Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Anjinsan, other Chi-town players...

...how about we find ourselves a good open mic to go to?

Anybody know any good ones? Not so much cutting heads, but more like just jamming. Something everyone can be comfortable with.

Some friends of mine go to one in Evanston, Tues nights IIRC. It's a blues thang I think. I ain't much of a bluesman but I'll play it in a pinch. I'll try to find out more about it.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty desperate to play in just about any capacity. If anyone's up for something like this, or knows of a good venue, let's talk about it, see if we can hook something up.

Anyone interested?
    "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Hey...there is Penny Road near Streamwood...

It's tiny tiny tiny though. I'd jam with you but I kinda suck. I'd still do it though.

Hopefully this thread has some legs...
    Yes, I hate you.

Comment

I've heard you play. You don't suck. I thought you played well...

That's kinda the beauty of open mics though, they're usually pretty encouraging regardless of skill level. You'd do just fine at one.

I'm not that far from Streamwood, that would be doable. We'd probably get more guys interested though the closer we get to Chicago. We'll see how many might be interested and if the interest is very low then Streamwood will probably do just fine.

Comment

cool by me.
        Yes, I hate you.

Comment

That Streamwood open mic is looking better all the time.

So what's the scoop there?

Comment

Originally posted by Burgess
            That Streamwood open mic is looking better all the time.

So what's the scoop there?

I'll get more info...but I believe they have open mic every night that they are open. They have a seperate room/stage area for it. To be honest with you...the few times that I've been there...I've hung out in the open mic area more often than the main area as the music was better. (open mic area sits about 30-40 and stays pretty full almost all night)

Here is a a metromix link on the place. (Huh...it's in Barrington!...oh well it's VERY close to Streamwood!

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/music/33655,0,6654929.location
            Yes, I hate you.

Comment

That sounds like fun! I'm not far from there at all. I pass very close to that everyday to and from work.

So this should work out very nicely. Now maybe I should play my guitar a little more so as to not completely embarass myself.

Comment

Most open mic nights in Da Chi are either blues jams or acoustic singer/songwriter type things. I've done a bunch of both and they can be fun.

Comment

That sounds like fun! I'm not far from there at all. I pass very close to that everyday to and from work.

So this should work out very nicely. Now maybe I should play my guitar a little more so as to not completely embarass myself.

Puh-leeze.
                  Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hey Izabella!
                    Most open mic nights in Da Chi are either blues jams or acoustic singer/songwriter type things. I've done a bunch of both and they can be fun.
                    Yeah, I've seen the singer/songwriter things. That just ain't me. If I can't crank it up, even a little, I ain't having fun.

I've noticed that about the blues jams. I'm really not a blues guys but I can fake it in a pinch as my style is somewhat "bluesy", if that makes any sense...

...So where are some of the better spots?

Comment

I played a Buddy Guy's open mic back in the early 90's. He was there that night sitting at the bar. It was a cool experience.

Anyway, as Izabella said, most are of the blues or acoustic thing. Gallery Caberet in Bucktown has one where pretty much anything goes, but I forget which night. I can check and get back to you guys. Not sure I'd want to hike out to Streamwood. Do you guys live in the burbs?
                      Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at 900 miles an hour.

Comment

I'm in the burbs, near Crystal Lake...

I might be interested in doing Buddy Guy's but during the week stuff downtown is tough on us working old dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anjinsan

Puh-leeze.
                          Oh man, I can be pretty embarrasing. You might even act like you don't know me.

But I really should play more. My chops are just barely there these days. Kinda pitiful actually.

Comment

Oh man, I can be pretty embarrasing. You might even act like you don't know me.

But I really should play more. My chops are just barely there these days. Kinda pitiful actually.

I feel the exact same way about myself...except I'm right!

It's a good thing though...I've wanted motivation to work on some actually cool 12 bars type stuff...started a bit last night.

So I atleast have one kinda fun, somewhat musical rythm to toss your way!
                            Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Originally posted by unichord
                              There is a "Jam Club of Chicago" group that rents a hall every Friday night and wails till the wee hours.....
                              This sounds VERY COOL!!!

I'm all over this! How about Anjinsan? You in?

Comment

Working...
                              X