Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad Paisley OWNED Meyer on the CMT show. Meyer looked like he was treading water while Brad ripped it up.
    “Man, I was tame compared to what they do now. Are you kidding? I didn’t do anything but just jiggle.” Elvis Presley-1972

Rock On
    Mike

MIM Strat Proud
    OFFICIAL Bad Monkey Club

Comment

Originally posted by micahsdad
      Brad Paisley OWNED Meyer on the CMT show. Meyer looked like he was treading water while Brad ripped it up.

because as we all know: music=competition

Comment

link?

Comment

JM is commercial crossover pap designed for consumption by the masses. Just like Big and Rich over at "country acres". No difference between 'em, in that respect. Yawn. BTW, Paisley IS a badass, even though I'm not a big country fan.

Comment

Originally posted by BootRoots

because as we all know: music=competition

it kind of is though if you think about it

Comment

Originally posted by smurfco

it kind of is though if you think about it

YOU make me wet.
              XT Brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by or3stes

YOU make me wet.

uh oh, looks like its not long before or3stes starts furiously masturbaing

Comment

DAMMIT I KNEW I WAS GOING TO MISS IT!!!!
                  "Life is easy when you gain nothing"
                  "If Heaven is for clean people, it must be vacant."
                  "Why does everyone feel so terrible, when terrible is in fashion?"

Comment

Believe it or not but I've never heard a John Mayer song. The only time I've ever heard him play was on a schit on Chappell Show. I didn't see Leno last night. I have heard a lot of Sco and have seen him in concert once. He can change to fit about any situation.
                    There are four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done!

Comment

Originally posted by TheEdge

Personally, he's was a gift muscially for electric guitar for me. I can relate with his songwriting and alongside that he happens to bring electric guitar into the picture. I can't relate to a Buddy Guy or a BB King.. I love their playing, but lyrically someone at 21 such as myself can't directly relate, some of it yes, all of it no. So if a young guy such as John comes along and writes about viewpoints from a vantage I can relate with, then everything clicks. Music is all about being able to relate with the artist. Alongside that he lovea the guitar, he loves SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.. A song like Neon shows he likes to travel a bit with guitar. I like him simply because I like how he sounds. His guitar is tasteful and melodic. I can't stand the standard Jazz or Shred runs.. sure they have talent, but it doesn't interest me because I like for everything to tie in together and for the guitar to tell a story and compliment the lyrics, and for jazz or shred, it just doesn't do it for me, technical yes, storytelling no.
                      Yup, this kind of sums up why I like the John Mayer stuff that I do. He's written some great songs, and always seems to release the wrong ones (sometimes not by choice, if his Grammy acceptance speech is any indication). I couldn't care less if he's not an 'elite' player, and I really don't see anyone claiming that he is. The way Frank puts it, you'd think Wes Montgomery's stepped up personally to pat him on the back and say, "I wish I could play like THIS dude!". He just clearly enjoys playing guitar and jamming with the legends; you wouldn't do the same given the chance? And as for guitar playing in a pop song-structure...he does a damn good job of it. See 'Neon', '3x5', 'Wheel' or his live 'Come Back To Bed' performances. And for pure melody, watch his 'Lenny/Man On The Side' rendition on the Any Given Thursday DVD. The guy knows what he's doing, and it takes a certain amount of talent to even think of sharing the stage with someone like John Scofield.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherinian gonnabe
                        Yup, these kind of sums up why I like the John Mayer stuff that I do. He's written some great songs, and always seems to release the wrong ones (sometimes not by choice, if his Grammy acceptance speech is any indication). I couldn't care less if he's not an 'elite' player, and I really don't see anyone claiming that he is. The way Frank puts it, you'd think Wes Montgomery's stepped up personally to pat him on the back and say, "I wish I could play like THIS dude!". He just clearly enjoys playing guitar and jamming with the legends; you wouldn't do the same given the chance? And as for guitar playing in a pop song-structure...he does a damn good job of it. See 'Neon', '3x5', 'Wheel' or his live 'Come Back To Bed' performances. And for pure melody, watch his 'Lenny/Man On The Side' rendition on the Any Given Thursday DVD. The guy knows what he's doing, and it takes a certain amount of talent to even think of sharing the stage with someone like John Scofield.

+1

To much comparing going on in here. Like or dislike Mayer for what he is, not for what he isnt/isnt trying to be.
                        "Life is easy when you gain nothing"
                        "If Heaven is for clean people, it must be vacant."
                        "Why does everyone feel so terrible, when terrible is in fashion?"

Comment

John Mayer > Me

So if he sucks.... then..

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

- Hunter S. Thompson
                          R.I.P. 1937 - 2005

Comment

seriously
                            Originally posted by
                            also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

Comment

alright this is the way i think of it. and i saw the leno show last night too Scofield to my ears wasnt what yall make him sound like. to me his playing wasnt " greasy, low down, or from the heart." just cause he makes some face and makes some weird body movements doesnt make him play from the heart. i didnt like his tone either. and for someone to say he is better than holdsworth? how can you even ****************ing compare the two? their totally different styles. granted their both grounded in the jazz realm but thats it. whatever yall have fun bashing mayer. i'd like to see yall play something

$ .02

Comment

Sure... why compare anything with anything?

Take an art history course sometime; if you're not prepared to compare and contrast two totally different pieces, then you're going to do badly.

As for Scofield's performance last night... what did he do wrong? what could he have done better? He played exactly what the situation called for; no more, no less. That's EXACTLY what he's done throughout a very long career that has covered more stylistic ground than most musicians dream of, and did it with more musical greats than most people will ever SEE. Furthermore, he's been able to maintain critical and popular success without compromising one note of his music... a Verve contract isn't the easiest thing in the world for a jazzman to hold onto these days.

Holdsworth is a great player, but comparing him to Scofield is like comparing water to wine; relatively speaking, he hasn't evolved, lacks any sense of dynamics, is unable to make his phrases breathe, lacks versatility, has failed to produce a significant catalogue, has failed to compose music that is both intricate and accesible (even for musicians), and has failed to work with the same range of talent.

And since you asked, here are two originals and a cover:

http://merseybeat.net/studio/bands/174/music.php

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000117954_000028660.mp3

Comment

Working...
                                X