Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 mandolin lately?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has anyone bought a Kentucky KM-140 mandolin lately?

    Does it have a carved top? I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm on the verge of ordering one, but if it does not have a carved top, I'm going to order "The Loar" LM170 instead.
    __________________________________________________
    Hello there.

  • #2
    Originally posted by erok123 View Post
    Does it have a carved top? I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm on the verge of ordering one, but if it does not have a carved top, I'm going to order "The Loar" LM170 instead.

    The Kentucky has a solid top, however it is not a carved solid top.

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...model-mandolin


    The Loar has a hand carved solid top. Loar actually make ok instruments.


    I played and A style Flat Iron for decades and then stepped up to a Gibson.
    If I was to choose between a A style and the F style, I would definitely go with the F style. They are a bit warmer.

    So in the 300 bucks range this is my pick.





    If you ever want to amplify it K&K or L R Baggs M Radius which is a nice stick on pick up. Plus you want a pre amp, before it hits the board or amplifier.

    Hope this helps a bit.
    _____________________________________
    Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

    Join Date: Aug 2001
    Location: N. Adams, MA USA
    Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

    Comment


    • #3
      TYVM! Yes, I'm going to pull the trigger on "The Loar".
      __________________________________________________
      Hello there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by erok123 View Post
        TYVM! Yes, I'm going to pull the trigger on "The Loar".

        I feel that it's better than the Kentucky one.
        They do a nice set up too. I believe The Loars are set up up the USA.

        _____________________________________
        Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

        Join Date: Aug 2001
        Location: N. Adams, MA USA
        Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

        Comment


        • erok123
          erok123 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Elderly will finish any setup needed as well. I can't wait for it show up at my door next week.

      • #5
        Awww shoot. The guys over at the Mandocafe say the Kentucky is carved, but it ain't. I emailed someone at Elderly to verify. He recommended The Loar, so I'm good...
        __________________________________________________
        Hello there.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by erok123 View Post
          Awww shoot. The guys over at the Mandocafe say the Kentucky is carved, but it ain't. I emailed someone at Elderly to verify. He recommended The Loar, so I'm good...
          Awesome


          _____________________________________
          Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

          Join Date: Aug 2001
          Location: N. Adams, MA USA
          Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

          Comment


          • #7
            The Loar came in today. Happy NMD to me! Honestly, I was surprised in a positive way. It's very nice for a $250 instrument. I got 10% off that, since Elderly is kindly offering a discount for new customers. The only flaws I can see are under the part of the neck that hangs over the bridge, but I guess that's to be expected for an instrument in this price range. Still, that's a point or two off. The satin finish is attractive, and the fret work is very good, if not excellent. I'll post pictures and a clip at some point.

            One of the main reasons I picked The Loar over the Kentucky was that it has a lifetime warranty, where the Kentucky only has a year warranty. I like a manufacturer that stands behind it's products. Notice I didn't say "maker". Heh.

            It's got fairly heavy strings compared to my Rogue, not sure if I'm crazy about those. I'll play them for a bit, though. I have a pack of Ernie Ball light strings I will install when I get up a bit of moto. Now to start saving up for my next MAS attack. And thanks for your opinions.

            I will dutifully post a review in the HC review section after I've played it for a few days.
            Last edited by erok123; 11-07-2017, 01:41 PM.
            __________________________________________________
            Hello there.

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by erok123 View Post
              The Loar came in today. Happy NMD to me! Honestly, I was surprised in a positive way. It's very nice for a $250 instrument. I got 10% off that, since Elderly is kindly offering a discount for new customers. The only flaws I can see are under the part of the neck that hangs over the bridge, but I guess that's to be expected for an instrument in this price range. Still, that's a point or two off. The satin finish is attractive, and the fret work is very good, if not excellent. I'll post pictures and a clip at some point.

              One of the main reasons I picked The Loar over the Kentucky was that it has a lifetime warranty, where the Kentucky only has a year warranty. I like a manufacturer that stands behind it's products. Notice I didn't say "maker". Heh.

              It's got fairly heavy strings compared to my Rogue, not sure if I'm crazy about those. I'll play them for a bit, though. I have a pack of Ernie Ball light strings I will install when I get up a bit of moto. Now to start saving up for my next MAS attack. And thanks for your opinions.

              I will dutifully post a review in the HC review section after I've played it for a few days.

              _____________________________________
              Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

              Join Date: Aug 2001
              Location: N. Adams, MA USA
              Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

              Comment













              Working...
              X