Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEAVYMETAL
    METALLICA is a better band..............

Good call, now back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by rockon1202

Good call, now back it up.
      Album sales - almost 3 times as much as Guns' n Roses.

Influence - Greater

Playing ability - Better drummer, rhythm player and about-equal bassist. KH could probably play all of Slash's parts, but he's not as inventive.

Live act - No ****************ing contest; Metallica are one of the all-time live greats. Incredible energy and TIGHT.

Vocals - Please. Axl's voice makes me want to kill kittens.

Songwriting - Considering their limited material, Guns 'n Roses have had as many clunkers as Metallica, if not more (I'd say more).

Comment

Originally posted by Sherinian gonnabe
        Album sales - almost 3 times as much as Guns' n Roses.

Influence - Greater

Playing ability - Better drummer, rhythm player and about-equal bassist. KH could probably play all of Slash's parts, but he's not as inventive.

Live act - No ****************ing contest; Metallica are one of the all-time live greats. Incredible energy and TIGHT.

Vocals - Please. Axl's voice makes me want to kill kittens.

Songwriting - Considering their limited material, Guns 'n Roses have had as many clunkers as Metallica, if not more (I'd say more).

OK, now how many albums did Metallica release compared to GnR? Wow, maybe that's got something to do with the fact that they've sold more, dip****************.

Influence - Debatable

Playing ability - Just cuz KH can play Slash's **************** doesn't mean KH can write it. I don't care if he can play it, hell I can play some of Slash's **************** (and I suck) the point is that he's not as inventive or innovative. He doesn't have the same chops.

Live act - Debatable

Vocals - As I said earlier, JH is just capable of growling and throwing in a "aaaah" at the end of each phrase. Take "Fuel" where he growls out a "ooooh yeeahhaaaah"

Songwriting - More clunkers to Metallica. They've had entire albums that were clunkers, take their most recent effort for example. Yes, they've put out more albums, so they're gonna have more clunkers, but their clunkers are pretty bad

Lars Ulrich is an ****************************. Yes, GnR showed their ass side with the riots they caused by not playing or walking off. Metallica showed theirs by being more concerned about profits than their fanbase. I'll take GnR anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by rockon1202

OK, now how many albums did Metallica release compared to GnR? Wow, maybe that's got something to do with the fact that they've sold more, dip****************.

Listen, you worthless ****************stick. I didn't say anything remotely offensive to you, and I don't appreciate being insulted by some dickwad Guns 'n Roses fan, even if it's on the internet. If you want to resort to this kaka-poopie level of name-calling, I'm really not interested in trying to have any sort of meaningful discussion with you. If you believe so strongly/blindly that Axl and Co. top Metallica in EVERY sense imaginable (love the 'Lars Ulrich is an ****************************' validation, by the way), try to express it in a less abrasive way.

Comment

This is a close call. Both are really good at what they do. But let's face, Metallica at least had 5 great albums in their style, and GNR had 1, and a few songs here and there from UYIs. GNR showed promised, but they went crap after AFD for the most part. Plus Axl can't keep his **************** together, and Metallica is still selling out arenas (regardless of how crappy St Anger was, they still put on a good show)
            Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer
            its a slippery slope man. first Eb, then D. next thing you know you'll be tuning to C standard and playing guitars with DiMarzio Dropsonic pups in them. then comes the facemasks. its a gateway drug man, don't do it.

Comment

GnR just took the lead!!

Comment

Originally posted by exit sandman
                GnR just took the lead!!

Because they're better.

And yes, I'm KIDDING. I prefer GnR but there obviously isn't a definitive 'better.' so don't quote me and get angry, mmmk?

And to those who started the "there's more to music than soloing"- I realize. I still think November Rain probably beats any song Metallica ever did.

Comment

Metallica (strictly speaking of pre Black album) was a better band...better songwriting from a compositional standpoint...more riff oriented...drew from a broader range of influences. Metallica introduced many to bands they'd never heard of before like Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg, Misfits, Budgie, and Killing Joke. Metallica employed more dynamics and epic songwriting. Metallica raised the bar for metal songwriting and made it suddenly fasionable to write a song longer than three minutes and to abandon the tired intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-end format.

Guns & Roses was a great band too, but to be fair, only AFD can stand against Metallica's first four major releases on equal footing.

I love Slash and sure he's got more tone, style, ideas, and grace than Hammet, but let's face it, when you talk metal guitar, Hetfield stands above either.

Rock is about riffs and rhythm, not leads.

IMO Guns never really recovered from the loss of Izzy.

Shoot, this makes it seem like I'm pissing on GNR and I don't want to do that. I love them, but they really did not sustain the flame that long. Metallica's history of first rate live performances cannot be competed with by GNR...to many tantrums from Axl, even to the point of no-shows. That's selfish and unforgivable.
                  I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by exit sandman
                    GnR just took the lead!!

I'm sure there are people in the world that think Aerosmith is/was better than Black Sabbath too.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

I'm sure there are people in the world that think Aerosmith is/was better than Black Sabbath too.

If it wasn't for Alicia Silverstone, Aerosmith would have ceased to exist around 1993.
                      My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

If it wasn't for Alicia Silverstone, Aerosmith would have ceased to exist around 1993.

Damn her.

METALMILITIA

Comment

Damn her.

I would ordinarily agree, but if it wasn't for Aerosmith, we wouldn't have had Alicia Silverstone to enjoy in such classic films as 'The Crush'.
                          My guitar books (and website) are currently unavailable. Please listen to some MUZAK while you wait.

If you don't *yet* own a metronome:www.metronomeonline.com

Comment

I love Slash and sure he's got more tone, style, ideas, and grace than Hammet, but let's face it, when you talk metal guitar, Hetfield stands above either.

Who said we were talking about metal guitar? I don't really consider GnR metal, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

You can listen back to appetite and enjoy it now from start to finish, listening to the whole thing.

The black album, and any other metallica album, seems like a few good songs and some fillers, not an album.

GnR did a lot more for music than metallica, and made a similar size of impact on me as Led Zeppelin when i first heard them. And that can't be a bad thing...

And yeh, Slash > (both of metallica guitarists combined)
                              www.silverdivision.co.uk

"Maybe some day, You're gonna find your way...."

Gibson Les Paul Standard --> Boss GT6 --> Marshall AVT150 Half-Stack

MP3's of the recent E.P. Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMalcolm

Who said we were talking about metal guitar? I don't really consider GnR metal, but maybe that's just me.

No GNR is more hard rock...I agree.

METALMILITIA

Comment

Working...
                                X