Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Queensryche's "Take Hold of the Flame"- How do you play the intro- PLEASE help! :)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensryche's "Take Hold of the Flame"- How do you play the intro- PLEASE help! :)

I am absolutely desperate to learn this correctly and all TABs online are wrong. This is the only thing I cannot play by Queensryche, my favorite band.

I don't know if any of the QR fans here will see this or know the answer, but how do you play the clean intro to "Take Hold of the Flame"?

It SOUNDS like arrpeggios over Am, Asus4, Am and then over F and then G E-shaped (5th string root) chords, but on the "Building Empires" live video (at 1:13) it is clear that most of the strings are unfretted, ringing open while he is moving around playing various notes on one ot two or (three) strings among those open strings. This type of stuff with the open strings is exactly the stuff I really have trouble figuring out.

I just can't figure it out!

I wouldn't have posted this OT if I hadn't exhausted all other sources/possibilities.

thanks for putting up with this!

DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

You can play everything else from Queensr
    Anyone seen Dano?

Comment

This is just off the cuff as I don't have the video (but looking forward to seeing them tomorrow night) but is he/they using different guitars than the rest of the show? Could these have a different tuning that would be more conducive to using open strings? Just a thought....you may hear the right notes but the fingerings look all wrong because they're using a different tuning.
      Originally Posted by hammergjh

I will appoint you my official "get me some ********************" gopher.

Comment

Remember too that videos are deceptive. I'm
        listening to that song to figure out the parts.
        1 sec. With a two guitar band too there could
        be complementary but different chords going
        on.

Comment

I figured it out - mp3 forthcoming.

Comment

Great ****************ing song!
            My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

http://pod.ath.cx/qr.mp3

You'll hear me describe what I think I'm
              hearing and a rough approximation of the
              progression (based on listening to the tune
              for the first time basically).

There are spots in the tune where a second
              guitar at one point plays a harmonic, then it
              plays a descending bass line on the low E
              string as the other guitar is playing the main
              chordal part.

If you have a bass player, second guitarist or
              keyboardist they can help play those other parts
              to get it more authentic to the original recording.

Comment

Originally posted by aliensporebomb
                http://pod.ath.cx/qr.mp3

You'll hear me describe what I think I'm
                hearing and a rough approximation of the
                progression (based on listening to the tune
                for the first time basically).

There are spots in the tune where a second
                guitar at one point plays a harmonic, then it
                plays a descending bass line on the low E
                string as the other guitar is playing the main
                chordal part.

If you have a bass player, second guitarist or
                keyboardist they can help play those other parts
                to get it more authentic to the original recording.
                Sounds pretty close. Good advice on the tone.

-wp
                Originally posted by WulfmanJax:
                ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

http://www.myspace.com/wespowell1

Download the tunes

Comment

There's definetely action on the low E string
                  while the descending chords from the previous
                  phrase are the same.

So I wonder if one of them is playing the open
                  strings and the other guitarist is playing the
                  bass notes on the low E.

You'd need hands like Allan Holdsworth's to
                  play it on a single guitar with one person.

Comment

Originally posted by aliensporebomb
                    There's definetely action on the low E string
                    while the descending chords from the previous
                    phrase are the same.

So I wonder if one of them is playing the open
                    strings and the other guitarist is playing the
                    bass notes on the low E.

You'd need hands like Allan Holdsworth's to
                    play it on a single guitar with one person.

Wow! Thanks for making that recording for me- that was really nice of you to go to all that effort!

I've been looking at the video again with guitar in hand... and I've figured out why it is so confusing!

They are only showing Chris playing, but what you hear mostly is what Michael is playing- the Am, A4, Am, F, G thing!

That is why I couldn't put together what Chris was doing with what you hear.
                    What was really throwing me is the part at 04 and at :22 (etc.) right when Geoff says, "find" (we see the line of those who _find the world has passed them by)- because Chiris is running his finger up to the 4th and 5th fret on the treble strings and I just couldn't figure out how you could be fretting way up there and be sounding the chords/notes that MICHAEL is actually playing!

For some reason I couldn't figure it out until after I posted this thread!
                    Actually, Aliensporebomb, I think something you said in your lesson got me thinking in the right direction so that I could realize that what Chris is doing. At 4 and :22 listen for the second guitar- he is doing voiceleading on the G string ... he goes from the 2nd fret up to the 4th and then 5th and right back down. Decorating on top of the chords Michael is playing.

I didn't really notice those notes happening among Michael's chords, partially because I am always playing guitar when I'm listening- and those notes are kind of subtle.

And Chris is the one sliding around on the 5th and 6th strings also.

Thanks again! I REALLY Appreciate your help!!!

Now I need to listen to your lesson again to figure out how to play this on one guitar!
                    DR Strings > '97 Mexi Strat: USACG neck & Super Vee Blade Runner > Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom, Fender Original '57/'62 > Barber Direct Drive > Soldano Astroverb > WGS RETRO 30 (replaced Vintage 30) in Avatar 2x12. DD-5 Delay, Chorus. Fender Blues Junior III (BillMAudio mods in the mail)

Comment

Originally posted by micwalt
                      Great ****************ing song!

Yeah! It doesn't get any better than Chris Degarmo! (Although Michael Wilton, Alex Lifeson, David Gilmour and Neal Schon are just as good- or close! )

I finally get to see Chris live!!!!
                      At this show! http://www.965krock.com/

One of my friend's friends accidentally bought me a ticket even though I bought one too- so I have one extra if you want to fly out (as long as she hasn't gotten rid of it yet)- we just bouhgt them this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustie81
                        You can play everything else from Queensr

Comment

That is impressive dedication.

I've never liked to learn solos note for note. I've learned some but even then I like to add my own licks to it. But good for you. You've probably developed as a musician learning all that stuff. I'm a big fan of Queensr
                          Anyone seen Dano?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustie81
                            That is impressive dedication.

I've never liked to learn solos note for note. I've learned some but even then I like to add my own licks to it. But good for you. You've probably developed as a musician learning all that stuff. I'm a big fan of Queensr

Comment

I saw them at The House of Blues Chicago last Saturday.

They are an amazing band...The only thing I didn't like was there second set (Operation Mind Crime) Too theatrical, not my cup of tea... "they are to good a band for that ****************"

One thing I did notice was that there guitar tone was very "Judas Priest sounding"...I wonder if there is some influence.
                              Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
                              1st generation Irish

Comment

• Working...
                                X