No announcement yet.

Peavey...show some love.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey...show some love.

If you think about it, Peavey is one of the only major instument/amp manufactuers that has been under the same ownership since day one (I think Marshall too).

The other big boys were bought and sold by the conglomerates numerous times over. I find this interesting given the fact that I think most folks are drawn to a brand name because of its association with a product of the past. Yet new gibsons and fenders really have nothing to do with the great companies we all like to talk about that existed in the 50s. Seems that Peavey never gained the hjgh class reputation it deserved by decideding not to sell out to the big boys and continue to invent and release new stuff year in and year out at affordable prices.

As I see it, Peavey fell victim to "Low prices must equal Low quality" When this has really never been the case

Your thoughts?

I like Peavey. Don't have anything of theres right now, but have had guitars and amps in the past. I'll probably have somthing else again.

They're made down here in the South too
    HCGB #253

Comment

Originally posted by BMCS
      I like Peavey. Don't have anything of theres right now, but have had guitars and amps in the past. I'll probably have somthing else again.

They're made down here in the South too

Meridian, MS, iirc.

I enjoy my T-60. For a "vintage" (1980) US-made guitar in VG condition $200 w/ohsc is a pretty decent deal.

And did I mention the thing can survive a nuclear blast?

The Classic series amps have very good reps too, and the heshers seem to like the 5150 (now 6505).

BK
      Visit Crash Pad at:
      http://CrashPadBand.com
      CONSUME!:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
      Gear List/Pics:
      https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Never owned a peavey guitar but I've owned /used peavey guitar amps, bass amps, Mixers, Power amps, and Speakers for 25 years or so.
        I pretty much abused the guitar amps to death and wont go back to peavey.
        I've been very pleased with the performance of all the other gear tho
        Always held up to life on the road and sounded good (or at least as good as the band)
        my gear
        some crap
        some spare crap in case my regular crap breaks
        HCGB Trooper #252 On permanant KP

Comment

I'm in. I have a Reactor (Tele clone) and a Prowler (45W tube 1x12 combo amp) and am very happy with both. Great values. I bought them in used but pristine shape for $165 and $350 respectively. It's a shame that public opinion of them is so negative, but as long as it is, I'll be happy to take advantage of the bargains that result. I'm seriously thinking about picking up a Predator (Strat copy) one of these days.
          HCGB Trooper #23

Comment

Hmmm....Peavey.

Let's see, I own:

2 x Peavey Classic Chorus 212 amps from the early 90's. They are your typical pre trans-tube solid state amps with the 'superstat' switch that everybody loves to bash. I used them live and recording for about 10 years and managed to get some pretty decent live and recorded tones out of them, plus, I think you could use them as a boat anchor, pull them out of the water and let them dry out for a couple of days and they'd be in perfect working order. The only problem I've ever had out of either of them is that I've blown the speakers a couple of times.

Peavey Classic 50 212. I found it used, but like new for $350. I did replace the stock tubes and speakers in it and it is one hell of a good sounding amp. I did have to have a tech look at the speaker output jack on it because it was shorting out the sound. He fixed it for free though and it's been rock solid ever since.

Peavey Classic 30. I found this one in a pawn shop and got it for $200. It's all stock and I've been using it as my practice and small gig amp for about 6 months now. It sounds great too.

Peavey Wolfgang Standard. I fell in love with this guitar in 1998 and bought it that December. I played it in bars for 4 years without any trouble at all. In 2002, the gold paint began to flake on it, so I contacted Peavey's customer service and they had me send the guitar to them for a warranty repair. The stripped and repainted the guitar for me and it didn't cost me a cent. The guitar looked like a brand spanking new one when I got it back.

Peavey Wolfgang Special Flametop. Even though I didn't really need another Wolfgang, this one had the most unique flametop I'd ever seen, so I bought it. I haven't played it a whole lot, but I haven't had any trouble out of it.

So, while I have had a little bit of trouble out of some of my Peavey stuff, they've always bent over backwards to make it right. That goes a long way with me. They even sent me new chickenhead knobs for my Classic 50 because it was missing one when I bought it. I was up front with them and told them I had bought it used, but they sent me the knobs free of charge.

Oh, my first amp was a Peavey Rage too.
            Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

I have a Peavey instrument cable.
              No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

Comment

I have:

30 watt Classic

1977 Classic 4x10 combo

100 watt Transtube top, w/ 4x12 slant cab

I pulled the logos off; it was funny to see someone using one of the above amps, comment on how much they liked it, then ask who made it.
                Member: HCGB (# 81)

"You smell like wet Tech Support.......with onions."

Comment

Did you see the article on Peavey in last month's Guitar Player?

The article and its use of quotes made the guy come across as having just an enormus chip on his shoulder. He sounded totally bitter about the perception that his gear is of low quality just because of price.

He also went on about how he was the first to use computer machining etc. to build guitars and how now all manufacturers do this after having mocked him etc. There was also a bit about some new drum technology that never took off if memory serves.

I sort of allowed for the fact that they probably used his juciest quotes, but judging solely from this article, the guy sounds like he's incredibly bitter. I suppose you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

Personally I really have little experience with Peavey gear other than the random amp I might have come across is various rehersal studios etc.

Comment

I have a Classic 30, which I love.
                    I also have a Milestone 12, 12-string electric, which is ugly as sin but sounds pretty nice.
                    I've got a Peavey SS power amp and a couple of PA speakers too--they do the job nicely.
                    In the past, I had a Peavey 4x12 cab and a very cool electric (looked kinda like a Kramer--1 humbucker and a maple neck that played like butter).
                    My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Strings74
                      I sort of allowed for the fact that they probably used his juciest quotes, but judging solely from this article, the guy sounds like he's incredibly bitter. I suppose you gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know that he sounded "incredibly bitter" but his point that people have equated low price with low quality does appear applicable. I'd be disappointed, too, if I got no respect after so many years while competitors have basically sold out and rode undeserved reputations based on brand name alone, letting quality slip while continuing to raise prices.

I only own my USA-built Firenza, but it's a superb guitar that other players who I respect have admired. When I've tried out a similarly endowed USA-built Fender, I would only consider trading it because of its perceived value in the marketplace. I'd be very tempted to sell it, buy another Peavey and pocket the profit.

Peavey has a solid history of worthwhile innovations while maintaining quality and charging a reasonable price. Staying in business for 40 years without selling out must mean he's established a fairly strong loyal base of customers without having to screw them over with unreasonable pricing. Is there another explanation that works?
                      I don't want to make the voices go away, doc, I just want to adjust the bass and treble.

"One can't be young forever, but trust me, immature is definitely doable."--BK

==>CHARTER MEMBER (#8): HC GEEZER BRIGADE!!

Comment

I currently own 1 Custom US Wolfang Standard (Purple quilt, rosewood fingerboard) , 3 US Wolfgang Standards (Tobacco Sunburst, Cherryburst, and Black), and 1 US Special flame top (Red). All w/ trems.

I've never had trouble with any Wolfgang, and needless to say, they're my favorite guitar ever. Also, I'm in the market for a nice Blue Wolfie with a Floyd. Let me know if if you got one! ;P

Comment

Originally posted by deevee

I don't know that he sounded "incredibly bitter" but his point that people have equated low price with low quality does appear applicable. I'd be disappointed, too, if I got no respect after so many years while competitors have basically sold out and rode undeserved reputations based on brand name alone, letting quality slip while continuing to raise prices.

I only own my USA-built Firenza, but it's a superb guitar that other players who I respect have admired. When I've tried out a similarly endowed USA-built Fender, I would only consider trading it because of its perceived value in the marketplace. I'd be very tempted to sell it, buy another Peavey and pocket the profit.

Peavey has a solid history of worthwhile innovations while maintaining quality and charging a reasonable price. Staying in business for 40 years without selling out must mean he's established a fairly strong loyal base of customers without having to screw them over with unreasonable pricing. Is there another explanation that works?

Well, I'm not criticizing him at all and surely your explanation is reasonable. I also thought that much of what he said was also reasonable and I actually made a mental note to check out their gear after hearing what the guy had to say.

However, yeah I kinda thought he came across as bitter. Just my opinion.

Comment

I have a USA Peavey Foundation Bass, which is great, and a Rockmaster Preamp, which is also great. Very versitile preamp, different effects loops for each channel, plus a master effects loop, = 4 effects loops on 3 channels. Nice!

If you want to SAVE ROCK 'n' ROLL, Join The MAZI BEE KICK ASS MILITIA!!!

**FOR SALE**

more stuff soon

Comment

I've had numerous Peavey amps through the years.

I still have an old XR600B I use as a monitor mixer/amp/backup. It's indestructible.

Comment

Working...
                              X