Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen
    derivicus?

Comment

Originally posted by deevee
      I had the same thought: this thread is mocking our moderators!

Comment

theres nothing wrong with an original crybaby

ive used them for years, but i dont look for a super-vocal heavy sound with them, more of a tonal tool. thats where i think the crybaby wins, there are many wahs out there that will do the vocal thing much better, but as far as sweeping the pedal very slowing and every-so-often i think the crybaby wins.

the only mod ive done is roll the rocker pot back a little to take off a little of the high end. i still have a good treble hump to it, but i took off the highest part that hurts the ears.

before this mod, after you open the crybaby up but BEFORE you do the mod, move the pedal back & forth and watch inside so you'll know which way to turn the gear to get more or less treble.

its easy, just open it up (remove bottom cover). there is a white "stick" with teeth. all you have to do is loosen the screw that pushes the "stick" into the gears enough to pull it back away from the gear. then roll the "gearwheel" back for less high end or foreward more for more treble. you can tell which way to turn it by watching which way it moves when moving the pedal rocker back & forth.

i think they (crybaby) rock for clean or slightly dirty vocal stuff, but with heavier distortion i think they are great as a slow moving tool - not so much for the heavy vocal wah sound - but that sound is so overdone why would anyone need it very often?
        <

Spam: line 6 floorboard it works with AX2, Flextone, FlextoneII, POD, POD pro, Bass POD, Bass POD pro, and Spider

$90 shipped in cont. USA

Dano fab-echo, 4 hours use w/box $10 shipped OR $5 shipped plus 1 working bass tuning peg (for me silly)

Comment

Is it even true by pass?

Comment

I thought I was just an ****************************. :^(
            Reality is the original Rorschach.

Comment

Originally posted by fishfartz
              theres nothing wrong with an original crybaby

Oh, there most certainly is.

Original Crybabies had no signal buffering and used a bypass scheme known affectionately as "half-assed bypass" which loaded the signal down when not engaged, causing a considerable degree of tone-sucking. I've done a true bypass mod on two of my own original Thomas Organ Crybabies and the difference is night and day.
              CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Should i true by pass mod the GCB95?

Comment

Originally posted by crispyguitarist
                  Should i true by pass mod the GCB95?

The later models, like the GCB95, are not nearly as bad as the originals in terms of killing your tone when bypassed. Here's the test: play through the wah in bypass mode. Then remove the wah from your chain, but make sure to use the same amount of cable (that is, if you were playing through the wah with two 10' cables, use a 20' cable of roughly the same quality). If you can't hear the difference, then there's no point in doing a true bypass mod.

Later circuits like the GCB-95 use a FET buffering system that helps with the bypass issue quite a bit. Contrary to what some people will tell you, true bypass is not the end-all be-all, and a little high-quality buffering goes a long way.
                  CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Ive had two, one with out the true by pass and one with it, and I didnt like either.

Comment

Originally posted by cvogue
                      I like my crybaby...

me too

it works for my needs just fine, so **************** ya'll
                      Member of the Mazi Bee KICK ASS MILITIA m/

Comment

Originally posted by mattburnside

Oh, there most certainly is.

Original Crybabies had no signal buffering and used a bypass scheme known affectionately as "half-assed bypass" which loaded the signal down when not engaged, causing a considerable degree of tone-sucking. I've done a true bypass mod on two of my own original Thomas Organ Crybabies and the difference is night and day.

i must be off then, i thought the newer gcb 95 was the original crybaby

thats the one im saying theres nothing wrong with.(95)

ive never noticed any tone sucking with mine (gcb 95), maybe because i dont use it much but when i do its directly after my red jekyll&hyde overdrive which has a "pure pedal buffer" circuit that buffers your signal and keeps it strong starting with the jekyll&hyde and works through all your pedals AFTER it in line, so it still sounds like you are going straight into the amp.

but even if i just go guitar>gcb95>amp, i dont notice any tone loss, not enough to where an audience could tell a difference. trust me, if you are anal about your sounds in your bedroom then yes, a good bypass mod will probably work for you, but dont worry about doing it for the audience - most of them wont care untill you are a super-star guitar player, then everyone WILL want to disect your tone
                        <

Spam: line 6 floorboard it works with AX2, Flextone, FlextoneII, POD, POD pro, Bass POD, Bass POD pro, and Spider

$90 shipped in cont. USA

Dano fab-echo, 4 hours use w/box $10 shipped OR $5 shipped plus 1 working bass tuning peg (for me silly)

Comment

Hey people,

I bought a Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby used from a guy for $10.00. I got it to function properly after fixing it's wiring harness. The sound of the stock setup was a muddy low end and a high shrill top end typical of a stock Crybaby. I decided to upgrade this wah pedal as a project.

I contacted Area 51 Audio Designs and Fulltone, ordered the parts, installed a Fulltone ICAR tone pot, a Carling 316pp DPDT switch, an Area 51 wah circuit board and a stereo & mono Switchcraft audio jacks. Area 51 has a Vintage Italian wah kit that has all of the parts already. You can wire it up yourself or you can order it pre-wired for a little extra.

http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=001&Category_C ode=cat002

Installing a new DPDT switch, Fulltone tone pot and the Area 51 circuit board made this cheap wah now a very useful, great sounding, vintage Vox wah clone. I'm happy with the cool sounds of the circuit board.

The Area 51 circuit board has good carbon comp resistors, a custom inductor (the key to the sound of a good wah pedal) and other high quality components. The wah has a good vintage wah sound, is quiet and doesn't suck tone when it's bypassed.
                          Here is a picture of my customized Crybaby wah with the Area 51 circuit board, Fulltone tone pot, Carling 316pp DPDT switch and Switchcraft jacks:

Guitar George
                          Guitars: Hamer USA, Gibson, Fender

Amps: '92 30th Anniversary Marshall 6101, Reverend Goblin, Vox AC15CC1, Soldano Astroverb 16, Rocktron Vendetta, ADA Depot 3TM mod MP-1 preamp
                          Effects:Area 51, Boss, Xotic, MXR, Korg, MI Audio, Analogman

HC Forum References: armoredfist316, stillakid

Comment

derivicus?

Some things never change.

Comment

I think the regular $69.99 crybaby sounds great.

Comment

My crybaby sounds like crap. What mods do you suggest i look into for my crybaby. It's the Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95.

Have you tried adjusting the range of it yet? I usually adjust them to my main guitar. Singles or humbuckers..etc...

Comment

Working...
                                X