Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new guitar, advice/help needed!

I've been gassing for a Strat for a while now and, today, my brother bought me a Squier Strat for my birthday.

Now, I haven't owned a guitar with a tremelo arm before so I need some help......

The tuning stability isn't too good with this guitar as the trem is floating. I've tried adjusting it so that it's closer to the body but I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly can anyone tell me how to do this? And, will I still be able to use the trem (for lowering the pitch) if I do this? I'm not really interested in using it for raising the pitch.

Also, are there any other modifications I can do to the guitar that will increase the tuning stability?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Originally posted by Simple Exploding Man
    I've been gassing for a Strat for a while now and, today, my brother bought me a Squier Strat for my birthday.

Now, I haven't owned a guitar with a tremelo arm before so I need some help......

The tuning stability isn't too good with this guitar as the trem is floating. I've tried adjusting it so that it's closer to the body but I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly can anyone tell me how to do this? And, will I still be able to use the trem (for lowering the pitch) if I do this? I'm not really interested in using it for raising the pitch.

Also, are there any other modifications I can do to the guitar that will increase the tuning stability?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

First I would get if you don't already have, the other two springs for the trem in the back. I have tried setting it for raising the pitch and never had any luck so if your not interested in that, great. I have mine set so the trem is sucked right to the body. In the back you'll see two screws that are holding the plate the springs are connected to give them even turns to tighten. also just in front of the saddles there is a screw for each. You want to have the far ones (for the low and high E strings) tightened all the way down and then backed off a half turn or so and the other four "middle" screws backed off more. Also use some 3 in 1 oil, just a little, on the nut and all the saddles so the strings move, helps with tuning. I hope this didn't confuse you. My strat came with a book with nice pictures that might better describe this. I never owned a squier so they may not come with this so maybe try the fender website they probably have all the booklets in PDF form for download.

Comment

Originally posted by joeja

First I would get if you don't already have, the other two springs for the trem in the back. I have tried setting it for raising the pitch and never had any luck so if your not interested in that, great. I have mine set so the trem is sucked right to the body. In the back you'll see two screws that are holding the plate the springs are connected to give them even turns to tighten. also just in front of the saddles there is a screw for each. You want to have the far ones (for the low and high E strings) tightened all the way down and then backed off a half turn or so and the other four "middle" screws backed off more. Also use some 3 in 1 oil, just a little, on the nut and all the saddles so the strings move, helps with tuning. I hope this didn't confuse you. My strat came with a book with nice pictures that might better describe this. I never owned a squier so they may not come with this so maybe try the fender website they probably have all the booklets in PDF form for download.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I understand so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I understand so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

No problem. One more thought from experience. If your planning on using the whammy alot, lower guage strings seem to be better.

Comment

Originally posted by joeja

No problem. One more thought from experience. If your planning on using the whammy alot, lower guage strings seem to be better.

Lower? I'm using 11s - the same that I use on my SG.

Anyway, I've lowered the bridge significantly and it's now almost flat against the body of the guitar. The tuning is a little better but it's still not perfect. I'm thinking of investing in a new nut (graphite/bone?) and maybe a graphite bridge too.

Comment

Personally, having had experience with a lot of whammy's, the six-screw trems are really only useful if you're hendrix and/or can live with in flight retuning and the constant niggling of being out of tune when you use it.

Knife edge bridges (like the one that came on my usa strat) are better; still the same in appearance as a vintage strat bridge but pivot better.

I'd suggest using 9's, higher guages never really work that well, even on floyd rose style bridges.

Also, a clicker-pencil works wonders for 'graphiting' up your nut and under the string trees.

NB I run my strat as a hard tail with 5 springs, I gave up and bought an Ibanez

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Ellaway
              Personally, having had experience with a lot of whammy's, the six-screw trems are really only useful if you're hendrix and/or can live with in flight retuning and the constant niggling of being out of tune when you use it.

Knife edge bridges (like the one that came on my usa strat) are better; still the same in appearance as a vintage strat bridge but pivot better.

I'd suggest using 9's, higher guages never really work that well, even on floyd rose style bridges.

Also, a clicker-pencil works wonders for 'graphiting' up your nut and under the string trees.

NB I run my strat as a hard tail with 5 springs, I gave up and bought an Ibanez

Good luck

What do you mean heavier gauges never work that well? Remember SRV?? Dave Gilmour also uses 10s, and I think Jeff Beck uses 10s or 11s.

I know that turning the Strat into a hardtail would more or less fix the tuning problems, but the whole reason I wanted it was for the whammy bar Typical, eh?

Comment

What do you mean heavier gauges never work that well? Remember SRV?? Dave Gilmour also uses 10s, and I think Jeff Beck uses 10s or 11s.
                Fenders are factory set up for .010s. You'll need to use those until you can get it to a tech and have it set up for .011s. Floating trems are very sensitive to string tension.

-wp
                Originally posted by WulfmanJax:
                ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

http://www.myspace.com/wespowell1

Download the tunes

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
                  Fenders are factory set up for .010s. You'll need to use those until you can get it to a tech and have it set up for .011s. Floating trems are very sensitive to string tension.

-wp

I'll be sending it to a tech, once I've bought a new nut and bridge so I can have them fitted at the same time.

Would there be any improvement in tuning if I put some new machine heads on it?

Comment

Who was that English player?...(Rory Galager?..Irish?)On one of his album covers, it showed a close-up of the bridge(old beat to death strat) Anyway, you could see he had a screw missing on the low side, and the rest were kinda loose, any one ever see that?
                    I.K.F.C.- O.T.A.- W.T.F.?.C.- E.S.C.
                    Member of the T. D. & H. faculty

CMWANLW

Comment

Originally posted by JasmineTea
                      Who was that English player?...(Rory Galager?..Irish?)On one of his album covers, it showed a close-up of the bridge(old beat to death strat) Anyway, you could see he had a screw missing on the low side, and the rest were kinda loose, any one ever see that?

You have a sexy moniker.
                      WÜ
                      Arsenal
                      Family Portrait

Comment

Originally posted by Stormbringer

You have a sexy moniker.
                        What-a-ya-tryin-a say?

CMWANLW

Comment

Originally posted by JasmineTea

Rory Gallagher. The man was from Ireland, yeah - county cork, if memory serves (in which case you *really* don't wanna go calling him english.... ).
                          MOTGLHC

"We're the 1% that don't fit in and don't care."

Malcom McLaren 1977

Comment

Originally posted by Edward

Rory Gallagher. The man was from Ireland, yeah - county cork, if memory serves (in which case you *really* don't wanna go calling him english.... ).
                            Alright, I'll remember that..Any one remeber the name of the album I'm thinking of?

CMWANLW

Comment

The album is called 'Against The Grain".
                              Rory had a beat up '61 (may have been a '62?) Strat which his techies kept going. He gave it some serious battering. What a class act!

Comment

Working...
                              X