No announcement yet.

Shawn Lane appreciation thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen
    Hmmm, so now Lion Music has released two albums in tribute to Shawn. The big question for me is whether Shawn's family will get any of the proceedings from the sales, which it doesn't look like they do.

Also, who the hell are all these guitarists???

01. ALEX MASI - ...AND THE WIND CRIES SHAWN
    02. PATRIK CARLSSON - T-ZONE RHYTM
    03. STEPHAN FORTE
    idiom - Progressive Hard Rock out of Raleigh, NC
    Check out a sampler from our full-length recording!
    http://www.idiomband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/idiomnc

Comment

Hmmm, so now Lion Music has released two albums in tribute to Shawn. The big question for me is whether Shawn's family will get any of the proceedings from the sales, which it doesn't look like they do.

Also, who the hell are all these guitarists???

01. ALEX MASI - ...AND THE WIND CRIES SHAWN
      02. PATRIK CARLSSON - T-ZONE RHYTM
      03. STEPHAN FORTE
      Don't waste your money.

Spend it on marijauna and alchohol instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ShredNova7

Yeah, I don't care for 90% of those guys on that list.

But man, if George Bellas, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan and lets say maybe Vinnie Morre did the album, it would definately kick ass.

Gutrie and how totally could put out some worthy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by stevehollx

yeah its pretty disgusting in a way. I recognize Bellas and Cooley, both of which I would not have picked for this album.

Well, Bellas is a very talented guitarist, with both good technique and phrasing, so he's okay in my book. Cooley shares a lot of the same techniques Shawn often used, but I feel he's lacking most of the other things that made Shawn that amazing. I mean, he's a great guitarist, at least for his genre, I just don't think his playing fits in this context. But knowing how much he admired Lane, I'd have let him play anyway.
          I'm sure EJ would have played a track. I heard they were good friends, and he would have done justice to the slower Lane songs.... I know Gilbert and Vai were huge fans too. Although Im not sure how they would do playing Lane's stuff...
          Oh, I think both Vai and Gilbert are perfectly capable of doing Shawn's stuff justice. Sure, they may not have his monstrous technique or amazing phrasing, but they are both among the best guitarists today, talent-wise.

I'd have loved to hear Vai play "Epilogue (For Lisa)", as I feel it would fit his style. Gilbert would've sounded great on "Esperanto", or maybe "Gray Pianos Flying". Eric Johnson has to do "Not Again", it's just so much his style. Either that or "Get You Back".

Oh, and if he's got the chops, I think Tony Macalpine could've sounded great on Shawn's piano concerto. Vinnie Moore, Guthrie Govan, Brett Garsed, Greg Howe and Scott Jones are other guitarists I would've loved to hear on such an album. Come to think of it, why isn't Scott on this new CD? He's better known than over half of the artists that have been included, and he's certainly more skilled than most of them.

Comment

I should get off my ass and learn the last third of get you back.

I have to wait until my sound card comes to record it, anyway, though. Which could be two months from now....

Comment

I should get off my ass and learn the last third of get you back.
              Isn't that the hardest part of the song?

Comment

Isn't that the hardest part of the song?

Heh yeah. Other than that last 20 seconds of blistering solos, its not too bad though. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the more difficult part of the second section.

I sturggle with some of the stuff just because Shawn's phrasing is so unorthodox compared to guitarist I'm used to learning off of. That whole one note per string hammer on thing is just impossible for me to do, too. This is the only song I have a shot at, really.

It's my favorite of his, anyway.

Comment

Heh yeah. Other than that last 20 seconds of blistering solos, its not too bad though. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the more difficult part of the second section.

I sturggle with some of the stuff just because Shawn's phrasing is so unorthodox compared to guitarist I'm used to learning off of. That whole one note per string hammer on thing is just impossible for me to do, too. This is the only song I have a shot at, really.

It's my favorite of his, anyway.
                  Sounds cool, good luck with that.

Even though playing any Shawn solos or songs is virtually impossible for me, I still try to incorporate a lot of his phrasing into my playing. Like when he plays fast, he's got that be-bob-like phrasing where each note stands out instead of being buried in a legato flurry. I love playing like that, it's probably the only time I get emotional from playing fast.

Comment

I hear a lot of talk about this "one note per string" technique of shawn's, but I don't really know what it is. Can someone shed some light?
                    A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.

--Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Osmosis
                      I hear a lot of talk about this "one note per string" technique of shawn's, but I don't really know what it is. Can someone shed some light?
                      Maybe this will help:

Comment

yeah its pretty disgusting in a way. I recognize Bellas and Cooley, both of which I would not have picked for this album.

I'm sure EJ would have played a track. I heard they were good friends, and he would have done justice to the slower Lane songs.... I know Gilbert and Vai were huge fans too. Although Im not sure how they would do playing Lane's stuff...

Vai has never said that he's a Lane fan... just like he never did for anyone who completely blows him out of the water. Might be a little hard for his ego.
                        They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.

Comment

This thread is dedicated to my main inspiration these days, and one of the finest musicians who ever lived, Shawn Lane.

Edit:

"...one of the finest musicians who ever put me to sleep, Shawn Lane"

Sorry, but no matter how good his chops were, he was a bore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flanger

Edit:

"...one of the finest musicians who ever put me to sleep, Shawn Lane"

Sorry, but no matter how good his chops were, he was a bore.
                            Fine, start a thread about it if you want to, but keep the negativity out of this one.

Comment

Shawn was one of the most amazing players ever to pick up a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by vintage clubber
                                I've looked for his stuff the last few trips to the local Best Buy store or other CD stores here and no one seems to carry his stuff...What genre should I be looking in? Rock? Blues? Jazz??

Please tell me where to find Shawn Lane's music!!!!
                                SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

• Working...
                                  X