X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lest talk sliding on your lap

I tend to prefer playing slide lap style. I play a Regal square neck in traditional bluegrass "high G" tuning. Got it from Elderly 10-12 yrs ago. I upgraded it with a spun cone, aluminum spider, and a better bridge insert. Its no Sheerhorn, but it sounds pretty good. I also have a Chandler 6 str lap steel. I started out on C6 tuning with it, but kinda gave up on that, its an unusual tuning and I never really got comfortable with it. So I strung it the same as my Regal, GBDGBD.bluegrass style.

dobro  & lap

One of these days Id like to get a round neck metal body of some kind.

Attached Files

I've made one of my own lap steels, and modified one for someone here (Travvybear) out of an old SX, and have a couple more in progress.

My first one, made almost 10 years ago is on the left:

handmade lappy on the left, Mel-o-Bar on the right

Below is the mod'd SX:

Modified SX

Attached Files
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Blind Doc Jones' Pickles....Cures What Ails Ya'<br>Good Deals with: Catalinbread, BR4D/MojoHand (via his retailers), sh333 (teh debbil)</div><br><br>Not around much any more

Comment

• Graeca
      Graeca commented
      Editing a comment

I have several electric lap steels, but this old squarenecked Oahu acoustic Hawaiian guitar is my favorite...the previous owner installed the magnetic p/u and, fortunately, didn't hurt the tone. Sounds a lot like a Dobro plugged in.

Tuned to Open E, and most likely made by Kay, it dates to the 30s.

Oahu

Attached Files

• loveofjazz
      loveofjazz commented
      Editing a comment

I have a couple of square neck resonators at home. One has the name "Tut" on the headstock, but I do not believe it has anything to do with Tut Taylor. I keep it tuned to bluegrass G (GBDGBD). I have added a Lace Sensor Resophonic pickup as well as a Fishman Classic Series Resophonic pickup, each having a separate output. This guitar is super fun to perform live with.

The other has no name on the headstock. I keep it tuned to open D (DADF#AD). I don't play it as often as I would like, and I think some thicker strings would benefit the lower tuning more. 

I love playing dobro. I have neck problems, so I prefer to use it live on a keyboard stand I have instead of trying to wear it on a strap around my neck. It adds a lot to a live performance.

I also have a lap steel made by a friend of mine. While it seems somewhat crude by design, it functions well and sounds good. 

• Voltan
      Voltan commented
      Editing a comment

the first guitar i ever hand my hands on was a gibson skylark "flying V" lap steel...  my maternal grandfather played lap steel in a "party band" during the prohibition and he passed the love of these infernal mistresses of torture along to me...   i am much more comfortable with the instrument when i play lap style so if i have to stand up i'd just as leave play something else...

Working...
X