Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar tune for every key

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I really don't have any experience with this... I was born with it, as far as I know, and I'm not convinced it can be taught...

    BUT... if I were to try...

    I think the best order would be to absorb one major key at a time, followed by its parallel minor... ie. C major/C minor, C#major/C#minor... and so on.

    If you want to get them all it one sweep, then pick up a copy of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier or Shostakovich's 24 Preludes & Fugues, each of wich contain a set of pieces in every key.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Flamencology


      Major keys like... F#minor? (Crazy Train intro)


      relative.
      Yes, I hate you.

      Comment


      • #18
        look at the verses of Crazy Train.

        A major.

        the fills are in the RELATIVE natural minor to A major...F# minor.
        Yes, I hate you.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Anjinsan
          look at the verses of Crazy Train.

          A major.

          the fills are in the RELATIVE natural minor to A major...F# minor.


          So, what are you arguing, exactly?

          Relative minor or not, the tonal centre (of the intro and bridge, which I specified in the first place) IS in fact F#... you hear them, you don't hear 'relative minor of A major', you hear 'F#minor'... they're totally different keys that happen to share the same notes.

          I'm aware that the verses are in A major... I was just pointing out that the piece jumps back and forth.

          Comment


          • #20
            If you're looking for songs that are recorded in odd keys, you don't have to look far. Check out anything by Hendrix, Van Halen, or Stevie Ray. They tuned down a half-step, so anything in E is really in Eb, and so on. Does that count?
            My Gear:

            Guitars
            Amps

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Flamencology


              So, what are you arguing, exactly?

              Relative minor or not, the tonal centre (of the intro and bridge, which I specified in the first place) IS in fact F#... you hear them, you don't hear 'relative minor of A major', you hear 'F#minor'.

              The piece jumps back and forth.


              I'm arguing that the key is A major. The verse and the chorus are in A Major. The intro, bridge and leads are in F# minor which are clearly just the relative of the major key.

              For the poster's sake let me say that the notes in F# minor and the notes in A Major are identical. So if you learn the Major keys...all you have to do is count to six and you will know the relative minor.

              For example in the key of C Major the notes are as follows: C,D,E,F,G,A,B. C is the first note...and A is the 6th note. A is the relative or natural minor in the key of C.
              Yes, I hate you.

              Comment


              • #22
                For that matter, Revelation (Mother Earth) is in Em, not G...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Flamencology
                  For that matter, Revelation (Mother Earth) is in Em, not G...


                  Ok that I'd agree with...it does sound minor throughout...I do prefer to call pieces by their Major...but if the vast majority is actually using a minor tonal center...(to poster: E minor is the relative or natural minor to G Major and uses the exact same notes)

                  This I hope is not been confusing to the original poster. If you look at what Flame and I have been discussing...you might be able to fill in alot of information for yourself.

                  Please ask questions...do not worry about "stupid" questions for there are none.
                  Yes, I hate you.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Anjinsan



                    Please ask questions...do not worry about "stupid" questions for there are none.


                    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people
                    Originally posted by lastcall
                    Listen you tree hugging hippi. Next time a real rocker tries to sell you some gear to help you shred better you had best say, "thank you sir but we're not talented enough to shred". Then as a show of respect you should ask to see his favorite Ibanez, or ask to touch his mullet for luck. Then maybe, just maybe he'll teach you some of his shredding secrets, and you'll be on your way to being real rock stars.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TheDarxide


                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people


                      And they don't come much stupider than me
























                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by TheBlueGuy
                        If you're looking for songs that are recorded in odd keys, you don't have to look far. Check out anything by Hendrix, Van Halen, or Stevie Ray. They tuned down a half-step, so anything in E is really in Eb, and so on. Does that count?
                        at concert pitch, yeah.

                        Comment



                        Working...
                        X