Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r0g3r

Children's brains do not work the same way as those of adults...... they simply don't think the same way.... also they have smaller hands, and have had a lot less time to develop their own style or a sense of maturity in their playing. They haven't had the time to be exposed to as much music as an adult, and they don't have the same reservoir of life experiences to draw on in creating "soulful" music (or developing a cynical outlook) either.

It's only common sense that you wouldn't hold an 8-12 year old to the same standards as an adult. This kid has his whole life ahead of him to develop those other things.... I think he's doing things in the RIGHT order, building the foundation first (while his brain is still wired for learning) and the rest will come in time.

+1

He won't have any problems expressing himself in the future since he won't have any technical limitations.
    Rockin' the Free World with the Mazi Bee Militia

Please visit my photoblog. If you're a Stumbler, please give me a thumbs up!
    make money by digging and stumbling.

Comment

Originally posted by XeroStar33

+1

He won't have any problems expressing himself in the future since he won't have any technical limitations.

Well, as I said, it's not whether he'll have problems expressing himself, it's whether he'll have anything worth expressing.

That depends entirely on his development in the next 10-15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by r0g3r
        And to talk about an 8 year old's playing lacking soul is just ****************ing ridiculous.....

Yep. Even though we all may have different definitions of "Soul", I think most would agree that it centers around life experience and emotions that a kid that age couldn't possibly have processed yet.

I must admit that it didn't make me say... "Damn! I gotta get me a CD of that kid so I can listen to him all day long!"

It did, however, make me say... "Damn! What's that kid gonna sound like when he's 25?!?!?" His musicianship may never catch up to his chops. But if it does... HOLY ****************!
        HCGB Trooper #23

Comment

that kid can play a hell of alot better than I can, and I'm 18!
          MOTGLHC

1973 Peavey Vintage Series- 4-10"
          2003 Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
          2001 Fender Standard Strat
          1991 Fender San Miguel (22 fret, acoustic with cutaway and Strat headstock)
          2004 SX SPB62LH
          2005 SX GG2LH (Explorer Copy)

Comment

Seriously, the boy is very good - I think it's sad that most of you guys are slammin him because he doesn't have "soul" for christ sakes he's just a boy how could he have the experience to have it all at this point in his life???

I am curious about finding these types of scales to learn myself. there are a million theory books out there but they only show how to play the basic modes and expect you to totally understand the rest of music. It looks like someone showed this kid all the cool stuff first - which I cannot find, somebody please let me know where I can find this kind of instructional material to practice so that someday I too can jam like this guy before I'm too forking old.

ANy and all "useful" info is greatly appreciated
            Political Correctness is killing America

Don't forget to pay your taxes.
            17 million illegal immigrants are counting on you.

Originally posted by Call me Ishmael

the Libs will do nothing BUT derail this thread. They would prefer to strangle it, wrap it up in duct tape, put it in garbage bag, and bury it so that no one can see it. Truth is like acid on their soul-less flesh.

Member of the Mesa/Boogie Mob

Comment

Originally posted by Flamencology
              Bireli Lagrene, Vicente Amigo, Herbie Hancock...

It's not really a question of how good he is now, but whether he'll be able to maintain the learning curve throughout the next 10-20 years, or hit a plateau within the next 5.

At this stage, I feel that it's probably more beneficial for the kids to be absorbing theory than to be woodshedding... without the former, the latter usually won't amount to much.

You were able to tell his level of music theory knowledge from that clip? Impressive. With that technique and based upon what I heard...I'd safely guess that he has atleast a basic understanding of keys...which again puts him ahead of FAR too many players on this board.

From that point he doesn't have that much to learn before he's somewhere in the upper 10% of this board's music theory knowledge.

Scoff if you will but as a passionate hobbiest of guitar...I've noticed that my theory knowledge is greater than most git players that I jam with. A scary # of them do not even know non-barre, non-open chords. NM keys.
              Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Originally posted by Anjinsan

You were able to tell his level of music theory knowledge from that clip? Impressive. With that technique and based upon what I heard...I'd safely guess that he has atleast a basic understanding of keys...which again puts him ahead of FAR too many players on this board.

From that point he doesn't have that much to learn before he's somewhere in the upper 10% of this board's music theory knowledge.

Scoff if you will but as a passionate hobbiest of guitar...I've noticed that my theory knowledge is greater than most git players that I jam with. A scary # of them do not even know non-barre, non-open chords. NM keys.

What part of my post are you disagreeing with?

I just assumed that he was aiming for higher than HC's top 10%, 'cause that really isn't much of a goal...

Comment

haven't seen that before. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOne
                    haven't seen that before. Thanks.

YEA THANKS GOOD BUDDY!!

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I"VE EVER EVER SEEN THIS VIDEO!!!
                    XT Brotherhood

Comment

Why must I disagree with everything to post?

I just think that his theory AND technique are already above average for a rock guitar player. Not rejoicing in that...just saying.

He might give up the guitar tommorrow. He might invent a style that makes Holdsworth appear to be milque souled, campfire folk guitarist...

He might just use the force to get laid a few more times than his looks would normally allow in HS.

But for now...today...he is quite exceptional for his age. Extraordinary for certain.
                      Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Every competant guitarist Ive played with knows how to play/solo in key. Are you talking about people that are just new to the instrument?
                        Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Nobody ever said "Wow...that Horowitz is the Jesse Owens of the piano!" or "Hey, that John Coltrane is really trying to impress with all those fast, soulless runs!" You know why that is? Because the people who listen to those musicians actually have the listening skills to understand and appreciate what they're hearing. Only in the guitar crowd do we find so many 'musicians' who have nothing better to do than come up with excuses as to why technical excellence (hell, even competence) is somehow undesirable. That's why the rest of the music world looks down upon guitarists as knuckle-dragging cave-dwelling Neanderthals.

Comment

Why must I disagree with everything to post?

I just think that his theory AND technique are already above average for a rock guitar player. Not rejoicing in that...just saying.

He might give up the guitar tommorrow. He might invent a style that makes Holdsworth appear to be milque souled, campfire folk guitarist...

He might just use the force to get laid a few more times than his looks would normally allow in HS.

But for now...today...he is quite exceptional for his age. Extraordinary for certain.

Ok...

Comment

sorry to interrupt the bickering, but did anyone notice hes playing a brand new $1500US Ibanez RGT220?

Comment

Originally posted by smegolas
                              sorry to interrupt the bickering, but did anyone notice hes playing a brand new $1500US Ibanez RGT220?

I think he's good enough to justify an instrument of that cost.

Comment

Originally posted by smegolas

He deserves it. My son is only four and farts around on a beater acoustic...but I've already got a good condition, used Charvel Predator for him when he's a few years older. If he started wailing on that and showed the kind of dedication it would require to be anywhere near as good as the kid in the clip...

He could go into a store and point at anything...I'd buy it for him.
                                Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Working...
                                X