No announcement yet.

Hey Anjinsan, other Chi-town players...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burgess
    started a topic Hey Anjinsan, other Chi-town players...

Hey Anjinsan, other Chi-town players...

...how about we find ourselves a good open mic to go to?

Anybody know any good ones? Not so much cutting heads, but more like just jamming. Something everyone can be comfortable with.

Some friends of mine go to one in Evanston, Tues nights IIRC. It's a blues thang I think. I ain't much of a bluesman but I'll play it in a pinch. I'll try to find out more about it.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty desperate to play in just about any capacity. If anyone's up for something like this, or knows of a good venue, let's talk about it, see if we can hook something up.

Anyone interested?

• Burgess
    replied
    Escaped karaoke singers?

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy James
    replied
    I played at Legend's the Monday before last. It's not really good jamming though. If they don't know you, you are utilized as a guitarist to back up escaped Karoke singers.

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    No, I'm playing with some friends of mine in Chicago now. We're trying to work our way into some of the bars. Between that and my 6 day work week, I'm spread thin enough as it is...

How did you ever find this thread?

Leave a comment:

• unichord
    replied
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by MrRootNote
    Yep. They jam in the Melrose Park area (Grand & Wolf) on Friday nights. There's no jam this week due to the place being rented out to another group.

Email Pat (peatea) above. He'll give you the skinny.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you gone to them?

What's it like?/?

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by slange316
    I heard of this place in Downers Grove. Open mic's. Never been there.

Ballydoyle Pub & Restaurant
    5157 Main Street
    Downer's Grove

Check out this link to a list of open mic's in the chi area.

http://www.risingstarmusic.com/openmics.xhtml
    Cool link! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MrRootNote
    replied
    Yep. They jam in the Melrose Park area (Grand & Wolf) on Friday nights. There's no jam this week due to the place being rented out to another group.

Email Pat (peatea) above. He'll give you the skinny.

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRootNote
    I've jammed with these folks off and on over the last year. Haven't been in a while as I've been busy with other things. My understanding is that they're looking for some new blood to get the Jam attendance a little higher than it has been in recent months.
    We talking about the guys out near O'Hare?

This is starting to sound like it might be just what I was looking for!

Leave a comment:

• MrRootNote
    replied
    I've jammed with these folks off and on over the last year. Haven't been in a while as I've been busy with other things. My understanding is that they're looking for some new blood to get the Jam attendance a little higher than it has been in recent months.

Leave a comment:

• slange316
    replied
    I heard of this place in Downers Grove. Open mic's. Never been there.

Ballydoyle Pub & Restaurant
    5157 Main Street
    Downer's Grove

Check out this link to a list of open mic's in the chi area.

http://www.risingstarmusic.com/openmics.xhtml

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by unichord
    There is a "Jam Club of Chicago" group that rents a hall every Friday night and wails till the wee hours.....
    This sounds VERY COOL!!!

I'm all over this! How about Anjinsan? You in?

Leave a comment:

• Anjinsan
    replied
    Originally posted by Burgess
    Oh man, I can be pretty embarrasing. You might even act like you don't know me.

But I really should play more. My chops are just barely there these days. Kinda pitiful actually.

I feel the exact same way about myself...except I'm right!

It's a good thing though...I've wanted motivation to work on some actually cool 12 bars type stuff...started a bit last night.

So I atleast have one kinda fun, somewhat musical rythm to toss your way!

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    Originally posted by Anjinsan

Puh-leeze.
    Oh man, I can be pretty embarrasing. You might even act like you don't know me.

But I really should play more. My chops are just barely there these days. Kinda pitiful actually.

Leave a comment:

• Burgess
    replied
    I'm in the burbs, near Crystal Lake...

I might be interested in doing Buddy Guy's but during the week stuff downtown is tough on us working old dudes.

Leave a comment:

• redshifted
    replied
    I played a Buddy Guy's open mic back in the early 90's. He was there that night sitting at the bar. It was a cool experience.

Anyway, as Izabella said, most are of the blues or acoustic thing. Gallery Caberet in Bucktown has one where pretty much anything goes, but I forget which night. I can check and get back to you guys. Not sure I'd want to hike out to Streamwood. Do you guys live in the burbs?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X