No announcement yet.

Donnas guitarist laments ongoing grunge "backlash"

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wes_Powell
    Well, if you're to believe some here, I'm responsible for who stays and who gets banned regardless of their own actions. Therefore, Martling is here by my grace and charity thus proving that anthill bait stays in the anthill if it wants a bite.

-wp

Common sense surely will prevail...Though I doubt it...anyone that gets banned take a look at yourself...really....
    While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
    ....._

Comment

proving that anthill bait stays in the anthill if it wants a bite.

i have no idea what this is supposed to mean. then again, i fall into neither camp, and couldn't care less.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

• Wes, I don't see how you could say "adults are having a good discussion here," or, cynically, "does anyone have anything to contribute other than red herring." Just take a second look at the question you posed at the start of this thread: "Is she seeing some return to quality in mainstream rock that I'm missing?"

The people you claim to be having a "good discussion" with are the people who agree with you. They came to this thread to back-slap each other and smugly make fun of floggers. It is their subjective opinion that there is no return to quality in mainstream rock.

The people who you claim aren't contributing anything are the people who might have actually listened to the new Donnas album. It might or might not be their bag, baby, but at least they recognize that The Donnas and Nirvana have about this much in common --> . <--. The Donnas are trying to put out a little raw, old-fashioned rock. Sure, they don't have shredly chops...but if you can groove to an AC/DC tune, then you can bob your head to some Donnas.

I think there definitely is a return to quality happening in mainstream rock. I'm not sure if the music coming out now is better, or if I like it more, but I can appreciate that it's not Papa Roach single finger chord banging, or Nirvana clones. The way I see it, mainstream rock is in a process of branching out. People have finally realized that nu-metal as an evolution from grunge is not going to cut it. I'm hearing new sounds on the radio all the time, as long as you don't listen to clear channel classic rock or those lame clear channel "the zone" stations, that play nothing but Guns n Roses, Metallica, and whatever crap metal is coming out.

I'm sure that as much as you praise pre-Nirvana music culture, there was just as much crap out there that you avoided listening to/purchasing as there is now. I'm sorry that you don't like what's being played on MTV. Guess what? Neither do 99% of the forumites.

I would advise you to relax a little bit. The masses will feed on whatever the mass media wants. The airwaves will be clogged with whatever the corporations want. None of us can do anything about it, except think for ourselves and listen to what we like.
        You dare to blasphem Star Wars. May your death be painful and on a toilet.

- Pope on a Rope to Help!I'marock!

HCOBAC

ZOD MILITIA, recruitment chair

Comment

I agree with the first part of this but the second can be answered by one of the first things you learn in management.

If you don't address it, you bless it.

-wp

once again showing what you think your role on this forum is, instead of talking about what you're into. but then, its much easier to not be into anything and hate everything. i know. i've been there. i've moved on.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

My role's the same as anyone elses. State an opinion.

I'm off to practice/rehab.

-wp
            lol
            While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
            ....._

Comment

• Originally posted by tompetty
              Wow...Man that was good I gotta admit....who wants to bet that the comeback will be three chords...I mean three sentences or less???I'm on both sides...I like it all..

Heh, before you even got your reply off...
              You dare to blasphem Star Wars. May your death be painful and on a toilet.

- Pope on a Rope to Help!I'marock!

HCOBAC

ZOD MILITIA, recruitment chair

Comment

• I really...REALLY do love music and all that it involves....the fighting...the who ate the last box of Kraft Dinner....I love it all.....that's why I'm here...period....It's fun as hell...I don't get upset...I don't feel happy when I'm here....I feel at home.....I thank God for giving me any bit of ability and having the ability to try to pass it on to my 2 girls so that they will have something to fall 'BACK' on when times 'SEEM' tough...it's a great gift......

HCGB # 73

........__o
                ....._

Comment

My role's the same as anyone elses. State an opinion.

I'm off to practice/rehab. Have a good one will 'ya?

-wp

thanks for the condescending and faux civil conversation.

have a good rehab.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy James

Wouldn't you?

Yeah, probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by tompetty
                      gotta keep those West COASTERS on their toes..

I think you meant to say "gotta keep those West Coasters on their camel toes." As you know from the pictures you saw my camel toe is absolutely beautiful.

I'm also responsible for making sure HelpI'marock appreciates jazz and helping Powell out with some Hendrix.

If you read the papers and watch TV you will learn that I also was responsible for causing WWIII.

I'm an evil ****************er but at least I admit it.

Comment

• i would drink her bathwater

Comment

• Originally posted by Help!I'marock!

is it bad that i sleep with my zvex fuzz probe? is it?

are you sleeping with it or are you sleeping with it?

Comment

• Originally posted by barkeywayne

are you sleeping with it or are you sleeping with it?

all i can say is, heed zach's warning, and apply liberally:

(legal disclaimer DO NOT DROP THIS PEDAL ON YOUR FOOT! IT IS HEAVY AND HAS VERY POINTY CORNERS THAT COULD DAMAGE LIVING CREATURES AND FINE HARDWOOD FLOORING. ALSO, YOU COULD BREAK SOMETHING. Like your dog.

ow.

Comment

• Winner of the 2004 "Beating a Dead Horse" award:

Wes Powell
                              My Blog

My Flickr Stream

My Site

R9-->Teese Picture Wah-->Korg DT-10-->Splawn Quick Rod-->Scumback loaded Marshall 1960av

Comment

You do realize that there are people here old enough to know what was going on back then.

True, but it seems we're few and far between. Most people seem to view the 80s with some kind of rose-colored, "cheese-filter" nostalgia-glasses. I was 20 in 1984 and i knew horrible cheese when i heard it
                                Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Working...
                                X