Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kicked a dead horse once..
    it didn't kick me back...
    I kicked it again........
    While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
    ....._

Comment

This thread is USELESS WITHOUT PICS!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
        I applaud her for lamenting the fact that great heros of the past are being forgotten but I didn't get that she was poo-pooing grunge. She basically said that she's unhappy with the backlash against grunge and went on to make the same excuses for Cobain that some people make here. My question, still unanswered in all the axe grinding, stands as asked. Is there some kind of groundswell towards improved musicianship in rock that she knows about but I'm missing? Has the time finally come to place grunge in the historical garbage bin of blame where it belongs or was she mistakenly stating something that isn't happening yet?

-wp

I got good ears...two of them in fact....one on each side in fact...

The Donnas are just barely ok imo....
        Nothing lost nothing gained..
        While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
        ....._

Comment

just fine .

-wp

We musta been listen' to two different albums....

HCGB # 73

........__o
          ....._

Comment

I like the Donnas.

Comment

Has the time finally come to place grunge in the historical garbage bin of blame where it belongs or was she mistakenly stating something that isn't happening yet?

-wp

I'm optimistic, but I've seen only scant evidence of it happening. Perhaps the next crop of teens will relegate grunge to its rightful place in the trash bin of nearly forgotten music.

I do hope that it's never forgotten completely. I would suggest a special section (in a dank basement, of course) of the RRHOF devoted to grunge where visitors for many years can see/hear evidence of a generation who turned its back on the spirit of R&R and elevated anti-heroes to icon status. I think it is important for people to see this, lest they forget about it and possibly repeat it. As you would walk up the creaky stairs from grunge section, they should have a brightly lit wing with 20' statues of Guitar Gods: Hendrix, RR, SRV, Clapton, VH, YJM,.......etc. The visual and sonic impact of such a display would contrast so dramatically and would speak for itself.

Comment

Who the hell are the Donnas?
                My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

The problem with post-Nirvana "grunge", or whatever you want to call it, is that most of those cats missed the point just as bad as the shredder types did. Kurt made good music DESPITE his limitations as a guitarist, NOT BECAUSE of them. A lot of guys thought that just because Kurt made worthwhile music without being a technical wizard, they could too...But the "musicianship", good or bad, was never the point of that stuff...it was the end result and the impact it had.

A lot of ****************ty bands used Kurt as a crutch and an excuse to play badly and never get better. Truth of the matter is, Kurt WAS getting better before his death. Guys that purposefully play badly are just as bad as guys who think it's all about playing technically well.

They both make the mistake of thinking that rock and roll is about how good (or bad) the guitarist is, which is a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at music.

Far as someone complaining that the Donnas' guitarist plays pentatonic licks at the 5th fret a lot....hey, so did Chuck Berry. It's about the attitude behind it.

Hell, truth of the matter is, that Tremonti cat is probably a technically better guitarist than Kurt (or Chuck, for that matter).Not that he's great or anything, but I digress... That doesn't mean his music's as good though.

The Bush/Creed/insert other crappy bands here that followed the success of Nirvana had the chops of Kurt mixed with the creativity of Winger. Worst of both worlds style corporate rock.

The Donnas, on the other hand, have something of value to offer, and the guitarist is plenty proficient, for what they're doing. She's probably not going to get hired to play for King Crimson or anything...then again, Robert Fripp wouldn't be the best match for the Ramones either. It's all about playing appropriately in the context..something cats like Chuck, Keef, Randy Rhoads, Fripp, Kurt, and the chick from the Donnas always have done. I don't put them all in the same category ability-wise, just in terms of fitting what they were/are doing.

There's room for everything. People that take the worst qualities of their influences rather than the best ones inevitably make bad music. The post-Kurt scene, in that sense, has been the way the post-Eddie scene was in the late 80's. All the chops, none of the inspiration. Corporate rock's always been that way...it just so happens that now we've got guys with Kurt-chops playing bad music, rather than the late 80's, when it was guys with Eddie chops playing bad music. It's still bad music either way...

Steve

p.s. The Donnas RAWK.
                  Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Long

I'm optimistic, No you're not...

I do hope that it's never forgotten completely. I would suggest a special section (in a dank basement, of course)(GOOFY) of the RRHOF devoted to grunge where visitors for many years can see/hear evidence of a generation who turned its back on the spirit of R&R and elevated anti-heroes to icon status. I think it is important for people to see this, lest they forget about it and possibly repeat it. As you would walk up the creaky stairs from grunge section, they should have a brightly lit wing with 20' statues of Guitar Gods: Hendrix, RR, SRV, Clapton, VH, YJM,.......etc. The visual and sonic impact of such a display would contrast so dramatically and would speak for itself.
                    Prefer Brit?Avril?(It doesn't surprise me that the producer of Avril had his hands in the pie of the last Donnas album)...My aim when it comes to this **************** is put forth as many choices,and or,styles to my kids as I can....they'll make up their own mind....By the way??They both really like Kasey Chambers....How many here own a Kasey Chambers CD??A show of hands???

HCGB # 73

........__o
                    ....._

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Catfish
                      The problem with post-Nirvana "grunge", or whatever you want to call it, is that most of those cats missed the point just as bad as the shredder types did. Kurt made good music DESPITE his limitations as a guitarist, NOT BECAUSE of them. A lot of guys thought that just because Kurt made worthwhile music without being a technical wizard, they could too...But the "musicianship", good or bad, was never the point of that stuff...it was the end result and the impact it had.

A lot of ****************ty bands used Kurt as a crutch and an excuse to play badly and never get better. Truth of the matter is, Kurt WAS getting better before his death. Guys that purposefully play badly are just as bad as guys who think it's all about playing technically well.

They both make the mistake of thinking that rock and roll is about how good (or bad) the guitarist is, which is a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at music.

Far as someone complaining that the Donnas' guitarist plays pentatonic licks at the 5th fret a lot....hey, so did Chuck Berry. It's about the attitude behind it.

Hell, truth of the matter is, that Tremonti cat is probably a technically better guitarist than Kurt (or Chuck, for that matter).Not that he's great or anything, but I digress... That doesn't mean his music's as good though.

The Bush/Creed/insert other crappy bands here that followed the success of Nirvana had the chops of Kurt mixed with the creativity of Winger. Worst of both worlds style corporate rock.

The Donnas, on the other hand, have something of value to offer, and the guitarist is plenty proficient, for what they're doing. She's probably not going to get hired to play for King Crimson or anything...then again, Robert Fripp wouldn't be the best match for the Ramones either. It's all about playing appropriately in the context..something cats like Chuck, Keef, Randy Rhoads, Fripp, Kurt, and the chick from the Donnas always have done. I don't put them all in the same category ability-wise, just in terms of fitting what they were/are doing.

There's room for everything. People that take the worst qualities of their influences rather than the best ones inevitably make bad music. The post-Kurt scene, in that sense, has been the way the post-Eddie scene was in the late 80's. All the chops, none of the inspiration. Corporate rock's always been that way...it just so happens that now we've got guys with Kurt-chops playing bad music, rather than the late 80's, when it was guys with Eddie chops playing bad music. It's still bad music either way...

Steve

p.s. The Donnas RAWK.

+1

but the idea that this will be recognized by either camp is slim to none.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by tompetty
                        How many here own a Kasey Chambers CD??A show of hands???

i do! i do!
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Long

I'm optimistic, but I've seen only scant evidence of it happening. Perhaps the next crop of teens will relegate grunge to its rightful place in the trash bin of nearly forgotten music.

I do hope that it's never forgotten completely. I would suggest a special section (in a dank basement, of course) of the RRHOF devoted to grunge where visitors for many years can see/hear evidence of a generation who turned its back on the spirit of R&R and elevated anti-heroes to icon status. I think it is important for people to see this, lest they forget about it and possibly repeat it. As you would walk up the creaky stairs from grunge section, they should have a brightly lit wing with 20' statues of Guitar Gods: Hendrix, RR, SRV, Clapton, VH, YJM,.......etc. The visual and sonic impact of such a display would contrast so dramatically and would speak for itself.

Your list of Guitar Gods makes sense, with the exception of Yngwie, who is probably the most technically skilled of the lot. The "spirit of rock and roll" has never been about how good the guitarist is. Jimi, Randy, Stevie, Clapton, and Eddie all played in great bands with great tunes, and great music. Yngwie's always been more about the "guitar hero" status than the music, but he is a great player, don't get me wrong.

When you think about it, all these guys, with the exception of Yngwie, at some point made a move toward more song-oriented playing and less flash at some point.

Post-Cream Clapton, BOG-era Jimi (he got tired of the pyrotechnic flashy stuff and just wanted to stand and play toward the end)..Stevie did Family Style with Jimmy, who he ALWAYS said was a better player than he was, because of Jimmy's substance-over-flash mentality, which Stevie admittedly envied to some degree...Randy wanted to go in a more pure classical (read, LESS hero status) direction and was probably going to leave Ozzy's band anyway, reportedly. Eddie, for better or worse, tamed down the pyrotechnics when Sammy joined too.

Those guys all matured and saw the big picture. Music is what matters. Yngwie has never really seemed to get that. Flash is impressive for a while, but good music is what sustains a career.

Steve
                          Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by Help!I'marock!

i do! i do!

LOL...Which one, and what do you think??That's my question....

HCGB # 73

........__o
                            ....._

Comment

All girl pop punk group. They ain't that bad for what they are.

That'd explain why I'd never heard of them!

Hey, I'm working with Take Two but I'm having a bit of a problem with G1 and G2's measures not matching up on the opposite pages.

But I still dig it.

-wp

They should at least have the same number of measures per page (in total), even if they don't line up perfectly line by line. (kinda tough when one part is doing quarters while the other is doing 16ths, etc). If it gets to be too much of a problem, number all the measures manually.
                              My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by tompetty

LOL...Which one, and what do you think??That's my question....

barricades and brick walls

i got it because "not pretty enough" just kills me every time i hear it. other than that, its just a mediocre corporate rock album. its ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X