Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

PodXT users, UNITE!

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Dirt
    aepoc,

    So when you're recording with the stereo signal does it record as two separate tracks that you can then mix individually? I think I have a stereo Y-Cable somewhere (2 mono 1/4" to a single stereo 1/4"). That should do the trick, right?


    Yes, that Y adapter should do the trick. I can't mix individually, cuz I don't have a multi-tracking soundcard. I do, however, have a yamaha AW16G digital recorder, and I can multi-track into that if I wanted to. I layer all my guitar sounds anyway, so I don't have a problem recording multiple takes with diff. amps/etc. Gives a much FULLER sound.
    **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
    XT Brotherhood
    SAVE ROCK!
    Me on Flickr







    Originally Posted by SirGarrote


    You're losing teh rawk.









    Originally Posted by Gainon10


    I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









    Originally Posted by mattburnside


    Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by aepoc
      Yes, that Y adapter should do the trick. I can't mix individually, cuz I don't have a multi-tracking soundcard. I do, however, have a yamaha AW16G digital recorder, and I can multi-track into that if I wanted to. I layer all my guitar sounds anyway, so I don't have a problem recording multiple takes with diff. amps/etc. Gives a much FULLER sound.

      I'll see if I can find that and give it a try then. I record multiple takes with different amps and pickup selections for layering too. Especially for distorted guitar. You can definitely get some huge sounds that way. It's just the chorus thing that is bugging me, so I want to see if I can get it to record the stereo signal that I hear in headphones from the POD.
      XT Brotherhood

      My eBay auctions

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Dirt
        I'll see if I can find that and give it a try then. I record multiple takes with different amps and pickup selections for layering too. Especially for distorted guitar. You can definitely get some huge sounds that way. It's just the chorus thing that is bugging me, so I want to see if I can get it to record the stereo signal that I hear in headphones from the POD.


        For the layering, do you pan one guitar a bit left and the other a bit right? That's how I do it. 40% panning (using ACID 4.0).

        Also, when you're trying to record stereo, don't forget to use the LINE IN jack on the soundcard, instead of the MIC jack. MIC = Mono. LINE IN = stereo.
        **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
        XT Brotherhood
        SAVE ROCK!
        Me on Flickr







        Originally Posted by SirGarrote


        You're losing teh rawk.









        Originally Posted by Gainon10


        I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









        Originally Posted by mattburnside


        Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by weezy17 oh yeah do any of you guys use TRS cables instead of regular 1/4"?????? any difference?
          Yes and yes! Balanced is always better and worth the time and trouble in the big picture.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by aepoc
            For the layering, do you pan one guitar a bit left and the other a bit right? That's how I do it. 40% panning (using ACID 4.0).

            Also, when you're trying to record stereo, don't forget to use the LINE IN jack on the soundcard, instead of the MIC jack. MIC = Mono. LINE IN = stereo.

            I don't have a set rule, I guess. I definitely do one panned left and one panned right. In the past I have panned them probably 50 or 60%. I recently remembered reading something about either one of Jerry Cantrell's solo albums or one of the AIC albums that said he recorded with 2 amps, one panned hard left and one panned hard right. I'm working on a recording right now and I tried that just to give it a listen and I thought it sounded pretty good, so I may leave it like that for this recording.
            XT Brotherhood

            My eBay auctions

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dirt

              I don't have a set rule, I guess. I definitely do one panned left and one panned right. In the past I have panned them probably 50 or 60%. I recently remembered reading something about either one of Jerry Cantrell's solo albums or one of the AIC albums that said he recorded with 2 amps, one panned hard left and one panned hard right. I'm working on a recording right now and I tried that just to give it a listen and I thought it sounded pretty good, so I may leave it like that for this recording.


              Excellent! You're gonna have to post that clip then, you realize that right?
              **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
              XT Brotherhood
              SAVE ROCK!
              Me on Flickr







              Originally Posted by SirGarrote


              You're losing teh rawk.









              Originally Posted by Gainon10


              I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









              Originally Posted by mattburnside


              Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by aepoc
                Excellent! You're gonna have to post that clip then, you realize that right?

                Yeah, I was thinking I might post it for feedback when I'm done. It's a full song though, so it may take me awhile to finish it up. It is a cover of the song "Low" by Cracker. I haven't done much recording honestly. I just started last year, using a J-Station, and I've only done a couple short things and one song. I read up a lot on it before I started and I think I've been able to get some pretty good results considering the relatively low $ investment I've made. I stopped almost as soon as I started though because school got really busy for me. I'm in my last semster though now and I have a really light load, so I'm finding some time to get back into it. I just got the PODxt last month and I must say I think it sounds a lot better than the J-Station (which really wasn't bad either).
                XT Brotherhood

                My eBay auctions

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dirt

                  Yeah, I was thinking I might post it for feedback when I'm done. It's a full song though, so it may take me awhile to finish it up. It is a cover of the song "Low" by Cracker. I haven't done much recording honestly. I just started last year, using a J-Station, and I've only done a couple short things and one song. I read up a lot on it before I started and I think I've been able to get some pretty good results considering the relatively low $ investment I've made. I stopped almost as soon as I started though because school got really busy for me. I'm in my last semster though now and I have a really light load, so I'm finding some time to get back into it. I just got the PODxt last month and I must say I think it sounds a lot better than the J-Station (which really wasn't bad either).


                  I understand about no time. All I do is work, and play guitar... so I've got all the time in the world. Do you have the model packs? We should trade some patches.
                  **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
                  XT Brotherhood
                  SAVE ROCK!
                  Me on Flickr







                  Originally Posted by SirGarrote


                  You're losing teh rawk.









                  Originally Posted by Gainon10


                  I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









                  Originally Posted by mattburnside


                  Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

                  Comment


                  • **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
                    XT Brotherhood
                    SAVE ROCK!
                    Me on Flickr







                    Originally Posted by SirGarrote


                    You're losing teh rawk.









                    Originally Posted by Gainon10


                    I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









                    Originally Posted by mattburnside


                    Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

                    Comment


                    • bumperooski
                      **ROCK ON MAZI BEE**
                      XT Brotherhood
                      SAVE ROCK!
                      Me on Flickr







                      Originally Posted by SirGarrote


                      You're losing teh rawk.









                      Originally Posted by Gainon10


                      I think putting an amp on less than "10" is a fear of committment.









                      Originally Posted by mattburnside


                      Liar. Women don't understand fractions.

                      Comment


                      • So who here uses their podxt with an amp. I have been using my podxt live with my Laney VH100r stack, and I am very happy with the sounds I have been getting. I am still testing things out, seeing what fits best. Somtimes I go through the front of the amp, and just use the podxt for effects, and sometimes I go through the effects loop and use everything (amp modeling and so on) .. but when I do this I turn of the cab and mic models completly... anybody else been experimenting with this? tips? results? share with your brethren.

                        Comment


                        • I'm getting a POD XT..
                          what's the cheapest way to get one?
                          Any of you peeps that work in a guitarshop, and can get a employee-discount or something?
                          my band @ myspace: Green Light, GO!


                          "Just because you're paranoid,
                          don't mean they're not after you"

                          Good deals with: theweight (x1000, top man!), ILoveYouMan, Clorox, ollenorin, jubb, Ancient Mariner, Stubacca, kyrreca, Mike_Muse_Rage (eBay-transaction), bvester, sh333, shegobblescock, cdarwincole, putdownripoff, Devi Ever (eBay)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by andrewjudah So who here uses their podxt with an amp. I have been using my podxt live with my Laney VH100r stack, and I am very happy with the sounds I have been getting. I am still testing things out, seeing what fits best. Somtimes I go through the front of the amp, and just use the podxt for effects, and sometimes I go through the effects loop and use everything (amp modeling and so on) .. but when I do this I turn of the cab and mic models completly... anybody else been experimenting with this? tips? results? share with your brethren.
                            Well in really general terms when using the XT with an amp, you may well be better off placing it in the effects loop and not using the amp sims or speaker sims or mic sims or room sims and only using the XT as an effects processor.

                            The other alternative being to bypass the pre-amp stages of your amp and to run it into the power-amp-in, in which case you would likely want to use at least some of the sims I mentioned above.

                            The truth of the matter is that the Pod is perhaps most happy through a flat and full range system. A typical guitar amp is definitely not flat or full range. A Roland JC120 or an Atomic perhaps being somewhat of an exception. Go here for more:
                            http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=3

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Zoidberg I'm getting a POD XT..
                              what's the cheapest way to get one?
                              Any of you peeps that work in a guitarshop, and can get a employee-discount or something?
                              The cheapest way to get one would be locally and used I would think!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by alby
                                The cheapest way to get one would be locally and used I would think!


                                nah-ah.. not in Norway.. cheaper to import..
                                they go for around 800$ new here..
                                :/
                                my band @ myspace: Green Light, GO!


                                "Just because you're paranoid,
                                don't mean they're not after you"

                                Good deals with: theweight (x1000, top man!), ILoveYouMan, Clorox, ollenorin, jubb, Ancient Mariner, Stubacca, kyrreca, Mike_Muse_Rage (eBay-transaction), bvester, sh333, shegobblescock, cdarwincole, putdownripoff, Devi Ever (eBay)

                                Comment













                                Working...
                                X