What's your favorite Harmonica?

TN.Frank

• Members

I've not been playing much over the last year or so but when I do I tend to pick up my Hohner Deuce and a Quarter to play. It's in the key of A so it doesn't sound so squeaky as the higher keys and that wooden comb just has a sound to it that I love. I know that folks say there's no real difference between wood and plastic but I swear I can hear a difference. I've sealed it with 4 coats of Butcher's Block Oil so it's water tight so I don't have to worry about swelling with it. If/When this harp dies(as they all do if you play them a lot) I'll probably go with a Hohner Blues Harp since it's the closest thing I'll be able to find that'll have the same wooden comb as the Deuce and the price won't break the bank. Hohner Blues Harps are only about $34 bucks and once it's comb has been sealed it should be as nice as the Deuce and a Quarter.

• Members

I have a bunch of different harps from different manufacturers.

My favorite is anything made by Huang.

They don't really sound any better (or worse) than any of the others I own, I just like pulling it out of my pocket at a gig and saying, "And now I'd like to blow my Huang."

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_L View Post
Suzuki*Promaster Hammond Harmonica
I've been wanting to try these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
...want to try out the Suzuki Folkmaster one of these days.
I have a Suzuki Folkmaster. It's a decent, workaday harp, but hasn't struck me as anything to write home about especially.

Personally, I'm hell and gone from being a great player or very knowledgeable about harmonicas, but I have a few and my favorite make/model is the Hohner Special 20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
I have a Suzuki Folkmaster. It's a decent, workaday harp, but hasn't struck me as anything to write home about especially.

Personally, I'm hell and gone from being a great player or very knowledgeable about harmonicas, but I have a few and my favorite make/model is the Hohner Special 20.
Thanks. thumb.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I just got a Hohner Special 20, and it's my favorite harp. The sound is just great - to me, perfect - loud, clear,detailed, soulful, three-dimensional. As the cliche goes, it's the sound I hear in my head when I'm thinking harp.

I even did something I've never done - phoned the music store to tell them how much I loved it.

• Members

I don't play the blues' date=' the blues is just what comes out of me when I play.

[/quote']If you cross-harp, it's all blues, if you straight-harp, it's everything but. My band has a blues harp player who's been forced to do some straight-harping. He's getting used to it.Delhttp://www.thefullertons.net

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Another vote for the Special 20. I'm in a Willie Nelson tribute band now, doing about 50/50 harp/keys. Mickey Raphael likes Special 20's so I picked a couple up to go with my Marine Band Blues Harp and Huangs. They seem to be easier to control on bends, even on higher pitches and without a break-in period. Which is a godsend on those country whole-tone slow bends on Willie ballads.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

My favorite is a Corian comb Lee Oskar. I purchased the comb from Blue Moon Harmonicas And the Lee Oskar reed plates and covers separately. Assembled it myself and It all fell together very nicely. It is in the key of A. It seems to get more play time than two Suzuki Manji's, a Hohner Deuce and a Quarter and one other (Stock) Lee Oskar! 5 all together.

Cheers!

Harp in A resize 2.jpg

1971477739_HarpinAresize2.jpg.5b209feb49c6f500539de3ec12224a85.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived