Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_majooka
    The black album, and any other metallica album, seems like a few good songs and some fillers, not an album.
    d)

I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

Heaven forbid he have an opinion.

Comment

You can listen back to appetite and enjoy it now from start to finish, listening to the whole thing.

The black album, and any other metallica album, seems like a few good songs and some fillers, not an album.

GnR did a lot more for music than metallica, and made a similar size of impact on me as Led Zeppelin when i first heard them. And that can't be a bad thing...

And yeh, Slash > (both of metallica guitarists combined)

Actually, GRN did not have near the impact on today's music as Metallica, regardless of who's better. Much of modern metal can be directly linked to old Metallica. They helped pioneer thrash metal. A lot of nu metal can be linked to Metallica as well. And by the way, the Black Album had 5 hit singles, and other good songs.
        Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer
        its a slippery slope man. first Eb, then D. next thing you know you'll be tuning to C standard and playing guitars with DiMarzio Dropsonic pups in them. then comes the facemasks. its a gateway drug man, don't do it.

Comment

GnR did a lot more for music than metallica,
          I call bull****************.

Comment

Metallica employed more dynamics and epic songwriting. Metallica raised the bar for metal songwriting and made it suddenly fasionable to write a song longer than three minutes and to abandon the tired intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-end format.

I strongly disagree.

You have heard Coma, Estranged & November Rain ? All Metallica has to really compare to any of them is One but being a bigger fan of GNR than Metallica I'd have to pick any GNR over One.

GNR could of possibly been the biggest band on the planet had they not self distruct IMO.

I think the next thing will be (if it ever comes out) Chinese Democracy vs St.Anger.

Last point, I'd have to say Izzy is the better rhythm player but you really can't go wrong with either.

Part of The MAZI BEE MILTIA m/ m/

Les Pauls & Marshalls = Rock !!!

Originally Posted by Chicken Monkey

I'd imagine that putting it in Denise Richards has the heroin-like effect of making you realize the rest of your life isn't worth living. Maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Forbidden

I strongly disagree.

You have heard Coma, Estranged & November Rain ?

ummmm dude...

Metallica preceeded those songs by almost ten years.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

ummmm dude...

Metallica preceeded those songs by almost ten years.

That is true. As to who is better, it's pretty subjective, but as to who is more influential and innovative, Metallica wins by far.
                its a slippery slope man. first Eb, then D. next thing you know you'll be tuning to C standard and playing guitars with DiMarzio Dropsonic pups in them. then comes the facemasks. its a gateway drug man, don't do it.

Comment

I really don't like Metallica's image at all. They just strike me as angry idiots.

GNR may be crazy, and I wouldn't wanna hang out with Axl, either, but I dunno...they're not so angry...

I'm not with the angry music.

I'm voting GNR...pretty easy for me...I have AFD and it has a lotta real good songs on there...

Metallica...I don't know too much of their stuff..."Until It Sleeps" was a sweet song..."St. Anger" is not a bad song...uhm...I think I heard "Master of Puppets" once and it seemed like a real good song, actually, but I can't remember. Oh well. All the roaring and the inability to express more than one emotion in their music turns me off of Metallica (I don't really listen to modern metal).
                  Code:
                  LSD
                  u k i
                  c y a
                  y m
                  o s
                  n d

Comment

Originally posted by LedMunkee
                    (I don't really listen to modern metal).

no kidding

May I suggest...

METALMILITIA

Comment

You want to count hit singles?

Ok, here goes:

- Welcome to the Jungle
                      - Sweet Child O' Mine
                      - Paradise City
                      - Mr. Brownstone (I don't think it was realeased as a single but became one of their most famous songs. The local rock stations in my area still play it all the time)
                      - It's So Easy (same deal, but less so)
                      - Patience
                      - You could be mine
                      - Don't Cry
                      - November Rain
                      - Estranged
                      - Yesterdays
                      - Civil War (another song that I don't think was released as a single, but became really popular)
                      - Knockin' on Heavens Door
                      - Live and Let Die
                      - Dead Horse
                      - The Garden
                      - Garden of Eden (and IMO one of the best rock videos EVER)
                      - If I don't have you
                      - Sympathy for the Devil

All these from only 5 CDs. Not bad at all if you ask me.

And in terms of millions CDs sold, Appetite goes platinum almost every year. The only Metallica album that competes is the Black album, both with like 20 million sold. I think The Use your Illusions both sold like 8 million, and I think Lies even went like 6 million.

Remember, that before ...And Justice for All, I think Metallica had sold a total of 400,000 CDs. Not bad, considering no radio support, but still. C'mon!

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyTrash
                        You want to count hit singles?

Ok, here goes:

- Welcome to the Jungle
                        - Sweet Child O' Mine
                        - Paradise City
                        - Mr. Brownstone (I don't think it was realeased as a single but became one of their most famous songs. The local rock stations in my area still play it all the time)
                        - It's So Easy (same deal, but less so)
                        - Patience
                        - You could be mine
                        - Don't Cry
                        - November Rain
                        - Estranged
                        - Yesterdays
                        - Civil War (another song that I don't think was released as a single, but became really popular)
                        - Knockin' on Heavens Door
                        - Live and Let Die
                        - Dead Horse
                        - The Garden
                        - Garden of Eden (and IMO one of the best rock videos EVER)
                        - If I don't have you
                        - Sympathy for the Devil

All these from only 5 CDs. Not bad at all if you ask me.

And in terms of millions CDs sold, Appetite goes platinum almost every year. The only Metallica album that competes is the Black album, both with like 20 million sold. I think The Use your Illusions both sold like 8 million, and I think Lies even went like 6 million.

Remember, that before ...And Justice for All, I think Metallica had sold a total of 400,000 CDs. Not bad, considering no radio support, but still. C'mon!
                        I don't think anyone but a die-hard G 'n R fan would recognise at least a quarter of those tunes you quoted as 'hit singles'. Your last sentence also seems to make no sense whatsoever. And as for album sales -

http://www.riaa.com/gp/bestsellers/topartists.asp

There you go. Among Metallica's multi-platinums are a few live records and Garage Inc., which says something about their popularity.

Comment

That hit singles thing is a dumb arguement. Britney Spears has a lot of hit singles. And it could also be argued that Metallica has sold like 90 million records.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherinian gonnabe
                            Listen, you worthless ****************stick. I didn't say anything remotely offensive to you, and I don't appreciate being insulted by some dickwad Guns 'n Roses fan, even if it's on the internet. If you want to resort to this kaka-poopie level of name-calling, I'm really not interested in trying to have any sort of meaningful discussion with you. If you believe so strongly/blindly that Axl and Co. top Metallica in EVERY sense imaginable (love the 'Lars Ulrich is an ****************************' validation, by the way), try to express it in a less abrasive way.

Lars Ulrich is an **************************** along with the rest of the band because they put record sales and money in front of fans as top priority.

And I made that comment about Metallica outselling GnR because they released a ****************load more albums, so of course their album sales are better, maybe it's just the way you worded it in your original post, but it sounded silly. I can't quote numbers here, but I'd be stunned if any Metallica album outsold Appetite for Destruction. I don't make calls I can't back up, and if I do, call me on it and I'll take it back or amend my comment.

Comment

XT Brotherhood

Comment

ummmm dude...

Metallica preceeded those songs by almost ten years. I'm talking songwriting quality. I have a hard time listening to Master of Puppets era Metallica because it's just mindless speedmetal, blasting thru a song as fast as they can, sometimes it seems like they just want to see how fast they could play and how quickly they could get it overwith.

So Metallica started sooner...does that mean they're naturally better because of that?

Comment

Working...
                                X