Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Europa760

But yeah, john's rhythm playing WAS stellar.

They're BOTH named John!
    www.poparad.com

Comment

Originally posted by Poparad

They're BOTH named John!
      Originally Posted by requiem156

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Poparad

They're BOTH named John!

i guess that means my point makes no sense then.

damn it.
        Originally posted by
        also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

John totally ripped.

John, on the other hand, sucked it up big time.
          Look away, I'm hideous.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Prince

You're right on that. I hope some people buy the Ray tribute and get turned onto some other Scofield.

But I'm skeptical about JM's involvement with Herbie. I still think it has to do with the fact that John wants to hang with the heavies (and is probably not charging them anywhere near the bux that he makes on his own tours, if hardly anything) and his name is a free ticket for them to get on some popular tours.

Somehow I doubt it was because Herbie and Marcus Miller decided he was the most gifted new guitarist they have heard.

Hell, if they wanted a great player for that stuff, they should have called Mr. Jones, or even Mr. Red Ant.

the should take Ed with 'em.
            Originally posted by musicdog400
            Jesus would play in a Jewish Rock Band. The more I think about it the more he might qualify as a rock star. Really into peace and compassion, hanging out with drunks and prostitutes, and occasionally getting mad and turning over tables.

Past productions/Works in progress

Comment

Originally posted by deathhammer
              [QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg_In_Michigan
              You guys can bitch piss and moan about John Mayer all you want.

Thanks for granting us pemission. I guess we can really cut loose, now.

Nobody told you that you weren't allowed. You neither help or hurt his situation.
              Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
              Terry D.

Originally Posted by Mr.Strat

screams are gayer than a gay 69. if you are gonna sing, please do it right!

Comment

Well, i saw the performance and wasn't particularly impressed with either of them. I've never heard anything from Scofield, but it did seem to me he was on purposely holding back for the song. Which is cool by my book, the only problem being none of what he played really grabbed me either. Same for Mayer, but he really didn't do much that entire song except exchange a couple of bluesy licks with Scofield.

Anyway, i wouldn't dare judge either by that performance. I generally don't judge any artist by talk show performances. For some reason they almost always sound bad, even the best of them.

Originally posted by Flamencology

Holdsworth is a great player, but comparing him to Scofield is like comparing water to wine; relatively speaking, he hasn't evolved, lacks any sense of dynamics, is unable to make his phrases breathe, lacks versatility, has failed to produce a significant catalogue, has failed to compose music that is both intricate and accesible (even for musicians), and has failed to work with the same range of talent.

I wanted to comment on this because i think you're dead wrong. Hasn't evolved? Have you heard his early stuff compared to his newer stuff? What do you call that? Lack of dynamics... i might can agree with, but that's kinda part of his ever-so-smooth style. I also disagree about him not letting his phrases breathe. Listen to Home... i hear plenty of breathing phrases. And how would you know if he "lacks versatility"? Just because he doesn't play a million different styles doesn't mean he can't. Considering the extremely high difficulty level of his chordal and legato-lead work i'd be willing to bet he could be versatile if he wanted to be. He's just bent on carving out his own unique style. Nothing wrong with that.

And what do you consider a "significant catalogue"? He's got a good amount of solo albums and equal amount of side projects and collaborations with other artists. Granted i haven't heard all of his output, but i heard a good chunk of it (mostly through downloads) and i've been impressed by just about everything i've heard. And while his music certainly isn't accessible, it isn't supposed to be. I think he makes music that's purposely challenging to the listener - even the experienced ones. There's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

If you ask me, for everything he lacks in accessibility he makes up for in originality and innovation. He's not afraid to take risks and experiment, even to the extent of alienating his fanbase. It's something alot of people dislike in artists, but it's something i admire, even when i don't like what they're doing (like most of his synthaxe stuff).
                There is nothing written here.
                Drôles de gens que ces gens-lÃ****!
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

HCONOB Founder (and member)
                HCOOM Founder (and member)

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by WulfmanJax
                  I wanted to comment on this because i think you're dead wrong. Hasn't evolved? Have you heard his early stuff compared to his newer stuff? What do you call that? Lack of dynamics... i might can agree with, but that's kinda part of his ever-so-smooth style. I also disagree about him not letting his phrases breathe. Listen to Home... i hear plenty of breathing phrases. And how would you know if he "lacks versatility"? Just because he doesn't play a million different styles doesn't mean he can't. Considering the extremely high difficulty level of his chordal and legato-lead work i'd be willing to bet he could be versatile if he wanted to be. He's just bent on carving out his own unique style. Nothing wrong with that.

Key phrase was 'compared to Scofield'.

ANYWAY, 'he/she could' is a pointless phrase... the only valid criteria for assessing an artist is the work that they DO produce, as compared to the work of others.

And no, I don't think that there's that large a leap between Metal Fatigue and All Night Wrong, despite a period of almost 20 years between them... different seats, same game.

But I will listen again to make sure I wasn't wrong the last 50 times I heard his playing.

Comment

Key phrase was 'compared to Scofield'.

ANYWAY, 'he/she could' is a pointless phrase... the only valid criteria for assessing an artist is the work that they DO produce, as compared to the work of others.

And no, I don't think that there's that large a leap between Metal Fatigue and All Night Wrong, despite a period of almost 20 years between them... different seats, same game.
                    But then how do you evaluate artists who are hell bent on carving out their own unique style? There was really nobody who sounded like Holdsworth before Holdsworth... who really do you have to compare him to?

Listen to Sixteen Men of Tain... there's definitely a change, if perhaps not a huge amount of evolution.

I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. I'm on my way to what I want from this world, and years from now I'll make it to the next world. I'll do my best to do the best I can. Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. To keep my feet from jumping from the ground dear. To keep my heart from jumping through my mouth dear. To keep the past, the past and not the present. To try and learn when you teach me a lesson.

Winnie the Pooh

When you are a bear of very little brain, and you think of things, you find sometimes that a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Comment

Listen to Sixteen Men of Tain...

That's in my current playlist.

In this instance, we are comparing him to Scofield, who is every bit as much of an individualist, albeit in a much more eclectic and much less confrontational manner.

Comment

That's in my current playlist.

In this instance, we are comparing him to Scofield, who is every bit as much of an individualist, albeit in a much more eclectic and much less confrontational manner.
                        I can't compare as i haven't heard any Scofield. I was just defending Holdsworth against (what i thought) was your unfair assessments of him. It seems unfair to bash artists for something they aren't trying to be. And what do you mean with "much less confrontational manner"?

Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I can't compare as i haven't heard any Scofield.

Go back and read the post that I was addressing in the first place (59refin's).

It's not fair to compare them... Holdsworth's not in the same league.

It'd be like comparing The Rites of Spring to Le Nozze di Figaro.

And what I meant by 'confrontational', was that just because something sounds bolder or more starkly original (Stravinsky), does not mean that it is any more unique (Mozart)...

I would argue that Bill Frisell and Pat Metheny are more unique than even Holdsworth, but we wouldn't be having this discussion if it were them, because their uniqueness is more subtle.

Comment

Go back and read the post that I was addressing in the first place (59refin's).

It's not fair to compare them... Holdsworth's not in the same league.

It'd be like comparing The Rites of Spring to Le Nozze di Figaro.

And what I meant by 'confrontational', was that just because something sounds bolder or more starkly original (Stravinsky), does not mean that it is any more unique (Mozart)...

I would argue that Bill Frisell and Pat Metheny are more unique than even Holdsworth, but we wouldn't be having this discussion if it were them, because their uniqueness is more subtle.
                            Fair enough. It's hard for me to compare considering i haven't heard Scofield. But i think Holdsworth is a good candidate for the best living guitarist in the world right now. To say he isn't in the same league with anyone is lunacy in my book. I'm not sure if there's any guitarist out there that can do what he does better than him. But i'm sure it's a fair assessment to say that he can't do alot of what the guitarists you mentioned do as well as they can either. Compare and contrast all day if you want, when you get into that kind of upper-echelon of guitar playing ability, it's nearly impossible to say "who's better" anymore.

Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I'm not sure if there's any guitarist out there that can do what he does better than him... when you get into that kind of upper-echelon of guitar playing ability, it's nearly impossible to say "who's better" anymore.

For my $, all else being equal...

best guitarist = guitarist who cuts the best albums

and Holdsworth has never made an album that ranks with the best of those I've mentioned

Comment

For my $, all else being equal...

best guitarist = guitarist who cuts the best albums

and Holdsworth has never made an album that ranks with the best of those I've mentioned
                                And "best album" is a completely subjective subject. I'm sure there are as many people on here who would think that Metal Fatigue is as good or better than anything the other guitarists you mentioned ever did as there would be people (like you) disagreeing with that. But in terms of pure guitar playing ability, Holdsworth is definitely in the same league as those you mentioned. The music they make is probably too different to really compare, other than to say "i prefer his style over his".

Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Working...
                                X