Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

What's your favorite Harmonica?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite Harmonica?

I've not been playing much over the last year or so but when I do I tend to pick up my Hohner Deuce and a Quarter to play. It's in the key of A so it doesn't sound so squeaky as the higher keys and that wooden comb just has a sound to it that I love. I know that folks say there's no real difference between wood and plastic but I swear I can hear a difference. I've sealed it with 4 coats of Butcher's Block Oil so it's water tight so I don't have to worry about swelling with it. If/When this harp dies(as they all do if you play them a lot) I'll probably go with a Hohner Blues Harp since it's the closest thing I'll be able to find that'll have the same wooden comb as the Deuce and the price won't break the bank. Hohner Blues Harps are only about $34 bucks and once it's comb has been sealed it should be as nice as the Deuce and a Quarter.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">*1 John 2:3-5*<br />
    Guitar:<br />
    Harmony Sovereign H182<br />
    Harmonicas:<br />
    Lee Oskar Major Diatonic: Low F, A, C<br />
    Gun:<br />
    Glock G19 RTF2, 9x19mm</div>

Wow, tough group here. 229 views and not a single reply. Way to make the forum fun for all us harp players.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">*1 John 2:3-5*<br />
    Guitar:<br />
    Harmony Sovereign H182<br />
    Harmonicas:<br />
    Lee Oskar Major Diatonic: Low F, A, C<br />
    Gun:<br />
    Glock G19 RTF2, 9x19mm</div>

Comment

I don't think anyone much posts here. The only harp I can even think of is Hohner, and I can't get a decent sound out of any of them.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Play more bass.<br />
      </div>

Comment

Suzuki*Promaster Hammond Harmonica

I have Hohner Special 20s and a Lee Oskar, which are both very good, but the Suzuki Hammond impresses me the most so far I've what I've tried. Rather pricey and might not suit your style, but I like it.

Comment

I have a bunch of different harps from different manufacturers.

My favorite is anything made by Huang.

They don't really sound any better (or worse) than any of the others I own, I just like pulling it out of my pocket at a gig and saying, "And now I'd like to blow my Huang."
          Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

TN Frank, I like the Hohner Blues Band harps, too. Also Huang Silvertones. I don't wear them out very quickly, because I only play them on less than a half dozen songs during the course of the night, as the mood strikes me.
            Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

Partial to Hohner's "Big River Harp", and carry the A, C, D, E and G to my gigs, but want to try out the Suzuki Folkmaster one of these days.
              God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_L
                View Post

Suzuki*Promaster Hammond Harmonica

I've been wanting to try these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall
                View Post

...want to try out the Suzuki Folkmaster one of these days.

I have a Suzuki Folkmaster. It's a decent, workaday harp, but hasn't struck me as anything to write home about especially.

Personally, I'm hell and gone from being a great player or very knowledgeable about harmonicas, but I have a few and my favorite make/model is the Hohner Special 20.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="darkred"><font size="3"><i>I don't want to sell my music. I'd like to give it away because where I got it, you didn't have to pay for it.</i> -Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet)</font></font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Muddslide
                  View Post

I have a Suzuki Folkmaster. It's a decent, workaday harp, but hasn't struck me as anything to write home about especially.

Personally, I'm hell and gone from being a great player or very knowledgeable about harmonicas, but I have a few and my favorite make/model is the Hohner Special 20.

Thanks.
                  God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

• Mikeo
                    Mikeo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have a couple of Hohner Golden Melody's that have really lasted. I also have the whole kit and kaboodle of Hohner Special 20's, and very old Hohner260 Chromatic.

Harps used to be cheap, but not any more

• Graeca
                    Graeca commented
                    Editing a comment

Mikeo wrote:
                    Have a couple of Hohner Golden Melody's that have really lasted. I also have the whole kit and kaboodle of Hohner Special 20's, and very old Hohner260 Chromatic.

Harps used to be cheap, but not any more

Yup...when I started playing harmonica (back when dinosaurs still ruled much of the Earth), a Marine Band was $3.95, a Blues Harp was about a buck more...nowdays, either'll run just south of $40!

My beloved Big River Harps nowdays run about $25, but they seem to last a lot longer...I used to go through 5 Marine Bands (A, C, D, E and G) 2-3X a year, but this last batch of BRHs have held up for almost 5 years, and I don't know that I'm any more careful w/ 'em than I've ever been...otoh, I have a brand new set of BRHs on standby.

Golden Melody from Hohner and Lee Oskar although I also like the good ol' Hohner Blues Harp.
                  I don't play the blues, the blues is just what comes out of me when I play.<br>----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>Harmonica (Lee Oskar &amp; Hohner Golden Melody)<br>Ukulele (National, Martin, Gibson, Kala)<br>Electric Guitar (Fender MIA Strat, AVRI Tele, MIM Duo Sonic)<br>Conga (LP &quot;shorty&quot; Originals Conga, Aspire quinto)

Comment

I don't play the blues, the blues is just what comes out of me when I play.

Comment

I have a long fan of a screamin' blues harp, my favorite is every link in these threads, without knowing what we are clicking
                      Singapore Counselling Services
                      We have best team of Counsellors & Psychologists for provide Singapore Counselling Services, family counselling and support services.

Comment

I like the Special 20 by Hohner because the plastic doesn't warp or soak up spit.

Comment

Working...
                        X