Folk with a loop pedal and beat boxing

• Members

Hey guys,

I have played in a folk trio (acoustic guitar, ukulele, djembe, 3 part harmony) for quite some time, and am now about to move to Japan and am trying to develop some unique solo folky stuff. Right now I am using a loop pedal and playing folk songs over a looped beat box. I was wondering if anybody has good advice on some intruments to easily add to the loop to make it sound better, or tips on how to do this. I have included a link to one recording. It isn't the best song, but wasn't sure how to record with a loop pedal, so just did the most simple song I had written. Check it out!

http://colingarvey.bandcamp.com

• Members

Like the song.

The only person I've seen do a song using a loop just used guitar - and set the loop up there and then. It was entertaining when seen the first time but might not be quite so original if he had done it again and again. You sound an accomplished player - I wonder if you would need to use a loop to do 'folksy' solo stuff. Perhaps look at experimenting with your chosen instrument - percussion stuff on the guitar while playing is bloody impressive (not easy though when I tried it myself) My guess - based on that song - is that when you let yourself go you will easily be as interesting as a three piece. Remember on your own you don't have to tie yourself to a regular beat - play around and you will be fine.

Good luck

Phil

• Members

Wow awesome advice!!! Thanks a lot...yeah I was wondering about using it too much...I think it may be good to come up with a variety of songs using just acoustic, looping and then trying out a percussive guitaring song (yikes)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived