Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queensryche's "Take Hold of the Flame"- How do you play the intro- PLEASE help! :)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam
    I saw them at The House of Blues Chicago last Saturday.

They are an amazing band...The only thing I didn't like was there second set (Operation Mind Crime) Too theatrical, not my cup of tea... "they are to good a band for that ****************"

Dude, Mindcrime *is* the ****************! What a ****************ing great record.....
    Originally posted by lastcall
    Listen you tree hugging hippi. Next time a real rocker tries to sell you some gear to help you shred better you had best say, "thank you sir but we're not talented enough to shred". Then as a show of respect you should ask to see his favorite Ibanez, or ask to touch his mullet for luck. Then maybe, just maybe he'll teach you some of his shredding secrets, and you'll be on your way to being real rock stars.

Comment

One thing I did notice was that there guitar tone was very "Judas Priest sounding"...I wonder if there is some influence.

Early QR/The Mob was heavily influenced by Priest, UFO, Scorps, etc. I think that was more DeGarmo's bag than Wilton's, though.
      Guitars:
      Charvel So Cal, Jackson DK2M, Carvin DC-127, Gibson '76 RI Explorer, Gibson Gothic Flying V,
      Edwards Sykes LP, Fender Road Worn ‘60s Strat

Amps:
      Marshall TSL 100 & 1960A 4x12, Genz Benz G-Flex 212

Comment

I saw them at The House of Blues Chicago last Saturday.

They are an amazing band...The only thing I didn't like was there second set (Operation Mind Crime) Too theatrical, not my cup of tea... "they are to good a band for that ****************"

One thing I did notice was that there guitar tone was very "Judas Priest sounding"...I wonder if there is some influence.

I'm going to see them tonight!! I can't wait!! Mindcrime with theatrics sounds AWESOME!
        Originally Posted by hammergjh

I will appoint you my official "get me some pussy" gopher.

Comment

Originally posted by costalot

I'm going to see them tonight!! I can't wait!! Mindcrime with theatrics sounds AWESOME!

kewl...I am going to see them on Sat. night!
          spam:
          GFS Classic Alnico Tele neck pickup - $15
          GFC Classic Alnico 62 Tele bridge pickup - $15
          Trade offers welcome

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarxide

Dude, Mindcrime *is* the ****************! What a ****************ing great record.....

Indeed. It's THE concept album.
            Anyone seen Dano?

Comment

Way to go aliensporebomb, it's great to see some people here helping each other out.
              Straight-Jacket memories, and Sedative highs... the Good Old Days.

Comment

Originally posted by JetCityMatt

Wow! Thanks for making that recording for me- that was really nice of you to go to all that effort!

(stuff deleted)

What was really throwing me is the part at 04 and at :22 (etc.) right when Geoff says, "find" (we see the line of those who _find the world has passed them by)- because Chiris is running his finger up to the 4th and 5th fret on the treble strings and I just couldn't figure out how you could be fretting way up there and be sounding the chords/notes that MICHAEL is actually playing!

For some reason I couldn't figure it out until after I posted this thread!

Actually, Aliensporebomb, I think something you said in your lesson got me thinking in the right direction so that I could realize that what Chris is doing. At 4 and :22 listen for the second guitar- he is doing voiceleading on the G string ... he goes from the 2nd fret up to the 4th and then 5th and right back down. Decorating on top of the chords Michael is playing.

I didn't really notice those notes happening among Michael's chords, partially because I am always playing guitar when I'm listening- and those notes are kind of subtle.

And Chris is the one sliding around on the 5th and 6th strings also.

Thanks again! I REALLY Appreciate your help!!!

Now I need to listen to your lesson again to figure out how to play this on one guitar!

No problem! Enjoy!

To me it sounded like that part where I was
                playing the d string where the descending
                arpeggio is he actually plays the third fret,
                then goes up a step, then back down to the
                root, then down half a step but it's basically
                the same.

Comment

Originally posted by aliensporebomb

No problem! Enjoy!

To me it sounded like that part where I was
                  playing the d string where the descending
                  arpeggio is he actually plays the third fret,
                  then goes up a step, then back down to the
                  root, then down half a step but it's basically
                  the same.

I would still be clueless about what Chris was doing there if I didn't have the video! That's the only reason I could figure it out at all- that is, once I figured out that Michael was playing what I thought I was watching Chris play!

I saw the first show of this current tour on October 5. It was just awesome. Geoff's voice was just ON. They opened with "The Whisper" which he did not sing way up high, but everything else they did he sang stronger and higher than he did at the live evolution concert (and DVD/CD) in '99. For example he sang that really high note at the begining on "Take Hold..." which he did not a few years ago.
                  Although there were just a few parts on Mindcrime where Pamela sang Geoff's high parts.

The person I know who makes me QR bootlegs said that Geoff has been working out and getting in shape and that he has lost a lot of weight. Clearly, being in shape really helps when you are trying to sing high up.

I've got a bootleg of a show in Texas from this tour and his voice is shot compared to the first night. Hopefully it was just an off night... hopefully he hadn't worn it out for the rest of the show.

You guys who saw the show- was he hitting all the high notes or was his voice worn out?

theManfromAlabam, Mindcrime cannot be considered too theatrical for Queensryche!
                  Mindcrime cannot be "too ANYTHING" for Queensryche! Mindcrime IS Queesnryche!!!

I'm one of those who got into the band with Empire, but I realize that Mindcrime IS Queensryche.

It is so theatrical because that is exactly how they wanted it to be- a concept album with a story.
                  I don't intend to be rude sounding... In case you were not previously familiar with Mindcrime, it IS Queensryche!

off to work.....
                  DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

Comment

Let me see if I can help.

I made a quick video clip:

http://members.cox.net/geekdom/takeholdsmall.wmv

Comment

Working...
                    X