Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sherinian gonnabe
    If you read carefully, you'll see I was referring to the INTROS of those songs.

Yeah I got that,and there're 12 notes on the low E string.

One time I was talking to a guy from a well established Missouri band about jamming with them and we got to talking about Metallica somehow.He said "I don't like all that duhduhduhduh stuff"and I was thinking,"oh you don't like 16nth notes?"

Is this what some of you are trying to say with the E string chug thing?
    "Be like the sun at midday".

Comment

My dear Wulf. See: sarcasm. Have you heard those songs?
      No, I've never heard those Metallica songs....
      There is nothing written here.
      Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
      HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

• GNR.

Metallica is one of the greatest bands ever, but nothing gets me rocking out harder than the nasty, savage blues-based rock riffage that GNR was so good at.

Plus, Slash has never hit a wrong note in his entire life (well not while recording anyways.. I'm pretty sure he's hit tons of them in the drunken stupor he spent most of his time in )
        Originally Posted by Triphammered

Whatever.....I'd hit that so hard that whoever pulled me out would be the next king of england!

Comment

• Originally posted by bongfodder

Yeah I got that,and there're 12 notes on the low E string.

One time I was talking to a guy from a well established Missouri band about jamming with them and we got to talking about Metallica somehow.He said "I don't like all that duhduhduhduh stuff"and I was thinking,"oh you don't like 16nth notes?"

Is this what some of you are trying to say with the E string chug thing?
          I think you and Wulfman may be slightly confused because I was being sarcastic in a couple of my posts; I'm firmly on Metallica's side, and think dismissing their songs as a bunch of 'low E string chug-chugs' like some of the GJ rocket scientists are doing here is the rough equivalent of writing off Bob Dylan as 'a dude who strums some folk guitar'. It's what they do, and they do it damn well (or at least did with a lot of variation and originality for around 10 years).

Comment

I think you and Wulfman may be slightly confused because I was being sarcastic in a couple of my posts; I'm firmly on Metallica's side, and think dismissing their songs as a bunch of 'low E string chug-chugs' like some of the GJ rocket scientists are doing here is the rough equivalent of writing off Bob Dylan as 'a dude who strums some folk guitar'. It's what they do, and they do it damn well (or at least did with a lot of variation and originality for around 10 years).

No not you,but reading back through I can see how you might come up with that.

In this case I quoted you because I was agreeing with you in my own words.

It's funny,when you ask these Metalibashers for specifics they have nothing to say.
            "Be like the sun at midday".

Comment

Yeah, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm, but I could understand how some people could think that about Metallica.
              There is nothing written here.
              Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
              HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

• gnr

i really like early metallica though

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWickydOrange

There are more to bands than lead guitarist. Hetfield > everyone in GnR combined.

+10,000 to this.
                  Gibson 1997 LP Custom Iron Cross
                  Marshall '77 JMP 2204
                  Diezel VH4
                  Egnater M4
                  Randall RT2/50 Power amp
                  Marshall 1960 AHW Cab
                  Deizel FL 2x12
                  TC G Major
                  ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
                  Line 6 X2 Rack

Comment

• Originally posted by Ultrahighgain
                    Metallica (strictly speaking of pre Black album) was a better band...better songwriting from a compositional standpoint...more riff oriented...drew from a broader range of influences. Metallica introduced many to bands they'd never heard of before like Diamond Head, Blitzkrieg, Misfits, Budgie, and Killing Joke. Metallica employed more dynamics and epic songwriting. Metallica raised the bar for metal songwriting and made it suddenly fasionable to write a song longer than three minutes and to abandon the tired intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-end format.

Guns & Roses was a great band too, but to be fair, only AFD can stand against Metallica's first four major releases on equal footing.

I love Slash and sure he's got more tone, style, ideas, and grace than Hammet, but let's face it, when you talk metal guitar, Hetfield stands above either.

Rock is about riffs and rhythm, not leads.

IMO Guns never really recovered from the loss of Izzy.

Shoot, this makes it seem like I'm pissing on GNR and I don't want to do that. I love them, but they really did not sustain the flame that long. Metallica's history of first rate live performances cannot be competed with by GNR...to many tantrums from Axl, even to the point of no-shows. That's selfish and unforgivable.

+ 1,000,000 to this!!
                    Gibson 1997 LP Custom Iron Cross
                    Marshall '77 JMP 2204
                    Diezel VH4
                    Egnater M4
                    Randall RT2/50 Power amp
                    Marshall 1960 AHW Cab
                    Deizel FL 2x12
                    TC G Major
                    ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
                    Line 6 X2 Rack

Comment

• Originally posted by WonderMalcolm

Who said we were talking about metal guitar? I don't really consider GnR metal, but maybe that's just me.

Ok, I could just have easily said rhythm guitar.

...And to state that all Hetfield was about was palm muted "E"s is about as uninformed as stating that all Eddie could do was right handed tapping.
                      I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

• Originally posted by bongfodder

No not you,but reading back through I can see how you might come up with that.

In this case I quoted you because I was agreeing with you in my own words.

It's funny,when you ask these Metalibashers for specifics they have nothing to say.
                        Exactly. Arguments like 'Kirk is sloppy' crop up, when anyone could easily accuse Slash of being one of the worst/most unlistenable live lead guitar players in existence (I don't care what he was on at the time). I'd hazard that Kirk can play anything Slash can. The fact remains that Slash's 3 best solos are far better than Kirk's, but 'Fade To Black', the intro to 'One' and 'The Unforgiven' are pretty damn good as it stands. And KHIG simply doesn't hold water when a comparison is being made to a band with Axl Rose in it.

Comment

Exactly. Arguments like 'Kirk is sloppy' crop up, when anyone could easily accuse Slash of being one of the worst/most unlistenable live lead guitar players in existence (I don't care what he was on at the time). I'd hazard that Kirk can play anything Slash can. The fact remains that Slash's 3 best solos are far better than Kirk's, but 'Fade To Black', the intro to 'One' and 'The Unforgiven' are pretty damn good as it stands. And KHIG simply doesn't hold water when a comparison is being made to a band with Axl Rose in it.

Perfectly logical case made. Well done!
                          LOYAL BUCKETBOT
                          MEMBER OF THE MAZI BEE MILITIA
                          SUPPORTER OF THE ZAPPA MILITIA
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Gear:
                          Ibanez Artcore Semi-Hollowbody
                          Ibanez RG
                          Fender Princeton Reverb II
                          Boss MG-10 Multi-effects
                          Fruity Loops
                          Kazoo

Comment

• Originally posted by ToeJamFootball
                            i dont see why people love Hetfield that much, i find his riffs boring as hell,

whoever started on that Ride the lightning being more complex than gunners - Mustaine wrote that anyway so it doesnt count,

Gunners get my vote

ToeJam

**************** yeah. Too me metallica has some good songs but they are really one dimensional. You heard one you heard them all. Who said about them being diverse? they started the whole thrash thing, alright, cool, they did a few albums like that and then went to a more hard rock contempory song formats and did that for a while, then they went ****************house.

Guns n roses may have only been around for about 3 albums but they showed way more range in those few albums then metallica did in their many albums. Appetite was great balls to the wall ****************ing rock n roll man. Pretty straight forward stuff, to me sounds like aerosmith + sex pistols = gunners.

ok, then lies with the 4 acoustic songs, great songs, showing another side to the band. Then came the double illusion albums which everyone kinda bags but the only song i hate off that is my world. UYI has so much range in the songs. From appetite like rock to heavier stuff like locomotive and don't damn me. Has some punky stuff like shotgun blues, get in the ring, garden of eden. countryish stuff like you ain't the first, breakdown and yesterdays. Funk stuff like bad apples. stonesy stuff thanks to izzy like 14 years and dust and bones, and then don't forget the great songs/epics like don't cry, november rain, estranged and the best song on the 2 albums, Coma. Listen to the lyrics on that song alone and it goes to show what a great lyricist axl was. What the best lyrics james has come up with? Some people don't like axl's voice, fair enough, i can understand that but you have to admit that they had something for everyone if you could look past the vocals.
                            Ibanez Jem7BSB
                            Ibanez RG770
                            Yamaha RGX-TT Ty Tabor
                            Engl Screamer 50
                            Laney Chrome-O-Zone

Comment

• To me, GNR wasn't a metal band. I think they played blues rock with a punk type attitude. Losing Izzy really hurt them cause he played a very big role in the band. His Ju Jus Hounds stuff is really good (for laid back stuff). For the record, I love Appetite and Spaghetti Incedent (big punk fan). I LOATH the User Your Illusion albums - too much hype and the music itself never struck me.

As far as Metallica goes, yeah a lot of metal can be traced back to them. But when they started, they were really rehashing a lot of european bands. Nothing wrong with that - most popular english rock bands from the '60's were just rehashing stuff from the States at the time.

Who's to say who's better?
                              My Stuff

With old band Idle Minds
                              Crazy Dans Close Enough Evilness Power Soak

Acoustic
                              Santoria Spanish Inquisition Mountain Song

Just Wierd
                              Warped

Comment

• Originally posted by kirkvanhendrix

Perfectly logical case made. Well done!
                                Thank you, kind sir.