im looking for a tuba player.

• Members

I was thinking about starting a brass choir here (I'm a professional musician in NYC, it won't be a problem finding players ;) ), but I was wishy-washy about committing to getting gigs, so it never happened. I'd want to somehow get into the wedding circle so we can do little classical cocktail hours and charge ridiculous fees :)

• Members

I was thinking about starting a brass choir here (I'm a professional musician in NYC, it won't be a problem finding players
;)
), but I was wishy-washy about committing to getting gigs, so it never happened. I'd want to somehow get into the wedding circle so we can do little classical cocktail hours and charge ridiculous fees
:)

yeah getting your band gigs is always harder than finding players or music. well finding a tuba player is pretty hard though.:o

for a brass ensemble id recommend playing a few free gigs or a few for tips and setting up a website.

• Members

Want a great quintet repetoire suggestion? Michael Kamen's "Quintet". It was a Canadian Brass commission and turned out to be the last thing he wrote before he died. Beautiful piece of music, requires great intonation (then again, doesn't everything?).

I bought a copy to play with my kids. I haven't had time to simplify the tuba part for my youngest daughter (she's been playing less than 2 years) and we don't have a trombone player in the family. But, one of these days.

Here's a link to the CB's "video" for "Quintet":

• Members

Want a great quintet repetoire suggestion? Michael Kamen's "Quintet". It was a Canadian Brass commission and turned out to be the last thing he wrote before he died. Beautiful piece of music, requires great intonation (then again, doesn't everything?).

I bought a copy to play with my kids. I haven't had time to simplify the tuba part for my youngest daughter (she's been playing less than 2 years) and we don't have a trombone player in the family. But, one of these days.

beautiful song. is it in the latest compilation of Canadian brass sheet music?

• Members

I know quite a few tuba players. Those that I talk to have gone off to other colleges or don't play anymore, though. =

Also there's some that were in our concert band. I don't know how willing they'd be to do it, but it's a worth a try... maybe?

• Members

I know quite a few tuba players. Those that I talk to have gone off to other colleges or don't play anymore, though. =

Also there's some that were in our concert band. I don't know how willing they'd be to do it, but it's a worth a try... maybe?

you could bring your basoon:idea:

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxtdfPTLGI&feature=related

Wow Hail.gif

Although, am I the only one who thinks the video was cheesey as all getout?

• Members

:DI'm here, but unfortunately I'm about 12 hours away and getting ready to move North:D.

Seriously though, check with the local colleges or community bands. Surely there has to be somebody in the area that would love to play. I love playing quintet stuff so I wish you well:thu:

• Members

:DI'm here, but unfortunately I'm about 12 hours away and getting ready to move North:D.

Seriously though, check with the local colleges or community bands. Surely there has to be somebody in the area that would love to play. I love playing quintet stuff so I wish you well:thu:

we could get a projector and film crew and have tuba via satellite :idea:

it would be a good gimmick but it would lose its charm pretty quick.:freak:

• Members

Get a copy of Eric Ewazen's "A Western Fanfare." Its another beautiful quintet piece. He has a few others for quintet as well.

Otherwise, aren't there like 4 colleges/universities in the Tulsa/Stillwater area? Surely one of the professors can give you the name of a tuba student who is worth the price of the mouthpiece.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Otherwise, aren't there like 4 colleges/universities in the Tulsa/Stillwater area? Surely one of the professors can give you the name of a tuba student who is worth the price of the mouthpiece.

Yeah, it sounds like a good plan, you should check into it. You can always find some good players in colleges.:thu:

Archived