First banjo: Gretsch vs. Epiphone

• Members

Not a lot off diff IMO between any brands in the $150-$250 range.. Just try em and see. Make sure whatever model you choose has a geared 5th string tuner instead of just a friction peg. Then I recc taking it to someone who knows how to set up the banjo with a taller and higher quailty bridge than usually comes on these. Best bang for the buck upgrade. I'd prob pick the Gretsch if limited to these two, just for the cool name on the headstock factor.

But really I reccomend doubling your budget and getting a basic model Deering Goodtime openback. Or see if you can find a used one on Ebay or Craigslist. A good enough banjo to keep forever, even gig with. Better hardware, just a lot more solid than a little Epi or similar import.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Pine Apple Slim wrote:

Not a lot off diff IMO between any brands in the $150-$250 range.. Just try em and see. Make sure whatever model you choose has a geared 5th string tuner instead of just a friction peg. Then I recc taking it to someone who knows how to set up the banjo with a taller and higher quailty bridge than usually comes on these. Best bang for the buck upgrade. I'd prob pick the Gretsch if limited to these two, just for the cool name on the headstock factor.

But really I reccomend doubling your budget and getting
a basic model Deering Goodtime openback.
Or see if you can find a used one on Ebay or Craigslist. A good enough banjo to keep forever, even gig with. Better hardware, just
a lot more solid than a little Epi or similar import

^^^ What he said! ^^^

With a little careful shopping, you could find a used Good Time for about what either cost new, and it may well have been set-up already!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not a lot off diff IMO between any brands in the $150-$250 range.. Just try em and see. Make sure whatever model you choose has a geared 5th string tuner instead of just a friction peg. Then I recc taking it to someone who knows how to set up the banjo with a taller and higher quailty bridge than usually comes on these. Best bang for the buck upgrade. I'd prob pick the Gretsch if limited to these two' date=' just for the cool name on the headstock factor.

But really[b'] I reccomend doubling your budget and getting a basic model Deering Goodtime openback.[/b] Or see if you can find a used one on Ebay or Craigslist. A good enough banjo to keep forever, even gig with. Better hardware, just a lot more solid than a little Epi or similar import.

Spot on.It's so difficult to find really good instruments these days that are not imports from China. The Goodtime stuff is USA made too, but will cost you about 400-600 bucks for one of there open back banjos.make sure it has tuners too, those friction pegs are a nightmare and never seem to stay in tune.

Archived