Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WulfmanJax
    And "best album" is a completely subjective subject.

Thanks, I really needed to have that pointed out for me.

Subjectivity is not a concept I've come across in 16 years as a musician, 8 years as a thespian, 2 years as a student of dramatic and filmic literature, and close to 20 years as a human being.

From now on, you have my permission to take for granted that EVERYTHING I say that is not a proven fact, IS my personal opinion.

Feel better?

That said, saying that Holdsworth's albums are equal or better to Metheny's is like saying that Nazism was a good thing... it's a matter of opinion, but it's a ridiculous opinion to hold.

But in terms of 'pure guitar playing ability', for whatever that's worth, you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamencology

That said, saying that Holdsworth's albums are equal or better to Metheny's is like saying that Nazism was a good thing... it's a matter of opinion, but it's a ridiculous opinion to hold.
      Most of what i've heard from Matheney has bored me to death. I won't argue his ability, but, from everything i've heard from his, his music is the epitome of "elevator/weather channel" jazz. Perhaps you can give me some examples where i'm dead wrong on that. It's a possibility considering how long he's been around and how much music he's put out, so i'm opened to the possibility that what i heard wasn't a summation of his entire style.

And i don't think it's a ridiculous opinion at all. Considering i dislike most jazz fusion yet love Metal Fatigue and most Holdsworth is a big "+1" for him. To me, he makes jazz with the attitude of rock and intensity of metal, which is something i've never heard a jazz guy do.

But in terms of 'pure guitar playing ability', for whatever that's worth, you're probably right.
      I would probably agree that his technical abilities eclipse his creative abilities as a composer and song-writer. Which, for me is usually a big red warning sign when it comes to guitarists. But, if you ask me his best moments are as good and amazing as almost any music i've ever heard. I think the Un-Merry Go Round is a great example of this. It's a song that puts me in such a great mood; much in the same way most Pink Floyd does. It's a mood that very few artists can set, and considering that Holdsworth is one of the few that can is another big "+1" for him.
      There is nothing written here.
      Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
      HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by WulfmanJax
        Most of what i've heard from Matheney has bored me to death.

To be blunt, you wouldn't have been bored by the content had you understood it.

I agree that the sound of the Pat Metheny Group can be generic, but the music itself is something else altogether, and comprises some of the most complex compisition in all of jazz... you'd spend exponentially more time trancribing The Way Up than you would Sixteen Men of Tain.

His playing OUTSIDE of the PMG, which I can only presume that you haven't been exposed to (since the Weather Network/smooth jazz comment doesn't apply) is something else altogether...

Look for examples in the next week or so in my Album of the Day threads.

Comment

To be blunt, you wouldn't have been bored by the content had you understood it.

That's a fair and most likely accurate assessment. I thought classical was boring for years too. I think i'll politely bow out of this discussion. I really haven't heard enough from the guitarists you've mentioned to farily compare them with Holdsworth anyway. I just thought you were a bit harsh on him.
          There is nothing written here.
          Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
          HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

...any thread with the name "Mayer" in the title, is bound to be at least 4 pages long... usualy more. Guitarists are a funny bread of know it alls.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjudah
              ...any thread with the name "Mayer" in the title, is bound to be at least 4 pages long... usualy more. Guitarists are a funny bread of know it alls.

It's spelled "breed", ya "know it all"..... And it's "usually". Just yankin' your chain a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by onewhiteduck
                John totally ripped.

John, on the other hand, sucked it up big time.

Ok, it's decided: onewhiteduck wins the thread.

I came here to find out answers to my equipment questions, not to bash any fellow guitar players.

Was that a SRV#1 JM was playing, or a Rory Gallahger?

And what was that effect JS was using? At the very beginning there was a Slow-Attack effect, along with the ducklike EQ thingee. I thought he was using a guitar synth, but (in the limited time I was able to view the performance), I didn't see any hex-pickup on his guitar.
                There's only two things I'm afraid of---women, and the the C7+9+11 Chord.

Comment

Working...
                X