Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by TheEdge


    Is this how people felt about the Beatles? I'm not comparing him to the Beatles, but...


    Sure... sub-in Sinatra for Clapton, and you've got the opinion of anybody with ears circa 1963.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by TheEdge

      I love their playing, but lyrically someone at 21 such as myself can't directly relate, some of it yes, all of it no.


      I'm 21. Mayer's lyrics make me want to hang myself.
      Reality is the original Rorschach.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by The Eristic


        I'm 21. Mayer's lyrics make me want to hang myself.


        John Mayer is a douchebird.

        Comment


        • #34
          OK, we've bashed Mayer enough, now on to Scofield. I was very much looking forward to Sco' because I've never heard him. One of you Scofield fans please tell me he was having an off night or laying back for Mayer, cause that stunk. I often hear him compared to Holdsworth or Herring and I sure didn't see that tonight. Disappointed. I can imagine Kevin Eubanks sitting there having a great laugh.
          What if you scare yourself half to death twice?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by andrewjudah
            Mayer is not a world class player, he is just a guy who writes some good songs, plays guitar pretty well, and is popular with the lady. He must also be a pretty nice guy to work with, because many pros seem to like him. Its a rare combo, honestly... Clapton isnt that great eather, but look at the platform he stands on.... oh boy, can of worms has just been opened.


            For Pete's sake.

            Ripping Clapton is beyond insane. The man is a legend for a reason, I like just about everything he's done. Plus, he's still doing good stuff after all these years. Reptile is one of my favorite songs period and it came out a few years ago.

            Mayer, on the other hand, will be long forgotten a little while down the road. It was recently pointed out to me that he did an all blues show so I downloaded it and gave it a listen. After hearing him butcher I'll Play the Blues For You while the teenies screamed in ecstasy, I would now like to do bodily harm to him. The pretentiousness in his handling of that beautiful tune combined with a solo which was completely out of key (or something else, it was horrible) made me very angry. The he mangled Freddie King's I'm Tore Down and I'd couldn't take anymore. The funny thing is people are touting this show as great stuff ( I think it's getting a dvd release) and it's some of the worst "blues" I've ever heard.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by 59refin
              I often hear him compared to Holdsworth or Herring


              He's better than either.

              EnRoute or Time On My Hands

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by 59refin
                OK, we've bashed Mayer enough, now on to Scofield. I was very much looking forward to Sco' because I've never heard him. One of you Scofield fans please tell me he was having an off night or laying back for Mayer, cause that stunk. I often hear him compared to Holdsworth or Herring and I sure didn't see that tonight. Disappointed. I can imagine Kevin Eubanks sitting there having a great laugh.
                I doubt Kevin would be laughing at Scofield. I haven't seen it, hasn't started here yet, but the Ray Charles cover album is pretty laid back stuff.
                I'm not a huge Scofield fan, but there's no denying he is a stellar jazz guitar player.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Flamencology
                  I'm no fan.

                  But it's a step up from what was on Leno last night, what will be on Leno tomorrow night, and a couple million people just saw John Scofield. Everybody wins.

                  Maybe they'll go out and buy the CD.

                  And great or not, you've at least got to be very good to look decent onstage next to Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller for a 90-minute set.

                  You're right on that. I hope some people buy the Ray tribute and get turned onto some other Scofield.

                  But I'm skeptical about JM's involvement with Herbie. I still think it has to do with the fact that John wants to hang with the heavies (and is probably not charging them anywhere near the bux that he makes on his own tours, if hardly anything) and his name is a free ticket for them to get on some popular tours.

                  Somehow I doubt it was because Herbie and Marcus Miller decided he was the most gifted new guitarist they have heard.

                  Hell, if they wanted a great player for that stuff, they should have called Mr. Jones, or even Mr. Red Ant.
                  Originally Posted by requiem156


                  Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by 59refin
                    OK, we've bashed Mayer enough, now on to Scofield. I was very much looking forward to Sco' because I've never heard him. One of you Scofield fans please tell me he was having an off night or laying back for Mayer, cause that stunk. I often hear him compared to Holdsworth or Herring and I sure didn't see that tonight. Disappointed. I can imagine Kevin Eubanks sitting there having a great laugh.

                    I thought what Sco did was perfect for the tune. He played lowdown and greasy and from the heart, and had a moment or 2 of hanging on the edge but not falling off. Perfect.........
                    Originally Posted by requiem156


                    Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Frank Prince

                      I thought what Sco did was perfect for the tune. He played lowdown and greasy and from the heart, and had a moment or 2 of hanging on the edge but not falling off. Perfect.........


                      +1

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        look at all the whining.
                        Originally posted by
                        also, most pissed off, energetic drummer you're ever likely to see. his guitarist described it as "beating his way out of his mother's **** every time he plays"

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Europa760
                          look at all the whining.


                          pseudo intellectual snots who couldnt write a song that their mommy would be proud of, but Mayer is a big loser.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Frank Prince

                            But I'm skeptical about JM's involvement with Herbie. I still think it has to do with the fact that John wants to hang with the heavies (and is probably not charging them anywhere near the bux that he makes on his own tours, if hardly anything) and his name is a free ticket for them to get on some popular tours.


                            Sure...

                            But the audience'll still be getting a first-class show, the music will be brought to a larger audience, and a handful of acts who were about to get dropped from a record label won't be.

                            He's bridging a gap that is in serious need of bridging. Who am I to complain?

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Europa760
                              look at all the whining.

                              these are some of my favorite threads to read. mayer is one of those topics people like to try real hard to act like they don;t really care about the guy or his music, yet some how these threads turn into 20 pages in no time.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by BootRoots

                                these are some of my favorite threads to read. mayer is one of those topics people like to try real hard to act like they don;t really care about the guy or his music, yet some how these threads turn into 20 pages in no time.


                                In most threads people can express their distaste for someone and it's left at that (sometimes ) , but a lot of people get their panties in a bunch over Mayer.

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X