Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting into modern jazz

I've recently been listening to Jaco's debut, Heavy Weather by Weather Report, and a slew of the middle Steely Dan albums such as The Royal Scam and Aja. I'm really digging all of it, so I was wondering if anybody could point out some other similar stuff that I would like. I especially enjoy some of the more intense, funky Jaco stuff like Come on, Come Over, and Kuru/Speak Like a Child.

Thanks
    Originally posted by WulfmanJax
    Does Mozart know anything about girls, girls girls? Kickstarting someone's heart? Dr. feelgood? Taking a ride on the wild side? Well, did he?

Originally posted by jcourtjr
    I hope I get my wish this year and my wife will **************** on my chest.

Two NYC "post-jazz" guitarists/trios for ya:

Wayne Krantz

www.waynekrantz.com

and Oz Noy, my personal fave:

www.oznoy.com

check out the Video section on Oz's site and play the last one - the man is a monster!
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Soulive
      Medeski, Martin, and Wood
      John Scofield
      Charlie Hunter

Comment

All great recommendations, especially Sco, Krantz, and Charlie Hunter. I would also recommend some of Herbie Hancock's work. "Headhunters" is a classic funk/jazz album to check out. He's done a lot of different things over the years, but funky stuff has always been one of his favorites.
        www.poparad.com

Comment

scofield
          mmw
          john zorn
          charlie hunter
          branford marsalis
          marc ribot
          The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

-wp
            Originally posted by WulfmanJax:
            ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

http://www.myspace.com/wespowell1

Download the tunes

Comment

They're pretty much cliche answers on a guitar board, especially this one, but really they're essential modern jazzers: Pat Metheny & Bill Frisell.

And don't listen to Ritenour unless you like smooth jazz. And you won't.
              Thanks be to God for heavy metal! (But praise be to Satan.)

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I pretty much have the best ears in the business so if I say you sound like Animal Collective Jr then you do.

Web Hosting, VPS, Cloud Backup - http://www.packetforce.net - Coupon code "harm50" for 50% off

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
                They're pretty much cliche answers on a guitar board, especially this one, but really they're essential modern jazzers: Pat Metheny & Bill Frisell.

And don't listen to Ritenour unless you like smooth jazz. And you won't.
                Captain Fingers is anything but smooth jazz. He asked for funky, I gave him funky.

-wp
                ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

Download the tunes

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
                  Captain Fingers is anything but smooth jazz. He asked for funky, I gave him funky.

-wp

yeah, but its more like the wonderbread of funk than the real thing, y'know?
                  The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by Help!I'marock!
                    yeah, but its more like the wonderbread of funk than the real thing, y'know?
                    But it's not a funk album. It's funky but still jazz.

And he totally rips on it.

-wp

Download the tunes

Comment

How about a Frenchie ? Marc Ducret.

"With the possible exception of Bill Frisell, there is not a guitarist alive who so richly articulates his roots with such an immediately recognizable and distinctive bent; but compared to the far more oblique Ducret, Frisell sounds positively mainstream."
                      - All About Jazz.

Sound clip: excerpt from "The Shell Game" with sax Tim Berne.. Guitar solo starts by 1:45.

Comment

Oh, he said funky...

... I hadn't posted anything about Ducret for a while, so...

Comment

Well, so... I must admit I'm not know Jaco much, but... want some jazz that's funky and with guitars ?

Check out Miles Davis "We Want Miles", and also "a tribute to Jack Johnson", "Dark Magus", "Decoy", "On the corner", etc ...
                          Have you heard also those Mike Stern/Bob Berg records from the late 80s, early 90s ?
                          ... And why don't you also check-out some M'base stuff ? They like to play with complex and often funky rhythms...

Here are some you can check out and see if you're interested:
                          - Dave Holland Quartet "Extensions" (ECM), feat Kevin Eubanks on guitar

- some Steve Coleman and 5 elements stuff with Dave Gilmore on guitar (albums "Black Science", "Drop Kick", "the Tao of mad phat", "the ascension to light", or other albums without guitar). BTW, you can hear and download these (more and more ambitious) albums legally and for free here .

Black Phonemics
                          Dread Drop
                          Changing of the guard
                          "Reciprocity"
                          "Octogonal dance abstract"

And while we're at it, why don't you listen to this Kevin Eubanks guitar solo on "Vet Blues" ? It starts at 5:50...

... the recs by the other posters are also quite good, of course : Wayne Krantz, Charlie Hunter, John Scofield, .... and Marc Ribot... how funky he is on John Zorn's Electric Masada live CD !...

.... and may I add that that Marc Ducret plays several very funky records ?
                          - with drummer Bobby Previte "My Man in Sydney" and "In the grass"
                          - with the Belgian band Aka Moon (That's some jazz/world/funk/free stuff that has to be heard !)

Comment

About Aka Moon:

All about jazz review

This review is absolutely enthusiastic... Jaco is mentioned, as well as Dennis Chambers, Steve Coleman, Aka pygmies, Terry Bozzio, Gene Lake.
                            You probably should also check them out ...

Comment

another vote for herbie hancock.
                              and for miles davis

peace

Comment

Working...
                              X