Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by or3stes

ast week, Japanese scientists placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Lochness to blow Nessy out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessy Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.

I love that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by tompetty
      Well...My seven year old that turns eight today(Happy Birthday Jodi) is getting a sony walkman and 2 cd's...Nellie McKay and The Donnas...
      Well...went out at lunch and got the sony,the cd case and they had one Donnas'Spend The Night'...Offa work now and gonna go home and listen to it with her....I've not heard The Donnas before ..
      While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
      ....._

Comment

Originally posted by anomaly

Man, Brad Gillis butchered Randy Rhoads solos.

Wouldn't you?
        Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

man...

Lots of fists flying around HC these past couple of days

I haven't read this whole thread but i admit that I found the Donna's song, "take it off" catchy when it came out. They had a free concert by them on my cable about 6 months ago so I tried to watch it and was unimpressed because all the tunes were very similar. They were all in A and the chick did every solo in the 5th fret position of the A pent scale...she coulda used some pedals and what not herself to spice it up.

howver, she is a bit cute and has good taste in guitars
          EC1000

Comment

Originally posted by mogwaithegreat
            Soon it'll be just you and Jammity James (Nice xmas letter to trape btw!)

Thanks. I wrote it after watching Elf. I was only responding to the disparaging remarks he made about me at Hate R' Us. I stand by it 100%. But I guess that's ok because he's such a wacky loveable guy.

Funny how some people get a pass for being a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy James

Wouldn't you?

I don't know about him but I would and sometimes do.

I never heard any boots of brad playing randy stuff. I just use to have Speak of The Devil and if I remember correctly, that was all sabbath, right?
              EC1000

Comment

Originally posted by EC1000

I just use to have Speak of The Devil and if I remember correctly, that was all sabbath, right?

Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
                  Yes, SOTD was all Sabbath material but I have boots of Brad playing Randy's stuff. Not only did he learn all of Randy's songs and solos in 3 days, (J.J. will shoot me for this) but he was more true to Randy's tone and technique than Jake ever was.

-wp

I think you should send me copies of those boots so you won't feel paranoid that I'll shoot you.

I'm not big on guys stepping in and being clones of the first guy. You have be a little reverent and add your own thing at the same time which is hard.

I have a live video of Jake live in Japan nailing the Randy stuff but doing his own thing at the same time. It's kinda refreshing actually.

Comment

True but given only 3 days to learn the stuff doesn't give you much time to add in your own stuff until sometime down the road. Jake pretty much steadfastly refused to tap, which was fine, and he accomodated himself well. But if you liked Randy's style and tone, Brad was the man.

-wp

I have two videos of Jake. Live in Japan and Ultimate Sin. He taps on both. If anything he's anti whammy. He got the same effect man handling the tunning pegs.

I'm a Brad fan so I'm sure he kicked ass. His tone on Speak of the Devil is the best I've ever heard him.

Comment

They haven't had any red meat for awhile and I feared protein deficiency. So, I obliged and they rose up. They even made the banner headline in the USA Today this morning.

Predictably Unable to Cope with the Subject Matter Before Them, Guitar Jam Plodded Along Blissfully Unaware of the Irony of their Forum Title...

-wp

ha-ha. what would I do without this place. I tell ya one thing -work would sure suck without popping on to HC once in awhile (read: a whole lot)
                      EC1000

Comment

Originally posted by EC1000
                        man...

Lots of fists flying around HC these past couple of days

I haven't read this whole thread but i admit that I found the Donna's song, "take it off" catchy when it came out. They had a free concert by them on my cable about 6 months ago so I tried to watch it and was unimpressed because all the tunes were very similar. They were all in A and the chick did every solo in the 5th fret position of the A pent scale...she coulda used some pedals and what not herself to spice it up.

howver, she is a bit cute and has good taste in guitars

Am home..I listened to it but found myself listening to a verse and chorus and going to next tune...Kid's gone away for the day so she didn't get to listen to it yet...The Donnas are kinda cute(music wise) I guess...Kinda modern Go Go's....It's not something I'd put on if I was alone in contrast to Evenescence which she got for X-mas which I do like....The whole purpose anyway is to expose my daughters to as many different female artists as possible....mission accomplished....
                        While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
                        ....._

Comment

Originally posted by tompetty

Am home..I listened to it but found myself listening to a verse and chorus and going to next tune...Kid's gone away for the day so she didn't get to listen to it yet...The Donnas are kinda cute(music wise) I guess...Kinda modern Go Go's....It's not something I'd put on if I was alone in contrast to Evenescence which she got for X-mas which I do like....The whole purpose anyway is to expose my daughters to as many different female artists as possible....mission accomplished....

Their Latest album drops the girl band image a little, it sounded a lot more Classic Rock style.

less Cute, more rawk!
                          "Ohmygod, don't give phunkyfred2 a harp guiter---" ~ Danocoustic

Loyal Bucketbot
                          Commander of the HCGJ division

Toneport Mafia.
                          http://www.myspace.com/phunkyphred
                          http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phunkyphred

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Originally posted by phunkyphredv2

Their Latest album drops the girl band image a little, it sounded a lot more Classic Rock style.

less Cute, more rawk!

Cool..Thanks...if they dig 'em I'll pick that up for them too....

HCGB # 73

........__o
                            ....._

Comment

Originally posted by barkeywayne

i would like to express my mock outrage that people are going down on sloppy lame fuzz boxes.

is it bad that i sleep with my zvex fuzz probe? is it?

The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Originally posted by RUExp?

I believe you totally missunderstood her point. She said:

"I think it also hurts rock guitar that the grunge backlash hasn't died down-that all the players were sloppy and lame and they covered up their crap with fuzz boxes."

She's not talking about a backlash towards grunge, she's saying that grunge is the backlash and is still ongoing.

"To me, however, Kurt Cobain was the epitome of a really cool, interesting guitar player. A lot of people say he was no virtuoso, but you know what? He was probably playing cooler stuff than you were! Kurt went against the grain and showed guitarists that they don't have to be technical charlatans and I really wish more of today's players would be just as rebellious."

Here she's saying that despite Kurt Cobain not be a virtuoso he played some interesting guitar and showed that you don't have to be a technical player to make good rock music.

So Wes, did you pick it up wrong? Can you see that like you she is denigrating the grunge generation but unlike you sees merit in Cobain? Do you applaud her for her choice in trying to embrace improved guitar musicianship, her championing of Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Steppenwolf and her poo-pooing grunge, or can you not get past the fact she liked Cobain?
                                Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

Working...
                                X