Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Gibson start advertising in Newsweek?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Gibson start advertising in Newsweek?

I don't normally read this magazine, but I saw a recent edition with a Gibson ad. It surprised me to see a guitar ad in a major magazine which has a large readership of normal people and not just kids and guitar players.

Gibson has great marketing talent, so I'm sure they did their research and will get their ad money's worth. The ad played on the typical "hero-worship" thing that has served Gibson so well for a half century.

They're going for a more upscale demographic than just "guitar players". They're looking to equate a Gibson guitar with other status symbols like Hummers, Sub-Zero refrigerators, and Miele dishwashers. Broadening their customer base is the obvious marketing tactic, but the other aspect of this is that playing guitar has become an acceptable pastime in the "serious business world".

You see, Gibson is looking to have their instrument played by "quality people". People with money. People with discriminating taste. People who only want the best, in the food they eat, the car they drive, the wine they drink, the golf clubs they use to play, the tennis racquet they choose -- in short, "quality people".

Or posers.

How many Historic LP's will we see in the hands of people who can't play well? Or, more likely, in their children's hands?

Oh, well. Maybe there'll be the used market for folks like me, who can buy the LP that Chip or Clipper got for his 14th birthday, and didn't play. Probably when his parents buy the first car for him for his 16th birthday. "After all, we have to show the young lad that there are CONSEQUENCES when a gift is unused. Some poor person can probably use it."
    Ronzo / Ronzo II (when at work)

Originally posted by jerry_picker
    In my experience, most people who say "newk-yuh-ler" for nuclear are piss-their-pants afraid of anything smacking of real science.

Originally Posted by 2manband
    Women write to inmates because Jazzercize class was cancelled, the 14 cats are fed, and Murder She Wrote doesn't come on for another 2 hours.

Dark Star pilot, Mazi Bee Militia
    Member of the SG Army
    HC Geezer Brigade Trooper #228
    Colonel, Epi Valve Junior Army

Comment

Yay. Another marketing conjecture thread by amateur economic/sociology analysts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronzo II
        They're going for a more upscale demographic than just "guitar players". They're looking to equate a Gibson guitar with other status symbols like Hummers, Sub-Zero refrigerators, and Miele dishwashers. Broadening their customer base is the obvious marketing tactic, but the other aspect of this is that playing guitar has become an acceptable pastime in the "serious business world".

You see, Gibson is looking to have their instrument played by "quality people". People with money. People with discriminating taste. People who only want the best, in the food they eat, the car they drive, the wine they drink, the golf clubs they use to play, the tennis racquet they choose -- in short, "quality people".

Or posers.

How many Historic LP's will we see in the hands of people who can't play well? Or, more likely, in their children's hands?

Oh, well. Maybe there'll be the used market for folks like me, who can buy the LP that Chip or Clipper got for his 14th birthday, and didn't play. Probably when his parents buy the first car for him for his 16th birthday. "After all, we have to show the young lad that there are CONSEQUENCES when a gift is unused. Some poor person can probably use it."

People who read Newsweak are not the most discriminating people. It's mostly just trendy gadgets and celeb/political gossip. It's like the E! channel in magazine format.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSchreimann

People who read Newsweak are not the most discriminating people. It's mostly just trendy gadgets and celeb/political gossip. It's like the E! channel in magazine format.

yeah but they *think* they're smart.

If Gibbo is so smart with their marketing savvy, how come their guitars aren't in Sam Ash anymore?
          Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

It's called "sarcasm".

I'm not commenting here on how good or bad a news magazine NewsweEk is (as opposed to NewsweAk ). The comment was more about the search for "quality people" -- a phrase I find repugnant.

I know quite a few so-called "quality people". I've lived in Nassau County, NY for most of my adult life, and in South Florida for the last 9 years. These are two of the wealthiest areas in the USA. I see a large number of pretentious jerks that think they can buy their way through life. Perhaps they can -- I know I can't.

But, to paraphrase P.J.O'Rourke: "A walk through the ocean of most of their souls would scarcely get your feet wet."

In my experience, most people who say "newk-yuh-ler" for nuclear are piss-their-pants afraid of anything smacking of real science.

Women write to inmates because Jazzercize class was cancelled, the 14 cats are fed, and Murder She Wrote doesn't come on for another 2 hours.

Member of the SG Army

Comment

Or posers.

I guess that solves their QC issues. The real players will pick through all the crap to find the keepers and the others will be bought up by these idiots who don't know any better. Either way, Gibson wins.

Comment

The guitarist is playing longer now. As another has said...it's an acceptable hobby. Certainly better than adding more golfers to this planet! I've even ran into a small ad firm where the bosses were all in a gigging band!

The businessmen at Gibson prolly play guitar. It's only a matter of time before they realised other businessmen were too.

Newsweek I'll also agree is NOT that fancy a publication. If they were strictly targeting the "yuppies" they would do much better in a hi-end men's fashion mag or hell even a Car and Driver.
                Yes, I hate you.

Comment

They're going for a more upscale demographic than just "guitar players".

Newsweek is upscale? It's more like the People of news magazines.

Newsweek can be bought regionally which brings the cost way down, you can choose a specific market and get an ad in Newsweek for about 5 grand. I doubt Gibson bought the entire country.

Comment

Or posers.

you forgot to mention Harley's

Comment

Yay. Another marketing conjecture thread by amateur economic/sociology analysts.

No. An actual guitar related, thought provoking thread on a guitar forum for people who are interested discussing the topic at hand. Bet you knew that, but wanted to be contrary.

Comment

They advertise on Bravo to. Only seen it once or twice, but a TV ad for guitars was kinda weird/cool. Both times I saw it during West Wing.

Comment

As many as they want and can afford to buy.

After all....it's their money.

Comment

Newsweek hates freedom, as witnessed by their publication of the Koran flushing story. Therefore, Gibson is targeting the dollars of the rich freedom haters, like Al Franken and John Fogerty. This will make them poorer, which will lessen their contributions to the Democratic Party. Thus, with more fundraising, the Republicans will again control all the branches of the government in '06 and '08. Ingenious.
                            Member of the MAZI BEE MILITIA

Originally posted by khopirron
                            I'm 25 and i buy 15$ band t-shirts, i'm not 70 and wearing top hats.

Comment

Originally posted by maccashash
                              Newsweek hates freedom, as witnessed by their publication of the Koran flushing story. Therefore, Gibson is targeting the dollars of the rich freedom haters, like Al Franken and John Fogerty. This will make them poorer, which will lessen their contributions to the Democratic Party. Thus, with more fundraising, the Republicans will again control all the branches of the government in '06 and '08. Ingenious.

In the immortal words of a guy down in SoFla named Marty,

"They took my car... they shaved my horse...
                              It was those Nazi... bastards, of course...
                              Oooh -- ooo, those Nazi bastards...
                              Oooh -- ooo, those Nazi bastards!"

Member of the SG Army

Comment

Working...
                              X