Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ozzy's Cover of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen"...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy's Cover of Mountain's "Mississippi Queen"...

Much respect to everything the Ozzman does, but it takes a whole level of "uh" to describe it.

The guitar doesn't have that Leslie West attitude to it, the vocals don't really match the premise of the song, and the tempo of the whole band is just soggy. It sounds like a garage band just realizing they know the riff.

I might love the original version too much for anyone else to do a cover of it, but chances are, they're just not doing it right.
    LOYAL BUCKETBOT
    MEMBER OF THE MAZI BEE MILITIA
    SUPPORTER OF THE ZAPPA MILITIA
    ---------------------------------------
    Gear:
    Ibanez Artcore Semi-Hollowbody
    Ibanez RG
    Fender Princeton Reverb II
    Boss MG-10 Multi-effects
    Fruity Loops
    Kazoo

Yup, it sucks. Ozzy himself sounds awful.
    Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

I can't remember the last time Ozzy recorded anything worth a ****************. Then again he doesn't write his own material even though he gets credit on all the songs.
      Not the man...just a fan

Comment

Originally posted by kirkvanhendrix
        Much respect to everything the Ozzman does, but it takes a whole level of "uh" to describe it.

The guitar doesn't have that Leslie West attitude to it, the vocals don't really match the premise of the song, and the tempo of the whole band is just soggy. It sounds like a garage band just realizing they know the riff.

I might love the original version too much for anyone else to do a cover of it, but chances are, they're just not doing it right.

that is leslie west playing guitar on that track. I read somewhere that he likes the version he did with ozzy so much he now performs it like that with mountain.

so really, it's not a cover......it's just ozzy singing for mountain.
        don't like my peachesdon't shake my treeget out of my orchardleave my peaches be

Comment

great tune but Ozzy's singing ruins it, IMHO
          EC1000

Comment

Anyone know what the original bloke used?

I'm guessing an lp?
            Originally posted by Danocoustic
            **************** you all to death.

Comment

Yah, that cover really blows chunks. I can't even listen to it.
              http://www.kingsofthedrink.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JakeELee
                I can't remember the last time Ozzy recorded anything worth a ****************. Then again he doesn't write his own material even though he gets credit on all the songs.

I liked a lot of Ozzmosis.

Comment

Sam Kinison did an interesting cover, changing some of the words to tell the Jim Baker, Jessica Hahn story.
                  "Rome wasn't burned in a day."

HCGB Trooper #239
                  CD available at CDBaby

Obligatory Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman!
                    Anyone know what the original bloke used?

I'm guessing an lp?

LP junior was Leslie's axe of choice.

The only ozzy cover song I like is Stayin Alive with Dweezil...."all aboard the disco train"
                    "Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night

"And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives" - Jagger/Richards

Comment

Originally posted by jonny guitar

LP junior was Leslie's axe of choice.

The only ozzy cover song I like is Stayin Alive with Dweezil...."all aboard the disco train"

It had P-90's in it, too, right?

It had that downright dirty sound.
                      LOYAL BUCKETBOT
                      MEMBER OF THE MAZI BEE MILITIA
                      SUPPORTER OF THE ZAPPA MILITIA
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Gear:
                      Ibanez Artcore Semi-Hollowbody
                      Ibanez RG
                      Fender Princeton Reverb II
                      Boss MG-10 Multi-effects
                      Fruity Loops
                      Kazoo

Comment

I think it's awful as well Ozzy never really did have great range he's always been a great showman but not a great singer.
                        catdaddy

Comment

I was surprised when I heard it is actually Leslie playing on it. The tone, playing, arrangement is nowhere near the quality of the original.
                          Look away, I'm hideous.

Comment

That was Leslie West! Well, I guess that puts an end to any bitching. I mean, it's his song, he can do with it as he wants. Instead of all these covers, I'd really rather hear Ozzy back with Zakk on some original stuff.

That cover of King Crimson was half ass. The original and April Wine's cover are much better.You can't go and cut out the instrumental from a classic like that.
                            "Okay,okay,okay!I understand!Now quit babbling like some screwy twat and get me another beer."

"Then again, you may be the Antichrist"- Doc Holiday

"The only time is now"-the movie Infection.

"before the streets were
                            pedestrianized, and when the district was seedy,
                            dangerous, and mundane all at once". - Warren Zevon

Comment

I didn't know that was Leslie West either. His guitar sound sure has taken a turn for the worse. I love the original. I heard Leslie actually put slits in the speaker of his amp (with a razor blade) to make it break up like that..

Comment

Working...
                              X