Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donnas guitarist laments ongoing grunge "backlash"

She's sad that people these days are supposedly down on "sloppy and lame and covered up their crap with fuzz boxes".

The horrah.

Is she seeing some return to quality in mainstream rock that I'm missing?

-wp
    Originally posted by WulfmanJax:
    ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

http://www.myspace.com/wespowell1

Download the tunes

compared to their first releases the Donnas newest album has some pretty cool rock music on it. (from everything i've heard of it, that is.)

She's hot. She plays some Tasty Riffs.

i wouldn't mind gettin' to know her personally.
    "Ohmygod, don't give phunkyfred2 a harp guiter---" ~ Danocoustic

Loyal Bucketbot
    Commander of the HCGJ division

Toneport Mafia.
    http://www.myspace.com/phunkyphred
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phunkyphred

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the quote...who covered what crap in fuzzboxes...and is she saying "lame" in a good way(is that possible), or is that a different set of players from the so-called 'grunge' guys? I can't make any coherent sense out of it at all...got a link to the interview?

Anyway, the Donnas are pretty rockin'. Kind of like the Ramones or AC/DC, but hot.

Steve
      Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

I'm not quite sure what the point of the question is.
        She's got nothing to be sad about. Her chops, while not jaw dropping, are pretty damn good in their own right!
        Gibson Les Paul Standard and Studio, Am Dlx Strat w/DG actives, Am Std Tele w/Fralins
        Marshall DSL 50--Egnater Rebel 30--Fender Super Sonic 22

"I am Classic Rock Revisited. I revisit it every waking moment of my life because it has the spirit
        and the attitude and the fire and the middle finger. I am Rosa Parks with a Gibson guitar." -Ted Nugent

Geezer Brigade trooper #54
        No pain....Just gain!

Comment

Originally posted by Wes_Powell
          She's got some nice lip gloss on for her Guitar Player cover this month.

-wp

I bought that mag.

i generally don't buy 'em unless i really dig the stories.

It was worth the money i spent. and she's purdy, as well as enjoys classic rock.

Loyal Bucketbot

Toneport Mafia.

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Lame is not only good these days, it's preferrable. So I would definitely think she's using that term in a positive way...at least the way she looks at things. She seemed to be upset that guitar playing on a level above hers and modern "rock's" might return and that mediocrity in rock may return to where it used to be - in the garage.

-wp

I still don't understand really...She's a solid guitar player. Not a technical wizard by any means, but she plays well in the context of what she's doing...

Do you have a link to the interview? I'm curious...

Steve
            Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

She's no Brad Gillis!
              Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

i didn't get that at all out of that interview.

she seemed happy to be playin' guitar music. unhappy that most people didn't know who the classic guitar greats were.

"everyday another classic legend is forgotten" or somethin like that.

so, yeah, she dislikes the current state of music. But she's not hoping it'll get worst.

Loyal Bucketbot

Toneport Mafia.

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Lame is not only good these days, it's preferrable. So I would definitely think she's using that term in a positive way...at least the way she looks at things. She seemed to be upset that guitar playing on a level above hers and modern "rock's" might return and that mediocrity in rock may return to where it used to be - in the garage.

-wp

Could you stop whining. It would be nice.

Comment

Kurt doesn't need an apology. Still plenty of folks buying his music. In fact, I'm using a gift certificate my cousin gave me for Christmas to buy the box set on my way back to the 'Ville Thursday. I'm going to tell the cashier that you recommended it.

Steve
                    Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy James
                      She's no Brad Gillis!

Man, Brad Gillis butchered Randy Rhoads solos.

Comment

And yeah, the other guys you mentioned are all great too. My bass player (and myself, whenever I was at their gigs...) used to play with Gatemouth's old rhythm guitar player (he played rhythm for Gatemouth, lead and sang in his own band), Ron Harris. I stole his bass player, who I met through those jam sessions, and a few months later, he (Ron) had a heart attack and died. He was one of those cats that was around forever and was still playing 5 nights a week when he died. He told some pretty good stories about Gatemouth, but we were usually so hammered on Wild Turkey (and other things...) when we hung out that I can't remember any of them off the top of my head.

Gotta respect a guy like him though.

Steve
                        Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

her most influential bands for the new album.

Steppenwolf, deep purple, Led Zepplin, Iron Butterflyy, REM, Supergrass.

he got angry that the 100 greatest metal players didn't include lita ford, and talked in lenght about Sexism. (it was a question posed to her.. i don't think she brough ti tup..)

she bitched about everything being protooled and bogged with effects.

she said she thinks Cobain was smart because he went against what everyoine else was doing.

Loyal Bucketbot

Toneport Mafia.

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Thanks for the productive input to the discussion!

-wp

It's the same old discussion you started when you first got here, what was that? 3 years ago? Give it up man, go relax and listen to some Yanni or whatever elevator music your currently into.

Comment

Is she seeing some return to quality in mainstream rock that I'm missing?

-wp

Have you heard the most recent Donna's record?

I'd be willing to wager a couple grand in Vegas that you haven't heard it so with all due respect STFU!

Comment

Working...
                              X