Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flamencology
    Sure... why compare anything with anything?

Take an art history course sometime; if you're not prepared to compare and contrast two totally different pieces, then you're going to do badly.

As for Scofield's performance last night... what did he do wrong? what could he have done better? He played exactly what the situation called for; no more, no less. That's EXACTLY what he's done throughout a very long career that has covered more stylistic ground than most musicians dream of, and with more great musical greats than most people will ever SEE. Furthermore, he's been able to maintain critical and popular success without compromising one note of his music... a Verve contract isn't the easiest thing in the world for a jazzman to hold onto these days.

Holdsworth is a great player, but comparing him to Scofield is like comparing water to wine; relatively speaking, he hasn't evolved, lacks any sense of dynamics, is unable to make his phrases breathe, lacks versatility, has failed to produce a significant catalogue, has failed to compose music that is both intricate and accesible (even for musicians), and has failed to work with the same range of talent.

And since you asked, here are two originals and a cover:

http://merseybeat.net/studio/bands/174/music.php

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000117954_000028660.mp3
    Good point, Flame. You brought up something that few people seem to have any regard for, and that is playing within the limits of a "situation". It takes a very disciplined player to squelch his ego long enough to play what a piece requires, and not go over the edge trying to prove something. It's a large part of the art, IMO. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by deathhammer
      Good point, Flame. You brought up something that few people seem to have any regard for, and that is playing within the limits of a "situation". It takes a very disciplined player to squelch his ego long enough to play what a piece requires, and not go over the edge trying to prove something. It's a large part of the art, IMO. Good post.

Exactly...

He took a supportive role, and like any good sideman, he played to complement Mayer - that's professionalism... a lot of players could have turned it up a notch, but it'd have been disrespectful.

Scofield's got nothing to prove.

And one more thing that's been neglected by the solo-starved board... the rhythm playing last night was STELLAR.

Comment

You guys can bitch piss and moan about John Mayer all you want.

He won't be leaving the spotlight anytime soon.
        Sexuality has a direction and a magnitude. My direction is "straight" and my magnitude is zero.
        Terry D.

Originally Posted by Mr.Strat

screams are gayer than a gay 69. if you are gonna sing, please do it right!

Comment

The funny thing is that in the amp forum thread on this, they were praising Mayer's tone, and criticizing Scofield's.

I think they both sounded great. Scofield has that distinct honk. And Mayer's Strat/Two Rock sounds excellent. They both played well for the song.
          Look away, I'm hideous.

Comment

Well, I taped it and watched it this morning. I have to say, it was pretty meh all the way around for me. Whatever that effect Sco was using was, it sounded like ass.

Mayer just played his stock pentatonic blues licks that he's used on everything I've seen. Don't see how that is gonna fly in Herbie Hancock's band.

Comment

Originally posted by RAVELL
              alright this is the way i think of it. and i saw the leno show last night too Scofield to my ears wasnt what yall make him sound like. to me his playing wasnt " greasy, low down, or from the heart." just cause he makes some face and makes some weird body movements doesnt make him play from the heart. i didnt like his tone either. and for someone to say he is better than holdsworth? how can you even ****************ing compare the two? their totally different styles. granted their both grounded in the jazz realm but thats it. whatever yall have fun bashing mayer. i'd like to see yall play something

$ .02

As Flamencology said, I don't see what was wrong with what Sco did. What wasn't from the heart? The rhythm was funky and fit the tune, and the leads seemed like standard off-the-cuff jazzy blues Sco stuff. About the only thing he did that might have seemed contrived was turn on that weird effect, and he turned it off when it wasn't working and just kept going at it.

As for me, this is all I have on the computer right now.

http://members.cox.net/~frank.prince/fpblues.mp3
              Originally Posted by requiem156

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg_In_Michigan
                You guys can bitch piss and moan about John Mayer all you want.

Thanks for granting us pemission. I guess we can really cut loose, now.

Comment

Mayer is a good player, writes catchy songs, is living his dream, and makes a lot of money doing it.

You guys can whine all you want, but at the end of the day the guy has it all and is comfortable doing what he's doing artistically.

Mayer > whiny message board posts

Listen to my music

Comment

Originally posted by Dash4814

Yup. And I'm not even a fan of Mayer.
                    Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

Those guitars are uglier than Rosie O'Donnells ass-crack and the amp is like this forum, too many knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash4814
                      Mayer is a good player, writes catchy songs, is living his dream, and makes a lot of money doing it.

You guys can whine all you want, but at the end of the day the guy has it all and is comfortable doing what he's doing artistically.

No whining here. I just keep reading posts here about what a smoking player he is, and how he is getting pulled in to play with all the greats because of that, and then when I see him on TV with these greats all it really amounts to is a guest spot with him singing (not very well IMHO) and playing barely any guitar.

I just don't hear the great playing. To be fair, I haven't seen the Crossroads DVD. Maybe if I can check that out I'll change my tune.

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Prince

No whining here. I just keep reading posts here about what a smoking player he is, and how he is getting pulled in to play with all the greats because of that, and then when I see him on TV with these greats all it really amounts to is a guest spot with him singing (not very well IMHO) and playing barely any guitar.

I just don't hear the great playing. To be fair, I haven't seen the Crossroads DVD. Maybe if I can check that out I'll change my tune.

but hes playing with such taste and restraint. a lot of players could have turned it up a notch, but thats true professionalism. anything more would be considered rude. something often overlooked by this solo starved board.
                        Originally posted by
                        also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

Originally posted by Europa760

but hes playing with such taste and restraint. a lot of players could have turned it up a notch, but thats true professionalism. anything more would be considered rude. something often overlooked by this solo starved board.

Could be me, but in the TV appearances with Sco and Buddy Guy it just looked like they wanted him to be the singer and didn't really give him any room. With Buddy he had a little more room, but he seemed very scared and tentative, and really didn't do anything.

Comment

Could be me, but in the TV appearances with Sco and Buddy Guy it just looked like they wanted him to be the singer and didn't really give him any room. With Buddy he had a little more room, but he seemed very scared and tentative, and really didn't do anything.

Exactly...

He took a supportive role, and like any good sideman, he played to complement Scofield and Buddy - that's professionalism... a lot of players could have turned it up a notch, but it'd have been disrespectful.

Mayer's got nothing to prove.

And one more thing that's been neglected by the solo-starved board... the rhythm playing last night was STELLAR.
                            Originally posted by
                            also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

Originally posted by Europa760

Exactly...

He took a supportive role, and like any good sideman, he played to complement Scofield and Buddy - that's professionalism... a lot of players could have turned it up a notch, but it'd have been disrespectful.

Mayer's got nothing to prove.

No, that's what's Sco did. Mayer just kind of moved his hand around the fretboard nervously with the sound turned off while he was singing, and then banged out a couple of generic whiteboy blues licks in trade off with Sco.

But yeah, Sco's rhythm playing WAS stellar.

Nice try.

Comment

No, that's what's Sco did. Mayer just kind of moved his hand around the fretboard nervously with the sound turned off while he was singing, and then banged out a couple of generic whiteboy blues licks in trade off with Sco.

But yeah, Sco's rhythm playing WAS stellar.

Nice try.

No, that's what's Mayer did. Sco just kind of moved his hand around the fretboard nervously, and then banged out a couple of generic whiteboy blues licks in trade off with Mayer.

But yeah, john's rhythm playing WAS stellar.

but seriously, do you not see why im doing this? you're condemning someone based solely on your taste. These statements aren't based in anything other than purely subjective taste.

as you can see, i can easily say the same stuff you say about mayer.

mayer played from the heart, bla bla bla. stuff like that.

im not trying to convince that mayer is some stellar god, but im just showing you how your thoughts aren't necessarily true.
                                Originally posted by

Comment

Working...
                                X