What is an Octar?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know this is older thread, but a few weeks ago. I had the chance to strum one built buy a luthier in VT.

I was also interested in a tenor guitar, or at least trying one.

They are both tuned like a mandolin GDAE., or in the case of a tenor guitar CGDA

Since I play a bit of mandolin. I knew some finger, but the scale felt weird to say the least.

Not inexpensive stuff.

very cool

I saw Elenor Whitmore, who is the fiddle/ mandolin player with Steve Earle play a tenor guitar on stage.

I assume the name is a portmanteau of octave and guitar. The instrument itself seems to combine various aspects of an archtop guitar and a mandocello, with an archtop's larger body, and the dual course / octave string configuration (and tuning?) of a mandocello. I'm going to try to check one out at Winter NAMM - it really sounds like an interesting combination to me. :)

• Members

I met a builder for VT that has a Octive Mandolin for sale that he built.

The mandocello is tuned like a cello C G D A and is deep in tone like a cello. It also has the octaves thing happening with the 8 string.

The octave mandolin is tuned like a mandolin but an octave down.

Here's Chris Thile with and octave mandolin. You can hear the deep tone of the cello.

[video=youtube;DooLKnS0ztw]

Here's the Weber Octar in all it's glory. So beautiful. IMO

[video=youtube;3tIhuApEnPk]

Now the Tenor guitar can be tuned like a guitar, using the 4 bottom strings( D G B E). or in 5ths like a mandolin G D A E.

The resonator Octar, Bruce Weber talks about how it's tuned here. and goes through the Octar too.

Damn he does some nice work. I like his mandolins, but I like Gibson mandolins ever better.

Someday I'll be digging a bit deeper in my pockets, but right now I can't do it or I shouldn't do it.

man-with-empty-pockets-blink-images.jpg

Enjoy

[video=youtube;OUblnz64FXg]

Hope this helps. Kinda of what was cool about 100 years ago, is cool again.This is what folks sat around playing in there homes, before electricity. I'm not saying folks didn't have electricity in there house, but it was nothing like today. My grandfather used to tell me that when he and my grandmother were young, they would go out is see bands on Saturday nights. Brass was king, back then, and nothing was amplified.

Just for kicks, I have down in my cellar the original electrical circuit break that was in this house. I was revamped a long time ago, but it's basically 2 fuses on a knife blade switch. When I came here the first thing I did was call in an electrician and replace for a second time the fuse box.The original isn't much more than this.

150573514288.jpg

• Members
I loved those videos - thanks for posting them. Of the two' date=' the Octar and the Mandocello appealed to me the most - practically equally, even though they have different ranges and sounds to them. [b']Wish I could afford one of each![/b]

Me and you.

Life is espensive.

And good gear ain't cheap either.

Archived