X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard to learn Mandolin?

I've been a guitarist for a while and I've always been big into rootsy sort of music, and stuff with a lot of folk influences. But lately i've been getting more into true folk and bluegrass, and Mandolins seem like they'd be a lot of fun to learn. 

I was talking to a friend of mine after a jam session, and he said he had played one before and that they're pretty easy to learn. He said since i was able to pick up ukulele so quickly mandolin shouldnt be a problem. Thing is, none of the local stores really carry them so i cant find any to try out.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they really that easy to learn? 

It's not hard, but it's not easy either.  First, a mandolin is strung in fifths (like a fiddle, top to bottom GDAE) rather than fourths such as the guitar.  So, you have to learn all the chords shapes all over again.  That said, like the guitar, mandolin playing involves lots of moveable chords shapes and triads, similar to the guitar.  I would start at the Mandolin Cafe, where there are links to lessons.  I started with a chord chart, and started off learning the "two finger chords" and moved on from there.   Some of the full chord shapes are tricky, for example a full "G" chord involves a six fret stretch.  From there, it's not too difficult to learn basic scales, eg blues scale, licks and techniques, such as tremelo strumming etc. 

The frets are much smaller, obviously, which takes some getting used to.  

I fell in love with the instrument. 

Comment

• raining_at_sunset
      raining_at_sunset commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks for the links jamesp, Chris Thile never fails to blow mind mind. The way he rips through a Bach piece like a skip in the park makes me very envious.

• RedRoadEnsemble
      RedRoadEnsemble commented
      Editing a comment
      This is where y'all hide.
      It is like any instrument. Just enjoy learning. I bought a mandolin last night.

• Neal
      Neal commented
      Editing a comment

What did you buy?  

Yeah, like a lot of instruments, but some are better at the flatpick technique, some can't get it down.  It's all about practice and finding it to your liking.  If you like it, you'll spend those hours and perhaps dollars trying to figure out how these guys get that tremelo, the chords are easy, it's the "other stuff".

really its very hard to learn mandolin

Comment

• jamesp
      jamesp commented
      Editing a comment

rishabhsachan wrote:

really its very hard to learn mandolin

Meh.  A couple of months sitting in a room playing mandolin four hours a day.  It's not like breaking rocks for a living.    

This might be of use for you
    www.MandoLessons.com For free mandolin lessons, including tablature and standard notation for tunes, visit www.MandoLessons.com MandoLessons offers mandolin ...
    Founding member of Harmony Unacoustic Activities Committee

Comment

I can't pretend to actually know how to play the mandolin but... I've learned enough for recording my demos. I'm a bassist and a guitarist. I found all the upside down logic many espouse to be a bit confusing for my little brain. I just learned some basic chord shapes first, and figured out how to play a major or minor scale in that key I'm working on, and got comfortable with it for 20 minutes. Bam! And then pretend your mandolin player! Just play around a little bit and it all falls into place.

Comment

I really do know the diff between your ^^^ and you're. Thank you Siri.:-)

Comment

Mandolin reminds me of Pure Prarie League's AMY. Does that date me?

D
          Bringing the Harmony back to Harmony Central

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
            I can't pretend to actually know how to play the mandolin but... I've learned enough for recording my demos. I'm a bassist and a guitarist. I found all the upside down logic many espouse to be a bit confusing for my little brain. I just learned some basic chord shapes first, and figured out how to play a major or minor scale in that key I'm working on, and got comfortable with it for 20 minutes. Bam! And then pretend your mandolin player! Just play around a little bit and it all falls into place.
            I've played guitar with fingers for many years (not with any particular talent) but have never really been able to play it by ear. Neither could I use a pick. Started messing with a banjo (claw hammer - as still couldn't handle a pick) about three years ago and playing mandolin about a year and a half ago. I don't know what it is, but mandolin is the only instrument I can play by ear (picking melody) and I have started to use a pick. Not as good with the chords as I was with the guitar - but that's coming along. The modest little £89 mandolin has served me well up to now but have just picked up a £400.00 Celtic style one. It actually has some sustain that I'm having to get to grips with.

So for those thinking of trying one out - get a little cheap one (Rumanian - Hora, Ozark etc) and have a go. Dare I say its a lot more fun than a Uke.

Phil

Comment

I'm thinking of picking up one of those $59 mandolins from GC and stringing it Tommy Tedesco style--double strings from 2 electric guitar light sets tuned DGBE. No learning curve but I can still get that mando sound (as long as I can work up a good tremolo).
              Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

As mentioned aboveI bought a £89 mandolin on line - no problem at all - played it for two years and then bought one more up market. I can't say the sound was the same (why buy the up market otherwise) - the new one has sustain and is decidedly mellow - However the cheapy has more volume. The tremolo isn't that difficult to acquire either.

Good luck

Phil

Comment

Yeah start at Mandolin Cafe like someone else said. since the mando is tuned to fifths, each string repeats itself every 7 frets instead of every 5 as on a guitar, so you have a little more space for playing scale shapes than you have on the guitar, although the mando's scale is a lot shorter than the guitar's. It's a fun instrument to play!

Comment

Working...
                  X