Live Sound Suggestions For Mandolin

• Members

I'm looking for opinions on how to amplify or reinforce an acoustic electric mandolin. I really have it narrowed down to two options.

My first option is to run the mandolin into a acoustic amp like a Fishman Loudbox and then mic the amp. I have played through a loudbox before and the sound was unbelievably good.

My second option is two run the mandolin through a preamp straight to the mixer, using something like a ToneBone PZ Pre. The reason I mentioed the PZ Pre exactly is because it has dual inputs. That way I could connect my mandolin and acoustic guitar into the preamp and A B the two through the same channel on my mixer. This would really be a convenience for me, but sound is more important than convenience.

Just for the record I'll be using the mandolin to play country, but kind of an "electric" country. Definitely not "Bro Country", I guess the best example I can come up with is something like Marty Stuart High On A Mountain Top.

Anyway, any suggestion mentioned or not mentioned here would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
I'm looking for opinions on how to amplify or reinforce an acoustic electric mandolin. I really have it narrowed down to two options.

My first option is to run the mandolin into a acoustic amp like a Fishman Loudbox and then mic the amp. I have played through a loudbox before and the sound was unbelievably good.

My second option is two run the mandolin through a preamp straight to the mixer, using something like a ToneBone PZ Pre. The reason I mentioed the PZ Pre exactly is because it has dual inputs. That way I could connect my mandolin and acoustic guitar into the preamp and A B the two through the same channel on my mixer. This would really be a convenience for me, but sound is more important than convenience.

Just for the record I'll be using the mandolin to play country, but kind of an "electric" country. Definitely not "Bro Country", I guess the best example I can come up with is something like Marty Stuart High On A Mountain Top.

Anyway, any suggestion mentioned or not mentioned here would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a Fishman Loud box, it's hard to beat. I have one of the of the black loudbox performer, that I have played guitar through. Now my search for a really good pick up for my mandolin hasn't happened. I was told by others to go with the K&K one.

This is the amp I have

http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/Loudbox_Performer_front_an-9881652fa721d2648773ec48428f5c23.jpg

My Loudbox had direct out lines, so you can run it to a PA.

I saw Levon Helm back before he passed and Larry Campbell, was playing through a Fishman Loudbox.

Even Levon played a little bit of mandolin

[video=youtube;Zrv2L1BX1W0]

If you watch this video, Larry is playing electric guitar, however if you look at the 2 Fishman amps behind the him, that's what he used for mandolin and fiddle.

[video=youtube;HNxnqLkXius]

Depending how much mandolin you play, and how much gear you want to move, is the big question. The last full acoustic gigs I did with the mandolin I mic-ed cause I have no pick up in my mandolins. However I did try a stick on Peterman pick up and it wasn't bad. It was convenient.

I might order a LR Baggs Radius-M for my mandolin

They just make it sound too good in this video

Archived