No announcement yet.

Favourite Van Halen

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Junkhead

overall the one that starts off with the keyboards...

its goes something like

"i got you captured under my spell" something about magazine also

"I'll Wait."
    America, heck yeah!

www.purevolume.com/deadlyaces

Comment

mean street
      somebody get me a doctor
      outta love again
      drop dead legs
      unchained

Comment

Ain't Talkin About Love; Little Dreamer; Jamie's Cryin in that order.

Comment

On Fire
          Outta Love Agin
          Everything on Fair Warning
          The Full Bug
          "...And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, that’s horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, it’s nothing. It’s just bibble-babble. It’s like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks."
          Harlan Ellison

videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/bellababe9
          music: http://www.myspace.com/jimslashk/mus...filter=popular

Comment

Hmmm too many.

Pre-"Van Halen" there's a ton of available songs, the best ones were put on a demo by Ted Templeman. ex. "Light in the Sky," (not "Up"), Big Trouble (best one, was supposedly redone then scrapped for DD and 1984), Get the Show on the Road, Babe Don't Leave me Alone, I Wanna Be Your Lover, etc.

However, note, most of that stuff was left off of VH1 because it was inferior to the stuff that came later. Even the songs that eventually made it onto other Van Halen albums, for example, "Voodoo Queen" became "Mean Street," and "House of Pain" went on 1984, SGMAD on II, and "Bring on the Girls" became "Beautiful Girls," had to be reworked significantly to get on the legit albums. If you wanna hear those, I know lots of places to get them. I'll post the link if anyone actually cares to hear the demos (both the Simmons mid 70s and Templeman '77 Demos).

But anywhoo, back to the topic, I'll go by album because one song is too hard:

Pre-VH: Big Trouble
            VH: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
            VHII: Light Up the Sky/Dance the Night Away
            WACF: Romeo Delight! (Though "In a Simple Rhyme" is fantastically crafted song )
            FW: Unchained
            Diver Down: Little Guitars
            1984: Panama
            5150: "5150"
            OU812: "Finish What Ya Started"
            ****************: "Poundcake"
            Balance: "The Seventh Seal(!)" ~great song, underrated
            VHIII: Fire in the Hole, although I dislike the whole album's vocals in general. ~yes I have this album, even though I don't like it, flame away
            Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Sunday afternoon in the park (minimoog thing)

House of Pain

Mean Streets

Comment

'Eruption', because Eddie showed us that almost anything is possible on guitar. This song proves he is a genius.

'Little dreamer', because it has a great melody, tone, and a good lead guitar solo.

'I'll wait', because he plays a lot of keyboards and it's heavy sounding. And then towards the end he starts playing a great guitar solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Grimace

Hmmm too many.

Pre-"Van Halen" there's a ton of available songs, the best ones were put on a demo by Ted Templeman. ex. "Light in the Sky," (not "Up"), Big Trouble (best one, was supposedly redone then scrapped for DD and 1984), Get the Show on the Road, Babe Don't Leave me Alone, I Wanna Be Your Lover, etc.

However, note, most of that stuff was left off of VH1 because it was inferior to the stuff that came later. Even the songs that eventually made it onto other Van Halen albums, for example, "Voodoo Queen" became "Mean Street," and "House of Pain" went on 1984, SGMAD on II, and "Bring on the Girls" became "Beautiful Girls," had to be reworked significantly to get on the legit albums. If you wanna hear those, I know lots of places to get them. I'll post the link if anyone actually cares to hear the demos (both the Simmons mid 70s and Templeman '77 Demos).

But anywhoo, back to the topic, I'll go by album because one song is too hard:

Pre-VH: Big Trouble
                  VH: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
                  VHII: Light Up the Sky/Dance the Night Away
                  WACF: Romeo Delight! (Though "In a Simple Rhyme" is fantastically crafted song )
                  FW: Unchained
                  Diver Down: Little Guitars
                  1984: Panama
                  5150: "5150"
                  OU812: "Finish What Ya Started"
                  ****************: "Poundcake"
                  Balance: "The Seventh Seal(!)" ~great song, underrated
                  VHIII: Fire in the Hole, although I dislike the whole album's vocals in general. ~yes I have this album, even though I don't like it, flame away

Pretty good choice of songs.

I would appreciate it if you could post the link to the demo's you mentioned. Sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Noodles
                    Runnin with the Devil
                    Little Dreamer
                    DOA
                    Spanish Fly
                    Somebody Get me a Doctor
                    Outta Love Again
                    Women In Love
                    Take Your Whisky Home
                    Unchained
                    Mean Streets
                    Hear About it Later
                    Secrets
                    Little Guitars
                    Panama
                    Top Jimmy
                    Hot For Teacher
                    Girl Gone Bad
                    House of Pain

Good luck to anyone who can come up with a better list than that

Add Romeo's Delight and The Full Bug and you've got the Roth years covered pretty well.

With Sammy, I like Best of Both Worlds, 5150, Black and Blue, Cabo Wabo, Poundcake, Runaround, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Humans Being, and various others.

Cherone has a couple that I can manage to listen to including From Afar and Without You.
                    Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned -

THE ATOMIC PUNK!

Comment

Originally posted by exit sandman
                        Favourite Van Halen

errrrrrrrm.....Eddie.

No, wait!

His brother (Alex?), with their cousin Joe coming a close second.

Grandma Van Halen is pretty cool for an old gal.
                        Executive Administrator Of The Dick Long Association Of World Class Achievement Forumites Society

Comment

Originally posted by iron chicken

Pretty good choice of songs.

I would appreciate it if you could post the link to the demo's you mentioned. Sounds interesting.

There's a couple of places you can get them. As much as I hate that site, and you have to sign up for their gay message boards, This site has the complete version of the "After Zero" demos done by Ted Templeman, as well as the complete Gene Simmons demos. www.classicvanhalen.com has a couple of the Simmons demos.
                          Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Originally posted by exit sandman
                            At the moment, my favourite Van Halen song is Ain't Talkin Bout Love. It's got the awesome riff, an emotional solo.... the works.

Eddie is the man!

Tell me what your favourite is and why (riff, singing whatever) and maybe I'll discover another gem.

Mean Street

Judgement Day

Tie.
                            http://www.myspace.com/davemcrae

Comment

Even thouogh it is mostly keyboards, I think I 'll Wait from 1984 is probably their best song, but my favorite is Dance the Night Away.

Comment

I'm incapable of choosing songs cause I love all of them.

You guys can get all the unreleased, pre '78 tunes you want from:

dlrarmy.com

Just sign up and you can download anything you want. There's the demo they did with Gene Simmons. The demo they did with Ted Templeman. Tonnes of live shows from both pre '78 and post '78. Focuses on the DLR years.
                                My Stuff

With old band Idle Minds
                                Crazy Dans Close Enough Evilness Power Soak

Acoustic
                                Santoria Spanish Inquisition Mountain Song

Just Wierd
                                Warped

Comment

Working...
                                X