guitar chords, and some scales, see how de jazz guitarists play, that is the hardest guitar gets. there is some real finger work.

ANY jazz player is gonna be good. Its like finding a {censored}ty principal trumpet player in an orchestra-not gonna happen!

• Members

SBB, you sound like an expert on saxophone...actually, lump clarinet, flute, and double reed players into the same category while you're at it because they have to move fingers around a lot too. I didn't realize guitar players were so familiar with the bohm system...:)

Thats actually what most guitarists do-grab a barre chord, slide it around. Its not that different from sax; you don't consciously think about which fingers to put down to play an A, you just do. The average guitarist isn't doing anything really complex that actually involves moving lots of fingers, and good ones just view it the same as you do when you slap those keys down.

Archived