Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the best that black metal has to offer?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Her first fret was a bit high...so I recently took it down a hair with my dremel. A pro luthier probably could have done a more asthetically pleasing job, but I got 'er done and the action is flawless now. Even with the truss rod set dead straight and the bridge set to Gibson setup specs.
    I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by superpoo

bal sagoth has the best lyrics out of any band in the world.

COME TO ME HYPERIONS CHILD!
      COME TO ME, SPAWN OF TITAN!

That's certainly a cut above

OPEN THE DOOR JEHOVA YOU WHORE.

Deicide...the most overrated metal band by metal purists I can think of.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Deicide is THE best death metal band around aside from Death.

Comment

Originally posted by CountGrishnackh
          Deicide is THE best death metal band around aside from Death.

Morbid Angel > Deicide

American death metal is poor anyway, with the exception of Death.

At The Gates turned the death metal world on it's ear and America has been chasing Europe hopelessly ever since.

Dark Tranquillity has evolved beyond genre encapsulation at this point.

METALMILITIA

Comment

my favs are Immortal, Borknagar (awesome), Dimmu

it depends what you want...synth stuff or necro?

I like more synth stuff but the necro stuff rules just as much
            Ulver changes quite a bit to from album to album..the later stuff is more for the fanboy Garm types

Immortals 'battles in the north' is sheer brilliance .. it also has a total sense of humor as well
            Member of the Super Awesome Les Paul VM Owners Club!
            Dann's the Man Gmajor thread
            Gmajor FCB Setup guide prt1
            Gmajor FCB Setup guide prt2
            Problems with Gmajors wheels? click here!

er of the -fx and the JVM

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain
              I don't give a rat's ass about cartoonish imagery or who burned down what chruch or who has more credentials. I want to hear stuff that rips with nice dynamics and good song structuring and atmosphere.

sevendust? 'bout the only, far as i can tell....

Comment

Originally posted by cavemanic
                my favs are Immortal, Borknagar (awesome), Dimmu

it depends what you want...synth stuff or necro?

I like more synth stuff but the necro stuff rules just as much
                Ulver changes quite a bit to from album to album..the later stuff is more for the fanboy Garm types

Immortals 'battles in the north' is sheer brilliance .. it also has a total sense of humor as well

I dig the synth stuff. When done tastefully it adds much atmosphere and texture. I like production geared towards the music...where it feels as though there was a musical vision or purpose or a grand scale that became realized...not just a bunch of egos scrambling for position. Does that make any sense at all?

METALMILITIA

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of black metal, so the stuff I think of as 'black metal' that I like is the stuff that's more like black metal blended with other stuff:

Borknagar
                  Ulver
                  Enslaved
                  Mork Gryning
                  Naglfar

edit: add Goatwhore to that list. they're black metal-ish and I like em.

'nother edit: oooh another one that kinda fits in that not-really-black-metal-but-black-metalish category that's really good: Dawn

I think "blackened death" is the (rather lame) category that sub-genre lumpers and labellers use for a lot of this sort of stuff

Comment

I dig the synth stuff. When done tastefully it adds much atmosphere and texture. I like production geared towards the music...where it feels as though there was a musical vision or purpose or a grand scale that became realized...not just a bunch of egos scrambling for position. Does that make any sense at all?

yep

I think you would really dig Dimmu 'enthrone darkness triumphant' ...I can't tell you how brilliant that album is ....'spiritial black dimensions' is wicked as well after those albums Dimmu kinda shifted the focus to more guitar alot more
                    I Like all the Dimmu changes but EDT would be my fave ..its a MUST have
                    The guitar borrows more from classic metal as well and has a killer production

Borknagar rules just for the vocalist alone (on the Simen albums) 'the olden domain' is garm singing and kinda folkish
                    'the archaic course' is like a prog/epic/viking metal style album ...mainly clean vocals but Simen (from dimmu/arcturus) is amazing on this album ...it has a ton of atmosphere
                    'quintesence' is more symphonic black metal ..Simen still but much more raspy vocals but mixed with clean vocals as well...its actually really cool experimentally

I don't know if you like industrial stuff to ..rammstien etc..but there band The Kovenant 'animatronic' album is killer to ...the singer used to play bass in Dimmu ...hellhammer plays drums
                    some amazing songs

alot wouldn't call the above black metal..I kinda like the stuff on the edge but progressing in some other way ....Immortal 'Battles in the North' or 'Pure holocaust' Demonaz (along with his 'demonaxe' ) has some really cool minor riffing all picked full speed ...he actually blew out his arms with tendonitis and left the band
                    Member of the Super Awesome Les Paul VM Owners Club!
                    Dann's the Man Gmajor thread
                    Gmajor FCB Setup guide prt1
                    Gmajor FCB Setup guide prt2
                    Problems with Gmajors wheels? click here!

er of the -fx and the JVM

Comment

Originally posted by yabba
                      I'm not a huge fan of black metal, so the stuff I think of as 'black metal' that I like is the stuff that's more like black metal blended with other stuff:

Borknagar
                      Ulver
                      Enslaved
                      Mork Gryning
                      Naglfar

edit: add Goatwhore to that list. they're black metal-ish and I like em.

'nother edit: oooh another one that kinda fits in that not-really-black-metal-but-black-metalish category that's really good: Dawn

I think "blackened death" is the (rather lame) category that sub-genre lumpers and labellers use for a lot of this sort of stuff

I was listening to Enslaved last night.

Barathrum use to give me hell for listening to black metal...or metal in general since I'm a Christian. What a tool.

METALMILITIA

Comment

It is a supreme.

Is she not beautiful?

*splooge*

Though i'd probably prefer this one overall, i'd definitely prefer the Bich for metal. *head bangs furiously*

Bootiful.
                        There is nothing written here.
                        Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
                        HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

I LOOOOOVE eagles. I want one of those too!

METALMILITIA

Comment

I'm going to assume that you've already heard Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane and The Somberlain. No keyboards, and a lot of songs could fall into the melodic death metal category, but if you haven't already heard them, you should.

Although I can't comment on them in terms of style, I had a roommate several years ago who was into black metal, and I know that he really liked Dawn, Centinex and Lord Belial.
                            Originally Posted by Captain_howdy

^^ this guy just said "lard tsunami".

UNDER EDEN: The Science of Self-Defeat at CD Baby - / - Facebook - / - Official Website - / - My Blog: Extreme Metal Musician

Member of the Jackson/Charvel Army
                            ----------------------------------
                            Jackson Guitars - ART Preamps & EQs - Peavey & Carvin Amps - Rocktron, Tech 21 NYC & EHX Effects

Comment

Dissection are excellent.

I'm not into Black Metal that much but I like a few bands, here's a few that havern't been mentioned yet...

Carpathian Forest
                              Grand Belial's Keys - Fantastic Website!
                              Satyricon - They seem to be frowned upon but they're alright
                              Thorns - Really good band
                              [ hisnamewas... ][ myspace ] [ question?answer! ]

Comment

Originally posted by SmallDave
                                Dissection are excellent.

I'm not into Black Metal that much but I like a few bands, here's a few that havern't been mentioned yet...

Carpathian Forest
                                Grand Belial's Keys - Fantastic Website!
                                Satyricon - They seem to be frowned upon but they're alright
                                Thorns - Really good band

I've not heard of the first two. I have heard of the second two, but are not familiar with the music.

METALMILITIA

Comment

Working...
                                X