X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 yr old solo - not bad...

Great technique - needs some soul tho

http://downloads.eonstreams.com/ccri/tn_memphis/dvby83dvby3g93evb78/guitarwizard.wmv

He learned to play the guitar.

Now he can learn to play music.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Comment

Yeah, It have been posted a few times here

anywho, how do you measure soul?
      From first to last
      The peak is never passed
      Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes
      One moment's high, and glory rolls on by
      Like a streak of lightning
      That flashes and fades in the summer sky

"my gear list"
      -GMW Superstrat
      -Ibanez RG3120
      -LTD M2

"You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man" - Paul Gilbert

Comment

He'll have severe carpel tunnel syndrom by the time he can legeally drive.

Comment

Holy **************** he's good! Man 'o man. If only I practiced enough...
          Guitars:
          Electric Epiphone LP Sunburst
          Washburn Taurus T-24 Bass
          Wasburn Acoustic 1938 Dreadnought (Restored)
          Kilo Uke

Amps:
          Fender Champion 30
          Kustom 40 Watt

Effects:
          Line 6 POD XT
          Digi Tech Digi Delay
          DOD Envelope Filter

XT Brotherhood

Comment

He had alright technique (still a little sloppy at times), but you could tell all he had was that technique to his playing. When he started soloing and bsing it, it sounded terrible. It was fast, yes, but extremely lacking in everything else. There was 0% soul in that clip whatsoever. You can do that stuff but still make it sound soulful and interesting. But good for an 8 year old I guess.
            Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

Nobody ever said "Wow...that Horowitz is the Jesse Owens of the piano!" or "Hey, that John Coltrane is really trying to impress with all those fast, soulless runs!" You know why that is? Because the people who listen to those musicians actually have the listening skills to understand and appreciate what they're hearing. Only in the guitar crowd do we find so many 'musicians' who have nothing better to do than come up with excuses as to why technical excellence (hell, even competence) is somehow undesirable. That's why the rest of the music world looks down upon guitarists as knuckle-dragging cave-dwelling Neanderthals.

Comment

'Eruption' on violin?

Comment

Seen this before here on the forum, very talented. But wasn
                >>>My Photography Page @ Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by SRVai
                  But good for an 8 year old I guess.

That kid can play his ass off...... obviously he'd dedicated a good bit of his childhood to learning to do that. Most kids don't have that kind of discipline.

Kids that can play like this are extremely rare. "good for an 8 year old I guess?" Your perception of this kids abilities is extremely distorted, This kid is absolutely phenomenal for an 8 year old (or a 12 year old if that's the case)..... He probably plays better than 99 percent of the adults on this forum.

And to talk about an 8 year old's playing lacking soul is just ****************ing ridiculous.....

Comment

Originally posted by r0g3r

That kid can play his ass off...... obviously he'd dedicated a good bit of his childhood to learning to do that. Most kids don't have that kind of discipline.

Kids that can play like this are extremely rare. "good for an 8 year old I guess?" Your perception of this kids abilities is extremely distorted, This kid is absolutely phenomenal for an 8 year old (or a 12 year old if that's the case)..... He probably plays better than 99 percent of the adults on this forum.

And to talk about an 8 year old's playing lacking soul is just ****************ing ridiculous.....

+1

and he's 10000 times better than that **************************** kid playing eruption that was on here a while ago. that kid was full of ****************. he would miss 75% of the notes he played. it was terrible. he thought he was hot **************** obviously though...and the people "worshipping" him were just terrible.

this kid, however actually hits the notes accurately and makes it sound good. there is not stupid ego going on in there. he is actually playing like a true musician.
                    Originally posted by musicdog400
                    Jesus would play in a Jewish Rock Band. The more I think about it the more he might qualify as a rock star. Really into peace and compassion, hanging out with drunks and prostitutes, and occasionally getting mad and turning over tables.

Past productions/Works in progress

Comment

No, a lot of kids don't have that kind of discipline, a lot of people don't have that kind of discipline. Whenever I see prodigies people always, and I mean always compare them to someone famous, so I guess I wasn't giving him much of a break.

I really don't like listening to someone and disliking it, but then saying to myself that it is good for someone that age. That does nothing to change whether I like it or not. When I listen to Django I don't need to say "Well its good for someone with that kind of limitation", I can just say its great the way it is.

Why is it ridiculous to say playing is lacking soul, whether it is an 8 (12?) year old or someone else? That Nick Sterling kid has a hell of a lot more soul than that kid IMO.

Nobody ever said "Wow...that Horowitz is the Jesse Owens of the piano!" or "Hey, that John Coltrane is really trying to impress with all those fast, soulless runs!" You know why that is? Because the people who listen to those musicians actually have the listening skills to understand and appreciate what they're hearing. Only in the guitar crowd do we find so many 'musicians' who have nothing better to do than come up with excuses as to why technical excellence (hell, even competence) is somehow undesirable. That's why the rest of the music world looks down upon guitarists as knuckle-dragging cave-dwelling Neanderthals.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nick
                        and he's 10000 times better than that **************************** kid playing eruption that was on here a while ago. that kid was full of ****************. he would miss 75% of the notes he played. it was terrible. he thought he was hot **************** obviously though...and the people "worshipping" him were just terrible.

Good call! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that was bull**************** with the people worshipping him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nick

+1

this kid, however actually hits the notes accurately and makes it sound good. there is not stupid ego going on in there. he is actually playing like a true musician.

There's no doubt that the kid's good. He could play cirlces around me. He's got his technique to a level where he could do just about anything. However, I do agree with others that that clip lacked soul. He has the tools to do pretty much whatever he wants on the guitar, now he needs to learn how to use them in a more interesting, more soulful manner. But, I have no doubt that he'll be at that level by the time he hits his teen years.
                          One day back in 1953, I married a stapler. That didn't last very long though, because I realized that your face was shaped like a door. Later in 1982, I decided buy a bed, which I stored in a shed.

Gear:
                          ESP LTD MH-400/Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat -> Dunlop Crybaby Wah -> Boss Metalzone -> Peavey Classic 30

...and an A&L Acoustic of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by SRVai

No, a lot of kids don't have that kind of discipline, a lot of people don't have that kind of discipline. Whenever I see prodigies people always, and I mean always compare them to someone famous, so I guess I wasn't giving him much of a break.

I really don't like listening to someone and disliking it, but then saying to myself that it is good for someone that age. That does nothing to change whether I like it or not. When I listen to Django I don't need to say "Well its good for someone with that kind of limitation", I can just say its great the way it is.

Why is it ridiculous to say playing is lacking soul, whether it is an 8 (12?) year old or someone else? That Nick Sterling kid has a hell of a lot more soul than that kid IMO.

Children's brains do not work the same way as those of adults...... they simply don't think the same way.... also they have smaller hands, and have had a lot less time to develop their own style or a sense of maturity in their playing. They haven't had the time to be exposed to as much music as an adult, and they don't have the same reservoir of life experiences to draw on in creating "soulful" music (or developing a cynical outlook) either.

It's only common sense that you wouldn't hold an 8-12 year old to the same standards as an adult. This kid has his whole life ahead of him to develop those other things.... I think he's doing things in the RIGHT order, building the foundation first (while his brain is still wired for learning) and the rest will come in time.

Comment

It's only common sense that you wouldn't hold an 8-12 year old to the same standards as an adult. This kid has his whole life ahead of him to develop those other things.... I think he's doing things in the RIGHT order, building the foundation first (while his brain is still wired for learning) and the rest will come in time.

+10000

I can't believe we're going through this again. Jealousy on these boards is always an ugly thing! This kid is absolutely amazing... but people need to find fault somewhere. Never mind that he's light years beyond just about everyone else at that age.
                              "KA-BONGGGGG!!!"

- El Kabong

Comment

Working...
                              X