Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electric Catfish [/

People that take the worst qualities of their influences rather than the best ones inevitably make bad music.

I'll admit....I was busy flapping my gums and not paying attn...I went back and read your words...

These words are words to live by....
    While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
    ....._

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
      Not at all. I thought it was a great post.

-wp

and yet you continue to troll nirvana. i'm sure somebody else will troll YJM too.
      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by FrettnOvrNuttn
        They're a tight band, been touring and recording for over 10 years, and are stylistic chameleons.

If she's seeing a resurgence in rock worth listening to, good chance she's looking in the mirror. These are some VERY smart, very talented women making a difference by DOING it, instead of just whining about it.

I diggem.

I dig them as well, and judging by the new album she plays a lot more interesting and rocking guitar than what I've heard come out of her critics modeling devices. I think some of these people are scared of women who rock out with Gibsons and Marshalls.

Comment

Meh, at the speed I read, it doesn't much matter. I'll just memorize 'em like I do everything else.

-wp

Well, ya know, that's kinda the idea anyway.
          My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

Not at all. I thought it was a great post.

-wp

Don't misunderstand me man (well, apparently you're not, but just in case someone else does...).

My post was in NO WAY meant as a reaction or a flame toward Wes. For that matter, I'm not sure that HelpI'maRock was pigeonholing Wes into a "camp" on this one either.

I was just commenting on corporate rock from ALL eras and abilities, not any particular genre.

Steve
            Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hey Izabella!

are scared of women who rock out with Gibsons and Marshalls.

LOL..Never...I invite them...come....sit around my kitchen table....sit...play.....your turn....your song.....
              While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
              ....._

Comment

this thread was never about whether the Donnas had any merit or not.

Then why did you point out at least twice that she had lip gloss on? The Donna's are like the Darkness, throwbacks to the classic rock era. One would think that would win your approval but there's no accounting for taste or lack thereof.

Rock On Brutha!

Comment

Thanks again for the books in case I didn't say so the first time.

-wp

-np

My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

their proper place in history - to blame for a 10 year drought in mainstream rock musicianship

-wp

Don't come back that's cool...come back,that's cool....this statement really makes me wonder though...

HCGB # 73

........__o
                    ....._

Comment

• I've also decided, from this point forward, to never again mention Yngwie. He's a tired example, and he's been demonized for his tastelessness as much as Kurt's been demonized for his lack of skill. Both examples are usually greatly exaggerrated.

Granted, I used Yngwie as an example in the last post (well...I was responding to someone that put him in what looked to me like a "one of these things is not like the other" list), but I'm going to try and refrain from even doing that anymore.

Hell, Yngwie's got more soul than Michael Angelo and that Petrelli (I think? maybe I'm thinking of someone else...) guy put together, for sure. Either of them would make a more worthwhile symbol and scapegoat.

Steve
                      Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

• I think maybe I meant Impelliterri, but even that's still spelled wrong I think. Somebody set me straight here....I'm gonna quit rattling for a while now.

Steve
                        Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

• Originally posted by tompetty

Don't come back that's cool...come back,that's cool....this statement really makes me wonder though...

I wonder about that statement as well because from what I have learned here rock guitar died in 1989 so that would be 15 years of **************** not 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wes_Powell
                            And it seems to be catching on. When they're relegated to their proper place in history - to blame for a 10 year drought in mainstream rock musicianship - it won't be necessary anymore.

hahahahahahahahahaha

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. i have 350 albums from the 90s. there was a LOT going on then, and if i've learned anything, its that nothing except stupid marketing people are responsible for what's in the mainstream. nirvana blew up in much the same way the white stripes blew up a couple of years ago. they were a fluke. but like catfish said, every CEO of every major label had to have their nirvana. it even happened in the jamband scene a few years later. every label had their own phish, and they were all commercial flops, just like phish. and why? because it was easier to market hanson and the spice girls.

another factor that people refuse to take into consideration is the advent of soundscan. people on the whole only care about if it sounds good. when that's your audience, and what matters is what sells, not what is good, as a marketing person, what are you going to do?

as for not taking the bait, i've heard that one before. we'll see. i'm hopeful, but we'll see.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Martling's still not banned is he?

-wp

considering he posted in this thread, no. course, he also helped me get into some cool jazz.

Comment

Chris Impelliteri and Al Pitrelli.

-wp

Yeah, I meant the Chris cat rather than Al. I don't think I've ever heard of Al Pitrelli, so I wasn't getting them mixed up, just leaving out some letters.

Far as Impelliteri goes, all I heard were a couple clips a few years back, in which he made Yngwie sound like B.B. King. In terms of soul, not chops. I was using YJM as a POSITIVE example here, so I'll allow myself that one...lol.

Steve
                                Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Working...
                                X