Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Scofield w/ John Mayer on Leno Tonight (Wed 15th)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank Prince
    Ok, I just saw it. I've been a good boy and stayed out of the John Mayer salad-tossing threads, but now I gotta say it again.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe these legends like Buddy Guy and Scofield are all totally impressed with something I'm not seeing, but based on this performance, the one I saw with Buddy Guy, and some live takes I heard with Mayer's own band, this guy really ain't all that. I just don't hear the "elite" class guitar playing that people are talking about, and I thought the vocals were weak, too. I'm no great fan of Robben Ford's vocals, but I'd rather hear him sing a tune like this than JM, and never even mind the guitar playing comparison.

Scofield totally brought the funk on this one. Mayer "sang" it, and sort of moved his hand around on the guitar a bit, and then traded a couple of generic SRV bluesboy licks with Sco. I just don't see what the big fuss is. He had a nice tone, but that was about it.

I also FIRMLY believe that if it was just Sco doing the Ray Charles Tribute with no John Mayer, there would have been no Jay Leno appearance either.

Sco was killer, though. I haven't listened to any of his stuff for a while. He had a really honking, greasy, hornlike tone with that 335 and what looked like an AC30, played fonky-ass rhythm, and then busted some slippery blues with tasty outside surprises. Noyce!

true dat
    Originally posted by musicdog400
    Jesus would play in a Jewish Rock Band. The more I think about it the more he might qualify as a rock star. Really into peace and compassion, hanging out with drunks and prostitutes, and occasionally getting mad and turning over tables.

Past productions/Works in progress

Comment

John Mayer is a poser.

Comment

Ok, I just saw it. I've been a good boy and stayed out of the John Mayer salad-tossing threads, but now I gotta say it again.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

Maybe these legends like Buddy Guy and Scofield are all totally impressed with something I'm not seeing, but based on this performance, the one I saw with Buddy Guy, and some live takes I heard with Mayer's own band, this guy really ain't all that. I just don't hear the "elite" class guitar playing that people are talking about, and I thought the vocals were weak, too. I'm no great fan of Robben Ford's vocals, but I'd rather hear him sing a tune like this than JM, and never even mind the guitar playing comparison.

Scofield totally brought the funk on this one. Mayer "sang" it, and sort of moved his hand around on the guitar a bit, and then traded a couple of generic SRV bluesboy licks with Sco. I just don't see what the big fuss is. He had a nice tone, but that was about it.

I also FIRMLY believe that if it was just Sco doing the Ray Charles Tribute with no John Mayer, there would have been no Jay Leno appearance either.

Sco was killer, though. I haven't listened to any of his stuff for a while. He had a really honking, greasy, hornlike tone with that 335 and what looked like an AC30, played fonky-ass rhythm, and then busted some slippery blues with tasty outside surprises. Noyce!

Check out the crossroads dvd if you haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by BadCat
          John Mayer is a poser.

That's what I think. I mean, I heard some live "guitar extravanganza" thing he did at one of his own live shows, and while it showed some chops and was really good in the general lead playing sense, it still sounded like a kind of rambling, trying to be melodic but only getting it in places, showoffy, standard stoner jamband solo ramble.

I understand he is the guitar player for Herbie Hancock's Headhunter band now, so I'm interested to see if he can step up to that level. I kinda doubt it. I hope to hear some boots and be surprised.

I still think that he is in with these type players 'cause he craves being an "elite" player, and these guys aren't going to kick him to the curb if he gets 'em all on Late Night TV every time he makes a move and guest stars on their albums.

Still, he's no
          Jimmy Herring
          Jamie Glaser
          Joe Bonamassa
          Scott Henderson
          Mike Stern
          etc., etc.
          Originally Posted by requiem156

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

You have an incredibly keen grasp of the obvious.
            I kill threads.

Comment

Mayer is not a world class player, he is just a guy who writes some good songs, plays guitar pretty well, and is popular with the lady. He must also be a pretty nice guy to work with, because many pros seem to like him. Its a rare combo, honestly... Clapton isnt that great eather, but look at the platform he stands on.... oh boy, can of worms has just been opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Modal Auxiliary

You have an incredibly keen grasp of the obvious.

Whine and mock me if you like, but there are still a bunch of people here who act like he's God's new gift to the electric guitar when it's pretty obvious that if there were no "Your Body is a Wonderland" and "Daughters", there would also be no JM live on TV with Buddy Guy, Double Trouble, Scofield, Brad Paisley, etc., etc.

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjudah
                  Mayer is not a world class player, he is just a guy who writes some good songs, plays guitar pretty well, and is popular with the lady. He must also be a pretty nice guy to work with, because many pros seem to like him. Its a rare combo, honestly... Clapton isnt that great eather, but look at the platform he stands on.... oh boy, can of worms has just been opened.

Clapton WAS great, and a legend in his time. John Mayer is "cute" and wrote a couple of songs that made teenyboppers and lonely girls swoon.

Small difference, there, I think.

Comment

Whine and mock me if you like

I wasn't whining.
                    I kill threads.

Comment

I'm no fan.

But it's a step up from what was on Leno last night, what will be on Leno tomorrow night, and a couple million people just saw John Scofield. Everybody wins.

Maybe they'll go out and buy the CD.

And great or not, you've at least got to be very good to look decent onstage next to Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller for a 90-minute set.

Comment

That's what I think. I mean, I heard some live "guitar extravanganza" thing he did at one of his own live shows, and while it showed some chops and was really good in the general lead playing sense, it still sounded like a kind of rambling, trying to be melodic but only getting it in places, showoffy, standard stoner jamband solo ramble.

I understand he is the guitar player for Herbie Hancock's Headhunter band now, so I'm interested to see if he can step up to that level. I kinda doubt it. I hope to hear some boots and be surprised.

I still think that he is in with these type players 'cause he craves being an "elite" player, and these guys aren't going to kick him to the curb if he gets 'em all on Late Night TV every time he makes a move and guest stars on their albums.

Still, he's no
                        Jimmy Herring
                        Jamie Glaser
                        Joe Bonamassa
                        Scott Henderson
                        Mike Stern
                        etc., etc.

Nobody claimed he was an elite player. He's pretty good though. His music boring to me though.
                        Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer
                        its a slippery slope man. first Eb, then D. next thing you know you'll be tuning to C standard and playing guitars with DiMarzio Dropsonic pups in them. then comes the facemasks. its a gateway drug man, don't do it.

Comment

Pretty sad when the truly great guitar players have to ride on some punk's coattails.

Comment

Whine and mock me if you like, but there are still a bunch of people here who act like he's God's new gift to the electric guitar.

Personally, he's was a gift muscially for electric guitar for me. I can relate with his songwriting and alongside that he happens to bring electric guitar into the picture. I can't relate to a Buddy Guy or a BB King.. I love their playing, but lyrically someone at 21 such as myself can't directly relate, some of it yes, all of it no. So if a young guy such as John comes along and writes about viewpoints from a vantage I can relate with, then everything clicks. Music is all about being able to relate with the artist. Alongside that he lovea the guitar, he loves SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, etc.. A song like Neon shows he likes to travel a bit with guitar. I like him simply because I like how he sounds. His guitar is tasteful and melodic. I can't stand the standard Jazz or Shred runs.. sure they have talent, but it doesn't interest me because I like for everything to tie in together and for the guitar to tell a story and compliment the lyrics, and for jazz or shred, it just doesn't do it for me, technical yes, storytelling no.
                            Fender Standard Strat
                            Martin 000M
                            Epiphone Special II
                            Squier Strat
                            Squier DG 6
                            Behringer V- Amp 2
                            Ibanez TS9
                            Ibanez DE7

Comment

Clapton WAS great, and a legend in his time. John Mayer is "cute" and wrote a couple of songs that made teenyboppers and lonely girls swoon.

Your not looking at the bigger picture, but I agree with you on 1 of your points. Clapton was great.

Comment

John Mayer is "cute" and wrote a couple of songs that made teenyboppers and lonely girls swoon.

Is this how people felt about the Beatles? I'm not comparing him to the Beatles, but...
                                Fender Standard Strat
                                Martin 000M
                                Epiphone Special II
                                Squier Strat
                                Squier DG 6
                                Behringer V- Amp 2
                                Ibanez TS9
                                Ibanez DE7

Comment

Working...
                                X