No announcement yet.

8 yr old solo - not bad...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r0g3r
    It's only common sense that you wouldn't hold an 8-12 year old to the same standards as an adult. This kid has his whole life ahead of him to develop those other things.... I think he's doing things in the RIGHT order, building the foundation first (while his brain is still wired for learning) and the rest will come in time.

Of course, and as I said, the only reason I did say it that way was because I was so used to people saying "Omg this kid is incredible, hes better than Yngwie and hes only 10!". Looking back on it (and watching again) the kid is really good. I hope the kid sticks with it and becomes a great player. I stand by what I said, that he is good (incredible, astounding, mindblowing whatever way you feel like putting it) for an 8 year old.

"I can't believe we're going through this again. Jealousy on these boards is always an ugly thing! This kid is absolutely amazing... but people need to find fault somewhere. Never mind that he's light years beyond just about everyone else at that age."

I do not see it as jealous to give my 2 cents on something everyone was dumbfounded by that didn't do as much for me. If I said "His parents probably just made him do that, I can play with soul and he can't. I wouldn't want to be able to do that anyway", then I could see you saying that...
    Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Nobody ever said "Wow...that Horowitz is the Jesse Owens of the piano!" or "Hey, that John Coltrane is really trying to impress with all those fast, soulless runs!" You know why that is? Because the people who listen to those musicians actually have the listening skills to understand and appreciate what they're hearing. Only in the guitar crowd do we find so many 'musicians' who have nothing better to do than come up with excuses as to why technical excellence (hell, even competence) is somehow undesirable. That's why the rest of the music world looks down upon guitarists as knuckle-dragging cave-dwelling Neanderthals.

Comment

Originally posted by SRVai

Of course, and as I said, the only reason I did say it that way was because I was so used to people saying "Omg this kid is incredible, hes better than Yngwie and hes only 10!". Looking back on it (and watching again) the kid is really good. I hope the kid sticks with it and becomes a great player. I stand by what I said, that he is good (incredible, astounding, mindblowing whatever way you feel like putting it) for an 8 year old.

What you said was "He's good for an 8 year old I guess."

Which would lead me to believe that you haven't seen very many kids around that age play the guitar (if you've seen any at all).

I was a guitar teacher for many years, and I taught a lot of kids from 5 to 60 years old, and believe me, this kid is nothing short of extrordinary......

Comment

Bireli Lagrene, Vicente Amigo, Herbie Hancock...

It's not really a question of how good he is now, but whether he'll be able to maintain the learning curve throughout the next 10-20 years, or hit a plateau within the next 5.

At this stage, I feel that it's probably more beneficial for the kids to be absorbing theory than to be woodshedding... without the former, the latter usually won't amount to much.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamspace
          anywho, how do you measure soul?

soul comes from life experiences. A 8-y/o can't have any kinda soul.
          http://www.kingsofthedrink.com/

Comment

Originally posted by weebz

soul comes from life experiences. A 8-y/o can't have any kinda soul.

Mozart @ 8 > Mozart @ 35

Comment

Originally posted by Flamencology

Mozart @ 8 > Mozart @ 35

ouch!!!!!! I just got pwn3d.

Comment

What you said was "He's good for an 8 year old I guess."

Which would lead me to believe that you haven't seen very many kids around that age play the guitar (if you've seen any at all).

I was a guitar teacher for many years, and I taught a lot of kids from 5 to 60 years old, and believe me, this kid is nothing short of extrordinary......

I teach guitar to a couple of kids on the side (I wouldn't consider myself that good of a teacher just because of my age and that I don't usually go into theory that in depth) and yeah, I haven't taught anyone that young before, though I did know this kid who was a little older (9 I think) who was really into the blues and who was IMO a fantastic player for his age. Did you even read the part where I said I went back and watched again? The kid is very good...
                Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Nobody ever said "Wow...that Horowitz is the Jesse Owens of the piano!" or "Hey, that John Coltrane is really trying to impress with all those fast, soulless runs!" You know why that is? Because the people who listen to those musicians actually have the listening skills to understand and appreciate what they're hearing. Only in the guitar crowd do we find so many 'musicians' who have nothing better to do than come up with excuses as to why technical excellence (hell, even competence) is somehow undesirable. That's why the rest of the music world looks down upon guitarists as knuckle-dragging cave-dwelling Neanderthals.

Comment

ouch!!!!!! I just got pwn3d.

Nah, you didn't because Mozart was at his best late in his life..... His later symphonies were masterpieces....

He was an amazing 8 year old though, probably the most gifted in the known history of music.

Comment

a bunch of rock guitarists jealous is probably the saddest thing ever.

the kids not gonna be able to play the outro to 'girl goodbye' or the solo to 'giant steps' but hell, in 10 years hell be incredible...and hell only be 18.

the kid rocks, btw
                    Some gear I use:
                    Gibson Custom '58 Les Paul Reissue
                    DW Drums
                    Universal Audio 2108
                    Universal Audio 1176
                    Lexicon PCM-70
                    TC Electronic G-Major
                    Yamaha AW16G
                    Sabian Cymbals
                    AKG, Shure, Neumann, Marshall mics
                    Revox B77 1/4"
                    ProTools

Comment

Nah, you didn't because Mozart was at his best late in his life.....

I'll admit that I exagerrated, but I do feel that Mozart's best material was written in his teenage years and early 20s.

Comment

Nah, you didn't

yah, I did, because Mozart definitely had some "soul" at age 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamencology

I'll admit that I exagerrated, but I do feel that Mozart's best material was written in his teenage years and early 20s.

Well, Mozart's output throughout his lifetime was pretty impressive..... and I agree that some of his best stuff was written during those years (you're talking about at least 1/3 of his lifetime), but I think his last few symphonies are his crowning achievements.

Comment

yah, I did, because Mozart definitely had some "soul" at age 8.

Mozart had soul till the day he died. Listen to the "Lacrimosa" from his requiem... that's as soulful a piece of music as any I've ever heard.

Comment

Soul, Schmole, yada, yada, yada...

That kid's phenomenol! Whether he's 8, 12, 22 or 32 he's got some killer chops.

For some reason that kid makes me think of Tiger Woods. Hmmmmm.......
                              "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

34 year old midget from russia sorry short person.
                                Now the smiling portrait of you
                                Is still hangin' on my frowning wall

Comment

Working...
                                X